A Software Program is Not a DAW

Beck

• Members

I remember being confused by this when I first got into computer based recording a decade or so ago. I'd see Cakewalk Home Studio referred to as a Digital Audio Workstation. But wait, does that mean I get a computer, I/O device, etc., with it?? Er, uh, no it's just software. Eventually I figured out that I was correct, and after buying the computer, I/O device (mixer), monitor speakers and control surface PLUS the "DAW" software, I actually had a Digital Audio Workstation.

Eventually I got used to the term, but it's always seemed misleading to me.

• Members

Unfortunately you can't the change bad nomenclature. Your are correct but as communicated in our ever changing Interwebs world that label has taken hold for software(even if the world ends tomorrow).

Here I go with a common cliche/analogy "you can't put that Genie back into the bottle".

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Goobers View Post
Saying "DAW' as if it's a word sounds dumb: "Daahhhhhhhwww" facepalm.gif

And saying it letter by letter also sounds kind of dumb, it just doesn't flow: "D.A.W." facepalm.gif

there's really no easy answer. idn_smilie.gif

someone should come up with a better word. evil.gif
Most of my 3DW friends are musicians. You get used to the sound of it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Anderton View Post
So I guess the Zoom R8 is a DAW. Actually, that makes sense.
Yes, it actually is... and so was the Synclavier. If we can't get our nomenclature right we're doomed... doomed I tell ya!

And here's another one... ADAT: Alesis Digital Audio Tape. But who remembers stuff like that? I mean now people think of the ADAT HD24 or the ADAT optical interface. But to say ADAT HD24 without using the abbreviation it would be "Alesis Digital Audio Tape Hard Disk Recorder." But that makes no sense! Alesis clearly wanted to capitalize on the name recognition of ADAT even though it makes no sense whatsoever. So many wrongs to right before the world ends... so little time!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
DAW: Digital Audio Workstation

A PC-based DAW includes the computer, digital audio interface, perhaps a control surface and any software used with it. Everything together is a DAW. Any one part by itself is not a DAW.
I actually know that, but use "DAW" to refer to software fairly regularly anyway. Or maybe I'm just done in by marketing or wrong usage. I don't know.

I do lots of other things wrong, too, but I'm hoping that people don't look that closely.

• Members
If we can't get our nomenclature right we're doomed... doomed I tell ya!
Oh no...Mayan calendar language police!!

And here's another one... ADAT: Alesis Digital Audio Tape. But who remembers stuff like that? I mean now people think of the ADAT HD24 or the ADAT optical interface. But to say ADAT HD24 without using the abbreviation it would be "Alesis Digital Audio Tape Hard Disk Recorder." But that makes no sense!
Or my personal favorite, "MIDI Interface" - which translates as "Musical Instrument Digital Interface interface." Or how about "LCD display?" I'm sure we all enjoy our Liquid Crystal Display displays.

All of this is brought to you courtesy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
Beck, so this is what keeps you up at night? icon_lol.gif
Why yes... when death is on the line... like the end of the world and that sort of thing. It is interesting though when you think of all the things people think they know about something when they don't... or how the mind is gradually bent through osmosis to perceive and define things as the group does even when it makes no sense and you knew better in time past, but forgot. I do think about stuff like that, but its my girlfriend that keeps me up at night... sometimes until daybreak. That's why I eat right, take my vitamins and drink plenty of fluids.

Or my personal favorite, "MIDI Interface" - which translates as "Musical Instrument Digital Interface interface." Or how about "LCD display?" I'm sure we all enjoy our Liquid Crystal Display displays.
Here's another one. VIN Number... Vehicle Identification Number Number

• Members
Yes, it actually is... and so was the Synclavier. If we can't get our nomenclature right we're doomed... doomed I tell ya!

And here's another one... ADAT: Alesis Digital Audio Tape. But who remembers stuff like that? I mean now people think of the ADAT HD24 or the ADAT optical interface. But to say ADAT HD24 without using the abbreviation it would be "Alesis Digital Audio Tape Hard Disk Recorder." But that makes no sense! Alesis clearly wanted to capitalize on the name recognition of ADAT even though it makes no sense whatsoever. So many wrongs to right before the world ends... so little time!
I believe when ADAT went tape-less, the "T" in the acronym was redefined as "Technology." Almost like the Akai MPC (MIDI Production Center), which later became the Music Production Center, since its self-contained nature as applied by most of its Hip-Hop Pro-doosa customer base rendered its MIDI features useless.

• Members

I don't use that terminology at all. I can't think of any reason why I would ever have to say "DAW." The guys who do analog are sure to tell you all about it. Then you just assume everything else is digital the begin with. Analog is the exception now, not the rule.

• CMS Author
"MIDI Interface" - which translates as "Musical Instrument Digital Interface interface." Or how about "LCD display?" I'm sure we all enjoy our Liquid Crystal Display displays.
These are cases where the acronym describes both the technology (MIDI) and the device (the card or box that connects to your computer and allows it to communicate, using the MIDI protocol, with other devices that use the same protocol. LCD describes the technology, or the component, but LCD Display says that you're talking about a functional end product.

Remember this next time you put a DAT into your DAT player.

There's ATM Machine, but I think people are getting away from adding "Machine," probably because with their smart phone, they don't need one anyway.

Tuna fish?
Hot water heater?

• Members
Why yes... when death is on the line... like the end of the world and that sort of thing. It is interesting though when you think of all the things people think they know about something when they don't... or how the mind is gradually bent through osmosis to perceive and define things as the group does even when it makes no sense and you knew better in time past, but forgot. I do think about stuff like that, but its my girlfriend that keeps me up at night... sometimes until daybreak. That's why I eat right, take my vitamins and drink plenty of fluids.
Yeah well... snacks.gif I`m married.

Here's another one. VIN Number... Vehicle Identification Number Number
So true.

Archived