Advice Needed Re: PedalPower 2+ Issue(s)

~flipper

• Members

I've been putting together a pedal board for a little while. I'm using a PedalPower 2+ at the moment. For a few weeks I was auditioning an old Line6 modulation box, using output 5, with the dipswitch flipped up (as recommended by PP2+ manual). Worked fine. All the outputs on the PP2+ worked fine.

Friday, I had decided to dump the Line6 earlier on, so I flipped the dip back to "normal" (9 volts) and plugged output 5 into an analogman AstroTone. Nothing. Unplugged the power, and the Astro came on right away (on battery power). Plugged the Astro into one of the other outputs, no problem. Plugged a different box into output 5, no juice.

At this point I have a few questions:

1) In such a safe, controlled environment, how did this happen? (and, Is there a risk of a cascade effect, wherein I'll look forward to even fewer outlets as time passes?)

2) Since I need considerably more power/outputs than are on a single unit, how risky/stupid would I be to go buy another PP2+?

3) Is this brand/model being used by almost "everybody" (it seems), because it's "solid", or because it's "used by almost everybody"?

I'm looking at alternatives, and am attracted to the Burkey Flatliner, but they seem nearly impossible to buy in the US (out here on the West Coast, at least). Does anyone have experience with them?

I have a vision: I sell all of my pedals (except the Beano Boost, DLS Mark II, mini-Deja Vibe, SunFace, and Tap-a-Whirl) on Craigslist, and get a power bar and some wall warts, and just "floor it" like in the good old days ... Crazy, or my 1st good idea in ... a while?

• Members

That's really weird. Any chance it could be the dipswitch? Like it was in the same position for so long there's some oxidation, and you need to work it back and forth a few times before it will switch over to 9V?

Also, did you try the AstroTone on 5V with output 5? A lower voltage shouldn't cause any problems, but you should at least be able to tell if the AstroTone is getting power from the 5V feed.

One more thing to check: If you switch one of the other outputs (with the effect disconnected!!) that's powering a 9V effect from 9V to 5V and back to 9V, then re-connect the effect, what happens?

As to the unit itself, Voodoo Labs has a reputation for reliability. They've been at this game a long time and as a result, there's an actual track record that speaks well of their products. I highly doubt there's some kind of inherent flaw, it sounds more like some kind of fluke.

Report back with your findings and we'll take it from there...

• Members

Thank you for responding. The dip switches, when flipped away from "normal," increase voltage from 9 volts to 12 volts. There's no 5 volt thing, and I am not going to send even 12 volts (dip switch "up" to a 9-volt box. I've substituted cables, flipped the switch back and forth a bit, an, for no reason that was apparent, output 5 started working again, but output 4 went dead. So, I'm right where I was except output 4 is the only one not working, instead of output 5.

Output 4 is dead, even when none of the other outputs is in use (unconnected, in other words). I have plugged the Catalinbread box (dls mkII) into number 4, so, since it can run on anything between 9 and 18 volts, I can turn the power supply on and off, flip the dipswitches, etc, and see if it comes on by another "fluke." It's pretty mystifying at this point.

• CMS Author

Quote Originally Posted by ~flipper

View Post

Thank you for responding. The dip switches, when flipped away from "normal," increase voltage from 9 volts to 12 volts.

You should be testing a power supply with a voltmeter, not with pedals. Everybody who uses electronics should have a multimeter, even a cheap one. Sears has 'em. So, of course, does Radio Shack. You don't need a precision laboratory instrument, a $20 one will do. You won't know why you lived without one for so long.

Archived