Fixing an Optigan in Los Angeles?

UstadKhanAli

• Members

A friend of mine has an Optigan organ that needs some fixing. According to him, when playing a disk, some of the buttons do not work, and the motor is very loud, so loud that in some instances it's almost louder than the tones. Lemme know if you can recommend anybody who works on these. Thanks!

• Members

A friend of mine has an Optigan organ that needs some fixing. According to him, when playing a disk, some of the buttons do not work, and the motor is very loud, so loud that in some instances it's almost louder than the tones. Lemme know if you can recommend anybody who works on these. Thanks!

Some of the chord buttons on my Optigan don

• Members

Jack at Future Music in Highland Park may be able to help. He has an old church carillion that he is restoring so he seems to be okay with the esoteric stuff. 323 344-0029.

I recently got a synth repaired at Advanced Musical Electronics in Culver City. Much easier job than what your friend has (busted encoders on a Virus) but they were good, fast and friendly. Ruth: 310 559 3157.

• Members

I used to love to walk by mall stores with ongoing Optigan demos going on... there was usually some guy with slicked down, brilliantined hair making a big theatrical show of playing, lots of Liberace moves from those guys. I remember that, as you got closer, you could hear the motor and mechanism whirring away. It was a real WTF kind of thing, since all it was was a motor spinning the optical disk, you'd think electric motor technology hadn't improved since the 1890s. I've heard steam hurdy gurdies with quieter mechanisms. :D

There's a lot of general info in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optigan

And there's even a site dedicated to that very interesting instrument: www.optigan.com

• Members

I haven't started to record this thing yet, but when I will, I will

1) Probably replace the power supply with a regulated one.

2) Tap off audio from the PRE-AMP section directly.

3) Possibly replace certain electronic components with their newer lower noise counterparts. (I did this before with some 741 op amps)

Keep in mind that this was originally designed to be a toy, even though I have heard it called a "poor mans mellotron" by a few people.

Dan

Archived