My New Music Video! "When the Grid Goes Down"

Anderton

• Members

I like the harp, which seems to purposefully echo the harmonica in the Mothers' similarly dystopia-themed "Trouble Comin' Every Day." thumb.gif

I think I'd make an alternate version without the expository captions, though. They make it feel a little like a corporate informational presentation. The lyric captions work for me, though. I think more quick cuts and less zooms and pans might better match the excitement level of the vid to the urgency of the music itself.

Anyhow, good stuff!

• Members

Hey great video Craig(great message too), did you do post production in Sonar X2?, I like the stereo spread you put on it.

I've always wondered what the world would be like if we got unplugged prematurely, they don't teach kids to do math on paper or in long form anymore or write in cursive which was my staple from K to 12. I think it would be in a real mess IF the grid does go down.

Of course being a Bluegrass picker myself and knowing the long form I'll be ready my friend.wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by UstadKhanAli View Post
I see what you mean, Blue, but at the same time, that's sort of what makes it disturbing.
I wanted to do something different, almost like a mini-movie (or in this case, documentary). I also wanted it to be something people would find controversial, so we'll see if that happens or not.

If you check into "grid goes down" scenarios, you basically have a choice between survivalist nut cases and sober scientists...whose views are summarized as follows:

Nut case: "There's going to be a huge solar flare or EMP, and we're ALL GONNA DIE!!!"
Sober scientist: "Something along these lines will happen sooner or later, and many people will die."

The thing that intrigues me is that apparently, the technology is available to harden the grid, as well as the most important element, the transformers. The main source of these transformers is China, as well as Germany and Japan. We don't have any, and it takes about three years to get one.

So it seems that $200 million is a pretty small price to pay to at least keep the transformers protected. But what really blows my mind is that there are no contingency plans in place in case something like this happens. It's a low probability event, but a high-impact one...precisely why people buy insurance.

And of course, whatever I do next is going to be completely different. smile.gif

• Members

Pretty disturbing, but clearly possible. When I was a phone guy, I found out what delta power distribution could do if interrupted on one phase. It burned pairs in our underground cable from thirty feet in the air. Most power now is multi-grounded so that is less likely. I wonder how they protect the transformers - fuseable link, GFI?

• Members

That was cool. Didn't know about the 1859 stuff. I like harmonica parts like that. Reminds me somehow of Psychotic Reaction. Never really thought of grid failure much.

Would Amish people notice?
Should I bother buying a battery powered keyboard at this point?
I liked the blue girl

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by thankyou View Post
Pretty disturbing, but clearly possible... I wonder how they protect the transformers - fuseable link, GFI?
When I was googling around looking for info, the current answer seems to be "wishful thinking." I think what they're talking about as a possible solution is something like really high-power MOVs.

I dealt with two really long power outages in Florida due to hurricanes, and it left an impression on me. I heard a radio show where some guy was talking about the grid being vulnerable not just to space weather but also EMPs, and I thought it was your basic doomsday/Mayan calendar kinda guy. But when I looked into it, I was surprised at how many people who are involved in NASA, physics departments, and such considered this a potentially very serious problem.

• Members

That's a great song! Very catchy and very dark. Always a winning combination. I definitely hear some U2 in there - the drums and guitar. And yes, the harmonica reminds me of the Led Zep song

Really good thought-provoking video, too, which complements the song well cool.gif

And as usual, great production. Damn you, Anderton!! mad.gifwink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MarkydeSad View Post
That's a great song! Very catchy and very dark. Always a winning combination. I definitely hear some U2 in there - the drums and guitar. And yes, the harmonica reminds me of the Led Zep song

Really good thought-provoking video, too, which complements the song well cool.gif

And as usual, great production. Damn you, Anderton!! mad.gifwink.gif
Hey, you're the one whose song broke a creative logjam for me. So, blame yourself smile.gif

• Members

Love the song and video Craig. I`m with Blue when it comes to the captions. The first few seconds I thought I was watching something from Frontline (which I love btw). I just didn`t think it was appropriate in the beginning of a music video, maybe hold off to the second verse? Whatever the case, I enjoyed the driving nature of the tune. You rock.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived