Pc for recording and potential registry problems

meknight

• Members

(also posted in windows forum; wanted a few more opinions though)

I know about the PC v Mac war for audio and I don't want to restart it. BUT I have a specific PC related question. Maybe Craig A or John C can answer or anyone for that matter. With a new PC, is the window registry a problem that ultimately limits the performance of a pc over time. I've read and heard lots of opinions, but I have not heard a clearly rational answer. I am considering getting Sonar x1 and I am told that the new pc's with windows 7 don't have as many problems with registry burdening and degrading performance, and that certain registry managemnt programs solve the problem also.

Any thoughts?

MK

• Members

I pretty much ignore the registry except when I have to do some complete uninstall of a beta program, and the manufacturer gives me instructions on what to do.

The registry is a fiasco and one of the main pro-Mac arguments. It basically keeps track of everything you've installed and uninstalled, all your drivers, etc. But, as with so many other aspects of Windows, it's gotten better over the years. If you don't load up your computer with tons o' junnk, you'll probably never really know it's there.

As to "registry fixers," don't use them unless you need to...let sleeping dogs lie :)

Archived