The virtual world, virtual everything, list your favourite

pressthekey

• Members

I have recently sold most of my gear, analog synths, guitars, tape recorders, rackmount fx, amps, even the mixing desk, about to go virtual. Even the camera and video recorder is now digital.

If i asked you to list your ideal digital "everything" studio, what would it be?

I'm asking you to list two versions of a digital studio, one a "no expense spared" virtual studio and the other that's "totally free" using freeware. If that's not a challenge for some of you i'm also asking you to name only one piece of software for each category.

I need the following software, i will not be using a mixer for this project

Electric guitar

Guitar amp

Analog synth

Acoustic drum kit

Multi effects and mastering software.

• Members

If i asked you to list your ideal digital "everything" studio, what would it be?

- digital audio productio software

- a room

- a pair of speakers

- a table

- one chair

workplaces31.jpg

- a window for the singer

workplaces01.jpg

- a sortiment of best DSP plugins

- a few microphones

workplaces23.jpg

- rooms to compose and edit the music

workplaces24.jpg

workplaces16.jpg

- a bed for the artists

workplaces17.jpg

- a table to eat

- a pool next to the recording and control room

workplaces22.jpg

and

- some original musical ideas

• Members

All religions. Do I have to list them all for you?

I guess the title is a little over the top.

After much testing of software, googling, reading posts, visiting forums i'm still non the wiser as to which are the industry standard and highest quality virtual software to replace hardware or if the free software is as good as the paid for software?

It's been quite difficult finding the right host sequencing software. I guess i should go with my ears, a few software stand out, always interesting to know what others are using.

• Members

- digital audio productio software

- a room

- a pair of speakers

- a table

- one chair

workplaces31.jpg

Very nice indeed, although i'm trying to get away from the bigger studio, done that. It's laptops, potability the way i'm thinking.

Have things moved on so much now that you can do most of producing out of or away from the more traditional studio?

• Members

All well known digital audio production software is good enough to produce to the todays sonic standards, such as Nuendo, Logic, Cubase and so on.

With plugins, there is a lot of crap out there, what you need is a few Eq plugins - usually the in the digital aidio production software included Eq's are good enough for everything,

then a artificial reverberator, i..e. the Lexicon Native sounds best to me at the moment, an audio interface, most of the available interfaces are very good, also in the lower price range, you won't hear a diff'rence between a $2000 interface and a $400 interface, except you have a high resolution monitoring, the you heartiny sonic diffrences, but such speakers cost $25,000 the piece, $50,000 the pair.

at least on good microphone, and a pair of speakers who tell you a high resolution picture of the recorded material, that's all.

• Members

This is the room of the mixer. I never work in this room, sometime just sit there for a few minutes to listen to some mixes he did.

I compose as well mix in a room with a small table, a power amp and two monitor, nothing more. Recoding a grand, or a guitar with an amp for example, I go to a larger room with a usable ambience, or a room with a grand which has the particular sound the music is calling for. Of course a lot I do in the box today, mainly for movie and tv production where the budget is set by the client.

Very nice indeed, although i'm trying to get away from the bigger studio, done that. It's laptops, potability the way i'm thinking.

Have things moved on so much now that you can do most of producing out of or away from the more traditional studio?

• Members

The only problem you have to solve is, how to record acoustic musical instruments, a single instrument, band or ensemble with a useful ambience, that requires a large room with useful early reflections, hall and ambience.

• Members

I've been considering reason 6, i have a love hate thing going with reason though, this time it seems to have improved sound, older versions sound flat to me, exporting and producing out of reason couldn't really put back that loss of original quality to its sound? I also find it difficult to forgive the company for its stubboness regarding vsti usage. I have had moments when i would have liked to go all reason though.

Same for wave plugs, i've been considering them, i'm told they are amongst the best, very nice but i expected more, especially the reverbs.

