Eddie Van Halen wanted to join Kiss in 1982???

UstadKhanAli

• Members

Well, it's pretty obvious that maybe something happened, or maybe not.

Let me state, for the record, that I was never asked to join Kiss or Van Halen...although Michael Anthony did use a bass preamp I designed. So, I guess you could say one of my circuits joined Van Halen. But not Kiss. Nor have I kissed Eddie Van Halen or Gene Simmons.

Also, I once had a dog named Alex, but he was not Van Halen's drummer.

I hope this clears things up, and we can put all these rumors behind us.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tedmich View Post
A quote from Chaim on Kissfaq.com

" I liked his (EVHs) solo for 'Christine Sixteen' so much that when the band recorded it for 'Love Gun', Ace pretty much copied Eddie's solo note-for-note"

which is an obvious impossibility....MYTH BUSTED!
According to Kissfaq.com, it's quite possible. This is the whole quote, which states that Gene called on the two brothers to help record his demos:

Later Gene Simmons would be recording his own demos for KISS' next studio album, which would become "Love Gun". While Gene often simply recorded his demos on his own he called on the Van Halen brothers to back him recalling, "I would usually go in and play all the instruments myself, but on this occasion I decided to call up the Van Halen brothers and ask them to come down and play. So both Alex and Eddie came down and played on cut 'Christine Sixteen', 'Got Love For Sale' and 'Tunnel Of Love', which later wound up on my solo record. We cut it live as a trio and Eddie came up with some solos afterwards. I liked his solo for 'Christine Sixteen' so much that when the band recorded it for 'Love Gun', Ace pretty much copied Eddie's solo note-for-note" (KISStory). While David Lee Roth has asserted that Gene had his eye on Eddie, hoping to get him into KISS, perhaps with Alex as well, with Ace and Peter becoming erratic, the band's signing with Warner Brothers and the success of the first Van Halen album killed off that plan. Gene would later claim that Eddie had been interested in joining KISS as they went through their guitarist trials in 1982.
http://www.kissfaq.com/articles/vanhalen.html

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti II View Post
To be fair, joining Kiss in 1982 was like being given a printing press that produced $100 bills made of blowjobs.
Is that good or bad?

If you'd asked me in '82 if they were still together, I'm thinking I wouldn't have been able to tell you, but not absolutely sure on that. To be safe, I always thought there was a lot of room for goofy humor and stupid posing in rock. But definitely not enough to fit KISS in. To me, KISS -- and all glam metal actually -- is to rock as WWF is to wrestling: an excuse for adolescent (and perennially adolescent) males to work out their homoerotic urges in a safe psychosexual venue.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by blue2blue

View Post

To me, KISS -- and all glam metal actually -- is to rock as WWF is to wrestling: an excuse for adolescent (and perennially adolescent) males to work out their homoerotic urges in a safe psychosexual venue.

Cool. Show of hands here...how many of you like KISS? biggrin.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by UstadKhanAli View Post
Cool. Show of hands here...how many of you like KISS? biggrin.gif
This is a repost from the Punk or Metal thread:

When I was in junior high I was looking at eight track tapes in a Musicland record store.
They had the tapes behind a plastic wall and there were holes in the wall just big enough for your hand to fit through the holes but small enough so you couldn't steal a tape. There was an older kid with his hand through one of the holes holding the first Kiss eight track album and he told me they were his favorite new band.

At the time I was just getting into progressive rock. I remember thinking "wow they look pretty cool" and I imagined they must be a progressive theatrical rock band, kind of like Peter Gabriel and Genesis or something.

A few weeks later I had saved up enough money to buy the album. While riding home in the car I looked at the cover and imagined that it would probably sound like "Close to the Edge" or "Brain Salad Surgery" or "Dark side of the Moon". I was excited to hear it.

When I got home and put it on the turntable I thought there must be a mistake. I took it off and looked at the label to make sure I had the right album. Did they accidentally put the wrong label on this album. I thought it was the dumbest thing I'd ever heard.
I remember thinking that I got ripped off. It was false advertising. How could you have an album cover with these futuristic looking space rockers but the music was stupid basic three chord rock and roll?

thCAT6GAG6_zps80fe61c3.jpg

PS, I heard Cold Gin on the radio today. I don't think I've ever heard that song on the radio before. I don't think I've even heard that song in thirty five years. Of course as I stated in the rock radio thread last summer I think Atlanta's radio is the worst it's ever been.

• Members

When I was in high school me and a friend went to the Kiss Alive tour with photography press passes from our high school newspaper. I got some really good shots. Shot a whole roll of film. The fire breathing and blood spitting the whole works.
I haven't seen those pictures in years. I think they are still in my parents basement somewhere.

• Members

Now I'm going to also reveal how I worked out my homoerotic urges in a safe psychosexual venue. biggrin.gif

I actually never really liked Kiss throughout school. They seemed really juvenile, the thing that your neighbor's little kid brother listened to. But somewhere around, I don't know, probably in my 20s, I heard a couple of things that I really liked and thought the riffs were really great. Sure, the lyrics were so bad that they called attention to themselves, but hey, it's rock, we can look the other way. biggrin.gif And I had kinda liked "Beth" as well.

And a little while after that, I saw a band in a small club in Santa Cruz, CA called The F*cking Champs. They did an instrumental Kiss cover, which I believe was "Black Diamond". And it sounded really really great. So that got me slowly paying attention to more of their stuff and realizing that some of it was pretty good. So I don't have any of their releases or anything, but I definitely have an appreciation for them.

As for working out homoerotic urges in a safe psychosexual venue, I imagine one could do that while watching "Top Gun", WWE, reading superhero comics, epic sword and sandal films, or pro sports. I say great. biggrin.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Folder View Post
At the time I was just getting into progressive rock. I remember thinking "wow they look pretty cool" and I imagined they must be a progressive theatrical rock band, kind of like Peter Gabriel and Genesis or something.

A few weeks later I had saved up enough money to buy the album. While riding home in the car I looked at the cover and imagined that it would probably sound like "Close to the Edge" or "Brain Salad Surgery" or "Dark side of the Moon". I was excited to hear it.

When I got home and put it on the turntable I thought there must be a mistake. I took it off and looked at the label to make sure I had the right album. Did they accidentally put the wrong label on this album. I thought it was the dumbest thing I'd ever heard.
I remember thinking that I got ripped off. It was false advertising. How could you have an album cover with these futuristic looking space rockers but the music was stupid basic three chord rock and roll?
And you were thinking, "Damn...Peter Gabriel never stuck out his ten-inch tongue or spit blood. WTH is going on here???" biggrin.gif

See....at least Boston had futuristic space rock themed album covers that looked like it'd be stupid basic three chord rock and roll!!! biggrin.gif

• Members
Now I'm going to also reveal how I worked out my homoerotic urges in a safe psychosexual venue. biggrin.gif

I actually never really liked Kiss throughout school. They seemed really juvenile, the thing that your neighbor's little kid brother listened to. But somewhere around, I don't know, probably in my 20s, I heard a couple of things that I really liked and thought the riffs were really great. Sure, the lyrics were so bad that they called attention to themselves, but hey, it's rock, we can look the other way. biggrin.gif And I had kinda liked "Beth" as well.

And a little while after that, I saw a band in a small club in Santa Cruz, CA called The F*cking Champs. They did an instrumental Kiss cover, which I believe was "Black Diamond". And it sounded really really great. So that got me slowly paying attention to more of their stuff and realizing that some of it was pretty good. So I don't have any of their releases or anything, but I definitely have an appreciation for them.

As for working out homoerotic urges in a safe psychosexual venue, I imagine one could do that while watching "Top Gun", WWE, reading superhero comics, epic sword and sandal films, or pro sports. I say great. biggrin.gif
That's what I remember them looking like when I shot those pictures. It was back when they still had festival seating and we were way down front about three rows back. I'm thinking I ought to try to find those slides. Who knows somebody might be interested in seeing them, including myself.

I think that is a Gibson L6S that Paul Stanley is playing. That was my first electric guitar. Mine was black though.

• Members
And you were thinking, "Damn...Peter Gabriel never stuck out his ten-inch tongue or spit blood. WTH is going on here???" biggrin.gif

See....at least Boston had futuristic space rock themed album covers that looked like it'd be stupid basic three chord rock and roll!!! biggrin.gif
Well I was kid. What can I say? This was before Boston. Me and all my friends were into what at that time was called progressive rock and theatrical rock. How was I to know?

The image of Kiss on their first album was completely incongruous to what I thought their music would sound like. Peter Gabriel looked like this and he sounded nothing like Kiss:

confused.gif

th_zps85015b17.jpg

thv_zpsa8fc63e4.jpg

thg_zps3717708b.jpg

thCA8QL7D6_zpsfe13e655.jpg

thCACARBB1_zpsba59146c.jpg

Archived