Black Friday - finally starting to get it together

Bookumdano2

• Members

Looks like a few ... maybe a LOT of resellers are opening their doors at 10pm or earlier on Thanksgiving .. instead of making people wait outside all night for the next morning.

A cool step forward in the corny Black Friday tradition.

Open the doors at 10pm to herd everyone in and then put the deals up at midnight after a bazillion people are already inside. What a trip that'll be.

I've done the Black Friday thing exactly once in my life when my kids were little. They wanted to get up early to go to Best Buy one year on BF. Big mistake. Never did that again.

I'll check out the newegg deals and order online like civilized people.

But it is cool that stores are opening on Thanksgiving itself. I hate holidays, especially when stores close.

I even see that some retailers have actually officially posted their BF ads now. Used to be a big secret. Not any more. Especially with this economy.

I do see a few hard drive deals. Not many. Drives are what I'll be watching for as the next two weeks get closer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

For computer stuff I usually go to my local MicroCenter the day after BF because most people that go on BF are there for TV's and Prebuilt PC's and there's plenty of PC component stuff(CPU/Ram/HD etc.)stuff still cheap. Also my local GC/Sam Ash is never crowded that day for some reason.

• Members

Not seeing encouraging signs on internal drive deals for Friday but I do have a question-

It looks like a few places will have the 2tb Seagate freeAgent external drive (STAC2000100) for about $75, starting Friday or Thursday night. Maybe lower. It's 5900rpm, which is fine for me for archive storage. Question is... can those be easily extracted out of their external case to then use as a standard internal sata drive? I haven't really been able to locate much info on that.

Pricing is really strange. External drives like that Seagate at around $159 (today, various places), but a bare oem drive from Newegg (5900rpm) is $199 or up. Same two year warranty on either. What's the diff on the drive in the external? ha... maybe it's ide inside.

By the way, I must've missed something. Newegg sells refrigerators, washers, and I dunno what else. When did that start? Are they now transforming from the old Egghead software stores to Newegg, to AmazEgg?

• Members

Black Friday... never understood it, never will. My sister in law will wake up at 4a and hit the mall when they open but now it seems like the malls are opening even earlier. Pretty soon, they`ll be open on Thanksgiving Day too. Pointless.

I actually don`t shop for sales. If I need something, I buy it. If its on sale, great. If not, not a big deal. I do think we are losing our sense of what holidays are all about: family coming together for the day. Yeah, I agree, its not always the most pleasant time because its difficult to fake having a great time all day with everyone but honestly, I don`t think this trend towards more consumerism is a good thing.

This is the first holiday season I have resolved not to pull out my credit card... all cash here.

Archived