• Members

My current music production system:

HARDWARE:

MacBook Pro

with about 4.5 TB of external HD

Apogee ONE

Blue Sky MediaDesk 2.1 system

Sony MDR-V6 headphones

Emu Xboard 61

A couple of AT condenser mics, a Shure SM58

SOFTWARE:

Logic Pro/MainStage

mostly using Sculpture physical modeling synth & Space Designer with Acousticas' Lexicon IRs

Expert Sleepers' Augustus Loop and Meringue

112db Redline Reverb

Michael Norris FFT spectral plugins

AAS Tassman, String Studio and Ultra Analog

Waldorf Largo

NI Prism

GForce M-Tron Pro

Korg Wavestation & M1 plugins

• Members
The only problem you have to solve is, how to record acoustic musical instruments, a single instrument, band or ensemble with a useful ambience, that requires a large room with useful early reflections, hall and ambience.

At this point i'm not using any acoustic instruments, vocals will be kept to short phrases due to the style of music.

• Members

My current music production system:

HARDWARE:

SOFTWARE:

Logic Pro/MainStage

mostly using Sculpture physical modeling synth & Space Designer with Acousticas' Lexicon IRs

Expert Sleepers' Augustus Loop and Meringue

112db Redline Reverb

Michael Norris FFT spectral plugins

AAS Tassman, String Studio and Ultra Analog

Waldorf Largo

NI Prism

GForce M-Tron Pro

Korg Wavestation & M1 plugins

That software list is very impressive, I have been considering some of those, very high quality list. How have you been using the AAS software? what style of music?

• Members

I've been considering reason 6, i have a love hate thing going with reason though, this time it seems to have improved sound, older versions sound flat to me, exporting and producing out of reason couldn't really put back that loss of original quality to its sound? I also find it difficult to forgive the company for its stubboness regarding vsti usage. I have had moments when i would have liked to go all reason though.

Same for wave plugs, i've been considering them, i'm told they are amongst the best, very nice but i expected more, especially the reverbs.

I`ll tell you, I`ve been doing some projects in Reason 6 with lots of vocals, piano, some other instruments... its improved my work flow. I record lots of vocals for my work and I would say that I`m shaving off a good 15%- 20% of the time it used to take me. Exporting entire sessions take seconds whereas in DP, it can take a minute or so. Just for that, I`m saving lots of time.

I never had a problem with the sound of the program because everything can be tweaked and I`m not one to stick with the presets. I usually tweak everything or make my own patches or Combinator. I have a piano preset that I tweaked and have used it since. I think if you dislike the sound of REASON, you need to investigate it more and start tweaking. To me, REASON is a program that has no end, the more you learn about it, the more you realize how deep it goes.

My only gripe so far changing tempo in the middle of a tune. Sometimes I will put down some vocals and decide later to change the tempo so REASON does a phenomenal job of adjusting the vocals in time but it leaves artifacts and it sounds like the vocals are going through a cheap auto tune program so I will mention it to the Propheads and see if it can be addressed in later versions.

I`m also not crazy about jumping from one window to another so I want to look into customizing the windows more... not sure if it can be done in this version.

Aside from those two issues, I`m very happy with REASON 6.

• Members

Aside from those two issues, I`m very happy with REASON 6.

I'm going to try the demo again.

When i mentioned about the flat sound in previous versions i wasn't refering to using presets, i'm very much oldskool when it comes to synths, rarely use presets, that's why i was drawn towards reason, all those synths and samplers, the way you can layer in combinator, all very impressive. I've read that a few producers have questioned the sound quality with reason, it's as if there is some sort of compression of the samples, something also at the mixer stage, it may be slight but it's especially noticeable with orchestral samples, i've always wondered if that's why reason runs on lower spec machines. Without doubt an impressive program, with the right refills and mastering outside of reason, it could probably take the place of an whole studio of gear.

Interestingly enough, many now seem to be talking about the new improved sound of this new version, some hinting that the company has indeed improved on something?

• Members

Naturally, this would interest me. Do you have a link or any music you can share?

Sorry, no music online. I did release a space music CD in 1994 that got some HOS and A Star's End airplay, but that's about it.

I'm thinking maybe I'll get with the new millennium and put together something for iTunes sometime. :lol:

• Members

I have recently sold most of my gear, analog synths, guitars, tape recorders, rackmount fx, amps, even the mixing desk, about to go virtual. Even the camera and video recorder is now digital.

Sorry to hear that. My condolences. There are no virtual equivalents to many hardware devices. It

Archived