WTF? Three MAJOR Updates that Worked Without a Hitch?

Anderton

• Members

Yes, it can really happen. Really.

I updated Sonar X2 to X2a; not only did it download and install without hassles, but in addition to new features and bug fixes Cakewalk fixed a lot of teeny little non-deal-breaker things that didn't really upset my workflow, but just helped tighten down the screws that much further. After X1's shaky start, I have to give Cakewalk props for really leaning into making the initial X2 release waaaay more solid, then following it up promptly with a QuickFix and now X2a.

Next up, a trifecta: Universal Audio Quad board in my computer, outboard (formerly Mac-only) Satellite, and (formerly Mac-only) Apollo. Everything just worked. All the firmware updated, all the authorizations were updated, and voila. I tried the updated gear with Pro Tools 10, Cubase 6.5, Sonar X2a, and Sudio One Pro. The only glitch was that if you tried to load more plug-ins than the total available UA DSP allowed, Sonar would crash. I sent off a bug report but frankly, with a Quad card and Apollo, with a Satellite on deck, it's going to be really, really hard to run out of CPU power.

Finally, I updated Waves 7 plug-ins to Waves 9 64-bit. Not only did the installation process go smoothly, but damn, their way of doing licensing is just soooooo much simpler, easier, and user-oriented than iLok. I used to fear installing/updating Waves plug-ins, but after this, the fear is dissipating.

Considering that someone ran into a gas line by my house this morning and despite major gas spewage neither I nor my house exploded, I think that maybe that event, combined with the hassle-free major updates, indicates I should consider staying alive at least a little while longer.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Anderton View Post
Yes, it can really happen. Really.

I updated Sonar X2 to X2a; not only did it download and install without hassles, but in addition to new features and bug fixes Cakewalk fixed a lot of teeny little non-deal-breaker things that didn't really upset my workflow, but just helped tighten down the screws that much further. After X1's shaky start, I have to give Cakewalk props for really leaning into making the initial X2 release waaaay more solid, then following it up promptly with a QuickFix and now X2a.

Next up, a trifecta: Universal Audio Quad board in my computer, outboard (formerly Mac-only) Satellite, and (formerly Mac-only) Apollo. Everything just worked. All the firmware updated, all the authorizations were updated, and voila. I tried the updated gear with Pro Tools 10, Cubase 6.5, Sonar X2a, and Sudio One Pro. The only glitch was that if you tried to load more plug-ins than the total available UA DSP allowed, Sonar would crash. I sent off a bug report but frankly, with a Quad card and Apollo, with a Satellite on deck, it's going to be really, really hard to run out of CPU power.

Finally, I updated Waves 7 plug-ins to Waves 9 64-bit. Not only did the installation process go smoothly, but damn, their way of doing licensing is just soooooo much simpler, easier, and user-oriented than iLok. I used to fear installing/updating Waves plug-ins, but after this, the fear is dissipating.

Considering that someone ran into a gas line by my house this morning and despite major gas spewage neither I nor my house exploded, I think that maybe that event, combined with the hassle-free major updates, indicates I should consider staying alive at least a little while longer.
It never happened Craig. The world ended yesterday. You are in an alternate universe where updates/upgrades go without a hitch, digital sounds as good as vinyl, and Beck and Ani are still in love. eek.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Anderton View Post

Not only that, you should consider playing the lottery. That's something that must be the result of good karma.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley

View Post

It never happened Craig. The world ended yesterday. You are in an alternate universe where updates/upgrades go without a hitch, digital sounds as good as vinyl, and Beck and Ani are still in love. eek.gif

Or maybe EB is right!!! This is great!!!!!! biggrin.gif

• Members

I shouldn't say this because I have a fair amount of updating to do......but I find they generally go smooth. But I am a chicken and wait a while before I just update or upgrade and do a ton of research on the various forums to find out how it's going for others.

I'm glad it went well Craig. Nothing worse than getting entangled in an upgrade F-Up. I remember one time when Quicktime did some very bad things to iTunes/Pro Tools and in general the whole OS was corrupted I think...... when a certain QT updated version was used....something like that. I remember it really wiped me out and I had to start from scratch and it meant re-authorizing a BUNCH of software programs......trying to find the original serial numbers etc. Nightmare. It took liek 3 days to sort it out.

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by Huh? View Post
getting entangled in an upgrade F-Up. .
Two things of great beauty that were needed long before they arrived:

(1) RESTORE in Windows,

(2) Cloning a hard drive in Acronis.

If #1 doesn't fix it, #2 (snapping in the cloned drive you made before the botched upgrade) surely will.

Terry D.

Archived