Want!

UstadKhanAli

• Members

Do I need one? I have one of these (and don't ask me why):

Electric_Sitar_%28RD%29_at_Aleph_Studios

Amazingly enough, I was the first musician to use a Coral sitar on stage. The company wasn't far away from where I was playing, so they brought over one of the first production models to get my opinion. It fed back like a banshee on methedrine, and I unplugged it after about 30 seconds when I realized there was no way to get it to stop.

As a studio thing, though, it was pretty cool. It became Vinnie Bell's sort of "Signature sound." And based on the demos I've seen. the Ravish Sitar indeed turns your guitar into a virtual Coral Sitar, and you don't need the funny bridge, either :)

• Members

Dunno about that demo. Too many pads around every single part of the demo.

Craig, when you get the box, see if it can do plain' ol normal 1 second sitar notes without all that other spacey gunk going on. Single isolated notes like at the beginning of these songs (the Cyrkle one below being I believe a Coral)-

• Members

Do I need one? I have one of these (and don't ask me why):

Electric_Sitar_%28RD%29_at_Aleph_Studios

Like a lotus, the mystery of Mike just keeps unfolding...

Maybe it's just 'cause I've been listening ot a lot of real sitar as played by certified western folkies, John Renbourn (Pentangle) and Mike Heron (Incredible String Band) but I'd see this more as a live/stage sort of thing, I think -- since those guys prove that westerners playing sitars -- while not sounding like an Indian master, perhaps -- can make beautiful, uncheezy music on a sitar, unlike the wave of often clumsy use in 60s pop music.

This stomper would have been great during my live looping days. Of course, so would delays with more than 8 seconds each. :D

• Members

The pedal allows the entry of 17 notes in their "sympathetic scale" function, which made me wonder why we don't see something like a step-sequencer implemented in the newer looping-enabled multi-effect pedals. They have the memory and it seems like you should be able to trim with an envelope.

• Moderators

I recall a night in the 80's, I was 19. Working on demos at a Chatsworth, CA studio. The producer thinks a Coral would be the ticket to double our guitar theme. So we go about driving around Chatsworth trying to locate where the Coral is. Only now do I realize the producer must've been doing coke. It would've been great to whip out the EH pedal. Back in the studio, I've got what we need!

• CMS Author

Amazingly enough, I was the first musician to use a Coral sitar on stage.

As a studio thing, though, it was pretty cool. It became Vinnie Bell's sort of "Signature sound." And based on the demos I've seen. the Ravish Sitar indeed turns your guitar into a virtual Coral Sitar, and you don't need the funny bridge, either
:)

I think the best thing about it is the look on people's faces when I open the case. I don't even have to plug it in. They can't imagine why I have something like that. I'm the one with banjos and Martin guitars and mandocellos hanging on the walls, remember? But there's a pedal steel and an EML-101 real analog synth in the corner, too.

• Members

Coincidental topic cause I did a tune yesterday and threw my electric sitar on there.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1682170/Trance%20%5BMaster%5D.wav

I put a three way active EQ in mine to enhance the sound quality.

Made a big difference for both using it live and recording quite a bit.

At the time I got it I looked into Sitar emulators and the options were limited.

I tried the Midi guitar thing but there were the obvious problems with string attack and latency.

I also heard the dan electro boxes were pretty horrible too. The sitar was a gift so its not something

I would have bought, but it does have the sound you hear on many pop hits, plus you dont have to

take a lifetime to learn how to play the real thing.

Even George Harrison said, He could spend the rest of his life working at it and said he'd be no

better than a mediochre player because he didnt live in the indian culture growing up which is

a huge part of that music nor started at a young enough age to have a chance of being a master at it.

Its still a very fun sound to work with though. I dont use it a whole lot, but it does add a whole different flavor

you cant get from other stringed instruments.

• Members

I have a pedal called The Weapon that has a bunch effects inspired by/designed by the guitarist with the Disturbed. Among its collection of effects it has a sitar effect that sounds pretty close to the 60s electric sitar sound. If it still available I'm sure its cheaper (but probably not as tweakable) than the ElectroHarmonix unit.

• Members
EFX Ravish Sitar pedal

I demoed one of these at our guitar shop. It's a dream, and we've already sold out the few they've sent us. I'm most impressed with the organ-like timbres and envelopes you can get out of it. BTW someone on the EH website recreated "Won't Get Fooled Again" with the HOG and the Deluxe Memory Man. I can see how you can do the same using this and a tremolo pedal. Gotta start saving more money!

Archived