Is the song single still the prime vehicle for pop music?

rasputin1963

• Members

In the 1920's through the 1980's, the prime vehicle for pop music was the single. One song, recorded, with a B-side.

Are songs released as "singles" nowadays? Or something that resembles a "single"? confused.gif

[ATTACH=CONFIG]349423[/ATTACH]

Is there still hoop-la/promotion/excitement surrounding the release of a single (which may or may not appear on an "album" CD) ?

If not, what are the implications of this? confused.gif

Dave smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by UstadKhanAli View Post
With iTunes and other online distribution, the single is probably more important than ever.
True that, but I think Ras is getting more at the "hoopla" aspect of the single from days gone by. "Hey, Big Craig A here at The Big WSSS in downtown Canton, Ohio! Just in - got the latest single from Blueberry Buddha! Okay girls, you can stop screaming now and dig this WSSS exclusive from Big Craig A!! But first, are pimples ruining your love life?"

MTV kind of carried that tradition forward with the "We have the latest Michael Jackson video!" but overall, it does seem the release of a single as a shared cultural event is pretty much history. Instead, people count down the days for new tech - new iPhone 5 in 16 days! Resident Evil: Operation Forum Meltdown coming to a Game Stop near you!

This just underscores the paradox that music is more in the fabric of everyday life than ever before, but has also been marginalized in the process as it has become more of a soundtrack to an event than the event itself. A good example is the theme song to a James Bond movie. That theme song is still a big deal, but only because it's part of a James Bond movie.

That said, my new "single" will drop before too long...I decided it was much easier to just get songs out into the world as they develop than wait until I have an album's worth of material. And given the world's lightning-fast speed, I think it will become increasingly important to record on Monday, mix on Tuesday, master on Wednesday, and upload on Thursday.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rasputin1963 View Post
Thanks Craig. Thanks, Ken.

Are singles (whatever their debut stage) now inextricable from video? To release one is to release the other, I'm guessing? Kids would be mystified today if there were no video accompanying a musical file, no?
Uploading music with a video gets more clicks than music-only, so I think that's your answer...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ggm1960

View Post

The Rolling Stones just released a new single, "Gloom And Doom" I believe it's called and I believe it'll be part of their 99th Greatest Hits package!

It's worth noting they're part of the demographic for whom the single was a big deal, so I can see that being used as a "hook" for promotion. But I bet there's a video to go along with it smile.gif

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by Anderton View Post
Uploading music with a video gets more clicks than music-only, so I think that's your answer...
And ad revenue too. It's the new business model, just sitting there making money while people wring their hands about how it's not possible to make money from music anymore.

And then there's film, TV, and ad placements as well.

Terry D.

Archived