PreSonus Faderport - Wahooooo!!!

UstadKhanAli

• Members

Craig was very kind to lend me a PreSonus FaderPort.

As some of you know, when it comes to computer installations, I get nervous. Audio installations, and some updates make me extremely nervous (although other stuff like Photoshop stuff does not).

I needn't have worried.

- Download the driver from PreSonus.
- Install
- Click three pulldown menus in Pro Tools, following the owner's manual.

It works! It's intuitive, easy to navigate, and works well!

Nice controller!

Thanks for the loan, Craig!!!!!! thumb.gif

• Members

They(Presonus) have some new stuff for winter NAMM, there's hope a new controller may be on the way(or at least an upgrade to Faderport). It would be nice to have more than one slider and maybe some knobs for us control freaks. It is a great tool on it's own right now.

• Members

Ive had one of these for a few years.
One issue I have is that, when in touch fader mode and when switching DAW chnnels it can be easy to unintentionally move a fader.
This is bad.
You can turn touch mode off to prevent this. However, then you have a lot of on/off switching going on to use the thing.

I wish for a two fader implementation. Much better for balancing elements.

However, this works great when you want to close your eyes and carefully set a level.

Overall I find this somewhat useful.

YMMV

• Members

Since it is tethered to your computer via USB cord and also requires a power supply, you are limited as to how far away you can do this, as opposed to one of those wireless thingies. I'll do some more recording, but I don't anticipate anything negative, as it's really intuitive and easy to figure out how to use so far. Within a matter of seconds, I was getting around on Pro Tools with it, highlighting different tracks arming them for recording, FF, R, etc.

• Members

UstadKhanAli wrote:

As some of you know, when it comes to computer installations, I get nervous. Audio installations, and some updates make me extremely nervous (although other stuff like Photoshop stuff does not).

I needn't have worried.

But you cheat!! You read the instructions!

If you want to have the proper experience of going to the nearest forum and talking about what a piece of crap it is, you need to avoid reading the manual.

• Members

Yeah, sorry about reading the manual.

I mentioned this concern to Craig last month about this following statement from the presonus.com website:

"The FaderPort is a USB 1.1 device. It works fine with the faster USB 2 bus but will operate at USB 1.1 speed. Note that when you connect multiple devices to the same USB bus, the entire bus will operate at the speed of the slowest device in the chain. This applies to any USB device, including hard drives, scanners, printers, and interfaces.

"This means that if you want to use a FaderPort with, for instance, an AudioBox VSL-series audio/MIDI interface, which requires USB 2, you need to connect the FaderPort to a separate and independent USB bus. Otherwise, the USB 2 device will send and receive at USB 1.1 speed, which may be inadequate.

"Some computers offer multiple USB ports that are, in fact, operating on the same internal USB bus. Check your computer

• 3 months later...
  • Members

UstadKhanAli wrote:

I needn't have worried.

- Download the driver from PreSonus.

- Install

- Click three pulldown menus in Pro Tools, following the owner's manual.

It works! It's intuitive, easy to navigate, and works well!

Nice controller!

Thanks for the loan, Craig!!!!!!
thumb.gif

What are your thoughts on this controller after using it for awhile now?

• Members

It works extremely efficiently, and is easy to figure out.  I like that.  As a recording musician, I want to just get on with stuff.  It's great if you have severe limitations on space but still want to use faders and such.  If I could get used to using more of it, I could get around on it even quicker, but for writing automation, mute, transport functions, solo, toggling between windows, etc., it's really great.

Archived