Auto-Wah Questions

• Members

I asked this question on the Line6 boards, because half of it is Line6 specific. The other half is general, maybe someone here can help:

I've got a Line6 Spider IV 120w amp and an FBV Express Pedal Board. I'm trying to work out a trick with the auto-wah. I've got two questions:

A) What the heck does the "Q" setting control?

B) The auto-wah seems to react to velocity (aka. How hard I'm hitting the strings. More velocity = more treble). Is there a way to get it to constantly sweep? I'd like a wah that sweeps around automatically after I strike a single chord.

In the song I'm working on, I need to end a quick loop and start playing a wah passage on the same beat. Obviously, I can't hit the button to end the loop and sweep the wah pedal on the same beat. I need an auto-wah that does the sweeping for me. I need it to sweep that first note, so two strums at different velocities isn't an option either. I'm not crazy, I'll re-write the song if I have to, but if it's possible to get the auto-wah to do the sweeping for me, I'd like that better!

Thanks!

• Members

What you're trying to accomplish would be easy "in the box", with a plugin like Sonitus Wah-Wah. It has four different means by which the Wah is triggered.

The Q setting refers to to the steepness of the Wah's filtration wave. The higher the number, the more dramatic and sibilant will be the "wacka-wacka" sound.

• Members

What you're trying to accomplish would be easy "in the box", with a plugin like Sonitus Wah-Wah. It has four different means by which the Wah is triggered.

The Q setting refers to to the steepness of the Wah's filtration wave. The higher the number, the more dramatic and sibilant will be the "wacka-wacka" sound.

Can that be added to a Line6 amp or just a DAW?

• Members

Q is the inverse of the bandwidth of the swept filter. Higher Q = narrower band. That's not a Line 6 term, it's generic. The height of the filter bump would be controlled by an "amount" parameter.

The term "Auto Wah" usually means the filter is a volume envelope follower. What you want is an LFO-driven Wah. That would either be a different mode for the effect, or a different effect. Sometimes, the normal WAH function will do this whenever you don't have an expression pedal configured. Look for any WAH function with a "Rate" parameter.

Can that be added to a Line6 amp or just a DAW?

He's talking about software. Amps and stompboxes don't support plugins.

• Members

A phaser with a narrow Q is an example of an automated wah.

My suggestion would be to get a an actual wah wah or experssion pedal for your line 6

so you have the ability to control the wah instead of relying on the note dynamics to accomplish

what you're trying to do

• Members

My suggestion would be to get a an actual wah wah or experssion pedal for your line 6

so you have the ability to control the wah instead of relying on the note dynamics to accomplish

what you're trying to do

That's what the FCV is; he already has traditional wah pedal functionality. He wants a cyclic one (like a phaser, which might be the closest he'll get with that gear.)

The Line 6 manual doesn't even show what the parameters for the AutoWah function are, unfortunately.

• 3 years later...

Archived