What's the hip Reason controller to get?

Super 8

• Members

Hey everyone. I keep trying to find a place in life for music to take it's place. Other than the occasional ongoing recording project I have with my friend (record track in Feb, mix it in June, decide to rerecord it in Sept, repeat again next year) nothing much is going on. But something cool is happening. My kids have discovered Reason. This led me one rainy afternoon to sit down with both of them and explain in too much detail how Subtractor works and then to take a trip to the basement to show blow the dust off my rack and show them the real world equivalent of some of the virtual gear they were seeing in software...and also to discuss the costs involved.

So now they're both having fun with Reason which made starting thinking maybe it's time to upgrade to the current version and finally get a real controller for it. I'm seeing this Nektar Panorama, which looks really cool but I don't know anything about it. The price of the controller + upgrade cost for Reason would end up being about the same price as my DX27 cost in 1986 with a hell of a lot more functionality.
Opinions?
Thoughts?

Sorry that got wordy but I like to check in with you guys once in a while too.thumb.gif
Thanks!

• Members

Everyone tells me Nektar is the happening dedicated Reason controller, but I haven't had a chance to check it out personally yet.

Reason is Mackie Controller-compatible, but with any Mackie controller, you end up with a igrab-bag of screens and parameters. It's something you could learn, but I would highly recommend something dedicated specifically to Reason.

• Members

See sig. For me it's absolutely PERFECT, as the S80 (and more expensive S90 and S90ES) are the only boards that I know of that you can have simulataneous AT, EXP, and BC, which as you know is great for stacking Subtractors, Thors, Maelstroms and whatever else in Combinators and using them all simultaneously....PLUS it has another dedicated FC control you can use, a dedicated sustain pedal input and a dedcated FS input. With the BCR2000 (which has 32 assignable knobs plus 8 assignble buttons, plus dediaced DAW buttons like stop, start, FWD, REV, etc.) it really is the perfect controller for me for Reason (and Logic of course).

Archived