Kickstarter

russrags

• Members

I know Kickstarter is probably a pretty good thing, but I've seen a few times where I thought some of these people who already have #1 records under their belt, could probably finance their own album????

Here's a couple examples:

• CMS Author

Why not use someone else's money if you can get away with it?  What amazes me is the tens of thousands of dollars get pledged to some recording projects. Of course those are from people who already have a reputation, at least among their Kictstarter fans.

A friend of mine made a few records in the late 1960s, got a real career while continuing with music as a hobby and learning experience, and last year decided it was time to record a choral work she had written and scored. She was only looking for $5,000 and her husband had to kick in $1,000 at the end to get the $4,000 that had been pledged by the deadline. But she got the record out.

• Members

It can definitely be a great way to finance a record, but you probably need a pretty decent following for it to be successful.  If you are a no-name upstart with nothing to show, then (probably) no one will pledge anything.

I think some bands and artists have an issue with using crowdfunding for records and tours, though...perhaps its contradictory to their image.

Archived