Puredata? Max? Frequency Analysis/ visuals generation??? Anybody???

ryan7585

• Members

Anybody into this kind of stuff here? It's fairly heavy and not something I expect out of HC posters but I've also never been to THIS forum

I just started really fleshing out my skills here and its been a lot of fun. Anybody got any cool ideas or patches they want to share? How do you approach visuals? Do you at all?

• Members

I've got some cool PD patches I'LL share... if other people are willing. Got a couple cool ones so far, one generates 3D shapes and makes them change size, shape and color according to frequency response and you can control parameters on how that happens... distort it out and get some crazyass line patterns, etc.... Another one I have blends between a set of videos based on bass frequency amplitude.. I also have a chaos synth and I'm working on a video synth

Anybody know if its possible to render PD's GEM into a virtual GEM window which can then be used as a video source? like, use that render to skin a polygon?

Or if anyone has a patch to save preset groups and recall on demand that would be AWESOME

• Members
Pure Data has been used as the basis of a number of projects, as a prototyping language and a sound engine. The table interface called the Reactable[4] and the iPhone app rjdj both embed Pd as a sound engine.

Pd has been used for prototyping audio for video games by a number of audio designers. For example, EAPd is the internal version of Pd that is used at Electronic Arts (EA). It has also been embedded into EA Spore[5]

Pd has also been used for networked performance, in the Networked Resources for Collaborative Improvisation (NRCI) Library.[6]
Looks like it's used for numerous things in audio as well.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MikeRivers View Post
What is this? What does it do?
It's a graphical programming environment designed to work with audio, but capable of actually ANYTHING. Basically instead of lines of code, you use little boxes that act like pedals when you put the right word in them, then connect them with lines.

Thats a drastic oversimplification, but that's pretty much what it is. And it's pretty easy to use -- like i just put a little box and write "bonk" in it, and it outputs comprehensive frequency analysis data that i can just hook up to other controls, that are controlling video or causing the audio to change itself.. or anything. You can control robots with this stuff, most people just don't.

It's really overwhelming at first but then you realize that you don't have to know everything about it to do what you want to do because most of it has already been dont by someone else on the internet and you can just look at how they did it

Quote Originally Posted by UstadKhanAli View Post
Looks like it's used for numerous things in audio as well.
Yeah it was designed for audio, but like I said it's capable of doing basically anything a regular programming language can do. If you know C++ you can even write your own PD objects or edit the native ones

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MikeRivers View Post
Oy! Why can't more people just play the banjo and be done with it? wink.gif
how bout you play banjo, and I'll project awesome visualizations all around the room that follow everything you do exactly, using the awesomeness that is PD cool.gif

Then I'll probably want to play your banjo too biggrin.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by blue2blue View Post
But is it as good as Milkdrop?

biggrin.gif
never used milkdrop, but it looks kinda lame. capable, but just lame. The visuals were not good. Kinda gross looking, actually- reminiscent of slime or mud or coagulated body fluids. Ew

PD is less "smooth"... but that's a good thing. It actually looks cool and doesn't look like some kid of alien primordial soup

• Members

There was a time when I was really interested in MAX/MSP, CSound, PD and related audio languages until I found that they're more trouble than they're worth. I'd rather play an actual instrument, whether it's a synth, piano , guitar or whatever, than pretend I'm doing something intellectually and artistically profound by programming stuff that commercial companies can do better.
Sitting in front of a computer for hours building a generative music algorithm that makes some amusing random blips & bleeps wasn't my idea of making music.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ed A. View Post
There was a time when I was really interested in MAX/MSP, CSound, PD and related audio languages until I found that they're more trouble than they're worth. I'd rather play an actual instrument, whether it's a synth, piano , guitar or whatever, than pretend I'm doing something intellectually and artistically profound by programming stuff that commercial companies can do better.
Sitting in front of a computer for hours building a generative music algorithm that makes some amusing random blips & bleeps wasn't my idea of making music.
Haha, I feel you. I was there for a while, making the bleeps and bloops algorithms, then I stopped messing with it for like a year.

I got back into it for what it's capable of with visuals. And what I learned is that while it seems more trouble than its worth, it's actually no trouble at all. there are patches ALL OVER the internet, and included in the program. Just glue em together and customize them a little and BAM you have your own custom thing, capable of doing exactly what you want it to

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ryan7585 View Post
never used milkdrop, but it looks kinda lame. capable, but just lame. The visuals were not good. Kinda gross looking, actually- reminiscent of slime or mud or coagulated body fluids. Ew
You say that like it's a bad thing. MILKDROP is really pretty cool... One version of it was 3D anaglyph red/cyan capable... I used to stare at it for hours...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ryan7585 View Post
yeah its neat and everything but its just so alien looking and its vibe just reminds me of played out sci fi themes of wort covered snot aliens

and even that could be cool if it wasnt so hi-fi. the hi-fi-ness of it is unnerving
Oh, you kiddos and your "Lo-Fi" !!! wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rasputin1963 View Post
Oh, you kiddos and your "Lo-Fi" !!! wink.gif
Hey, lo fi is nice and all but I'm actually prone to overproduction. It's nice to have some natural accidental-ness to the tonal quality, either way. It's more relatable to the real world. Soon enough, the public obsession with novel technology showing itself off will pass, and subtlety will be back in demand.

It's like HD. Who wants to watch a news program where you're distracted by the fact that you can see their pores in extrarealistic detail, and there's a 3D animated graph of projected obamacare costs vs realtime dog attack report counter in the corner?

I like visualizations that can do a good job of matching the vibe the music is trying to get across, and to me, milkdrop just isn't capable of that. Puredata is totally customizable. and sure, you could figure it out. I'll lay out what I think would be the easiest way to get started--

1-- Download the program. Get PD-extended... that's the one that comes with a bunch of example patches. They'll be in the help browser.
2-- Make a basic tone generator. Just a sine wave at A4-- it's really simple, there's videos for it all over, and it'll show you the basics of whats going on in the program
3-- After that, just start going through the help browser and looking at how the different patches are put together. You can see all their parts, and if you want to know what a part is doing you can just right click on it and click help (there are also sub-patches, which you just click on to see in detail). There are hundreds of patches that do almost anything, so for the most part you can just connect them together like a modular synth or a mixing console or an effects rack. But then you can take stuff apart and customize, rearrange, etc.

If you get that far and want to know how I'm using it for visuals, just PM me and I'll help you out

Archived