Is there anything about you which is false?

Mark L

• Members

Is there anything about you which is false?

I'm in my 40th or so year of overdubbing blazing lead gtr solos in small sections to then create mind-blowing big solos. I refuse to gig any more, so no one knows for sure (including me), what I would sound like, playing my own stuff live.

Does that make me false?

Does this guitar make me look fat?

• Members

I'm in my 40th or so year of overdubbing blazing lead gtr solos in small sections to then create mind-blowing big solos. I refuse to gig any more, so no one knows for sure (including me), what I would sound like, playing my own stuff live.

Does that make me false?

Does this guitar make me look fat?

I find, probably not unlike fish and war stories, that over time I begin believing my own comped solos. Edits that used to stick out so bad I almost would get my lazy backside back to the DAW to redo them slowly start sounding like brilliant and surprising turns of melodic phrase. After a while, I start believing that real frankenstein edit jobs were actually one-takes: Ah, a little something I just whipped off during a Law & Order commercial.

You tape guys will probably recall the common notion that tape splices would usually sound better after a short period. Old wives' tale or the voodoo of magnetism, I dunno, but it sure seemed that way to me. (Of course, the other end of that continuum -- the splice that's seen more than its day -- was not imagination. Put enough laps on even the best splice and things start getting funky. Ah, the good ol' days.)

• Members

But in a way, I'm even false about those because I do pitch correction manually, on single notes, and I usually quantize to 75% strength instead of the full 100%. Well, except for the kick. That's always the anchor.

Whereas I'm gloriously and unapologetically out-of-tune on most of my vocals :thu:

• Members

I've edited my recorded guitar into something far better than it initially was once or twice.

I'm actually Scandinavian, but due to a freak sun lamp accident, my appearance is Asian.

Also, I don't actually look like a cathead in a flower.

Hahaha! :lol::)

• Members

Too many things to even begin to list. Hence my mask collection..... I realize how many masks I wear at different times in my life. Of course there is the tautology that I am a genuine, authentic me....but I think that begs the point of the question.

• Members

Pretty much everything about my music production is fake. Even if you could clone enough of me to make a full band and put us in a room with the appropriate instruments, we wouldn't sound like my formal recording. Maybe if we could play trap drums. But hippie beach party bongos is about as far as our skill level goes in that direction...

• Members

I've edited my recorded guitar into something far better than it initially was once or twice.

I'm actually Scandinavian
, but due to a freak sun lamp accident, my appearance is Asian.

Also, I don't actually look like a cathead in a flower.

Are you pining for the fjords, Ken? :(

Or should I say......Sven! :cop:

Archived