Acoustica Mixcraft 6

pbognar

• Members

It seems that a certain high profile music tech expert and reviewer recently tested latency of an Ipad based guitar processor / computer interface with Sonar and Mixcraft 6.

Would that expert care to share his / her thoughts on Mixcraft 6? ;)

• Members

Mixcraft 6 is actually very cool. I became aware of it a couple revs ago, and filed it under "has potential." Well, 6 seems like the one that's reached critical mass. It handles lanes, overdubs, punches, loop recording, and the like really well. It has surprisingly good video capabilities as well.

It hasn't replaced my usual DAWs, because there are several fairly esoteric features I need that it doesn't have (e.g., control surface support, ability to edit Acidized files, MIDI plug-ins, etc.). But it sure gives fantastic bang for the buck.

The Acoustica guys knew I dug the program and having seen my videos for Cakewalk, Gibson, Avid, PreSonus, TC Electronic, E-H, Harmony Central, etc. asked if I'd put one together for them as well as some tutorials. In the process, I'm learning quite a bit about how the program works.

But hey--download the trial version, that will tell you what you need to know :)

• Members

Mixcraft 6 is actually very cool. I became aware of it a couple revs ago, and filed it under "has potential." Well, 6 seems like the one that's reached critical mass. It handles lanes, overdubs, punches, loop recording, and the like really well. It has surprisingly good video capabilities as well.

It hasn't replaced my usual DAWs, because there are several fairly esoteric features I need that it doesn't have (e.g., control surface support, ability to edit Acidized files, MIDI plug-ins, etc.). But it sure gives fantastic bang for the buck.

The Acoustica guys knew I dug the program and having seen my videos for Cakewalk, Gibson, Avid, PreSonus, TC Electronic, E-H, Harmony Central, etc. asked if I'd put one together for them as well as some tutorials. In the process, I'm learning quite a bit about how the program works.

But hey--download the trial version, that will tell you what you need to know
:)

I'd seen your reviews of previous versions - "sort of the the little engine that could"... and the price was rediculous. I still think of it as Garageband for Windows (that's a complement - I wonder why no one else saw the market niche?).

I don't personally own the program yet, but watched the development of version 6 with their beta releases. I'm primarily an X1 user (hopefully X2 especially if they give the staff view even the slightest bit of attention - like fixing what they have broken).

For the price, I feel like adding it to my library, and I want to reward an ambitious group of people (especially Acoustica Dan).

I just had to smile when I saw that you had version 6 running to test a hardware piece.

Let us know if you review it, or create some videos / tutorials.

• Members

I'm primarily an X1 user (hopefully X2 especially if they give the staff view even the slightest bit of attention - like fixing what they have broken).

X2 certainly looks like they're on to something. I don't know if they'll give staff view any attention, though...that seems to be low on the list of priorities. But so many people complain about it on the forums, maybe they'll make some changes :) Still, I find X1 a very facile program and it looks like X2 will do a bunch of useful tweaks.

For the price, I feel like adding it to my library, and I want to reward an ambitious group of people (especially Acoustica Dan).

Dan ROCKS. Super nice guy, very smart, very into improving the program. Part of the deal about doing videos for companies is that I retain artistic control over what I do, but in his case, I didn't even have to ask (see, I told you he was smart).

True story: When I did three videos for Avid about Venom (this was before they sold M-Audio, I have no idea what's going to happen with the videos :(), I said I wanted to show it working with programs other than Pro Tools, and told them I was going to use Mixcraft and Ableton Live. They were totally fine with throwing some luv Dan's way. Seems just about everyone has that same "little engine that could" attitude about Mixcraft.

Well I just checked their YouTube channel, and it seems they've already posted two of my tutorials, and an overview video that I had a blast making (you'll see why :). Here's the first tutorial, on recording audio tracks.

[video=youtube;sJQvYt4RbNQ]

And here's the second one, on recording modes and lanes.

[video=youtube;nw80Wr0EuoI]

Finally, here's the overview video which I suppose could also double as a Sony Vegas 10 demo :)

[video=youtube;fJPe1DwXPuE]

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Mixcraft is very cool! I became aware of it at Winter NAMM a couple of years ago. Dan was doing their demo. He is a great guy.

At that point, I was traveling with a Dell PC and wanted a DAW that was intuitive, to me, handled loops well, was stable and didn't get in my way, while trying to get an idea down. Mixcraft covered all of those points, and more. IMHO, it's the way to go for a Win only DAW.

If they were able to make some more deals that "include" mixcraft with a hardware interfaces, their user base would grow much faster. "Seeding" your market is a big deal for software manufacturers. I wish them good luck.

• Members

I did another tutorial, on punch and loop recording. It should go live in a day or two...when it does, I'll embed it in this thread.

One of the cool things about the video is there's a section on how to use Mixcraft as a DigiTech/Roland/Korg etc. looper :)

• CMS Author

I first noticed Acoustica when they introduced Spin It Again, a program dedicated to digitizing records and tapes. I still recommend it to friends and neighbors who want to load their record collection on the computer.In this high tech world, it takes guts to come up with a program that does something that's pretty simple, but still beyond the ability of a 60 year old retiree whose kids have all grown up and moved away. ;)

• Members

I did another tutorial, on punch and loop recording. It should go live in a day or two...when it does, I'll embed it in this thread.

One of the cool things about the video is there's a section on how to use Mixcraft as a DigiTech/Roland/Korg etc. looper
:)

Nice job Craig.

Looking forward to more Mixcraft video goodness. :thu:

Archived