Is it possible that Weather.com forgot to renew their DomainName ?

• Members

This is what I suspect when a website of this size seems to drop off the map. I haven't been able to get them for the last 8 hours or so. Or is it that they are accepting requests to serve up pages only to U.S. citizens ??

Any other big names ever dissapear?

Dan

• Members

Interesting. It has been a while since I visited Weather.com. The agressive advertisements and the change to their maps encouraged me to move on. Wonder if someone offered the Weather Channel big money for the domain or if, like you say, they forgot to renew. I'd hate to be the person that let that slip if someone else grabbed the name.

• Moderators

techristian wrote:

This is what I suspect when a website of this size seems to drop off the map. I haven't been able to get them for the last 8 hours or so. Or is it that they are accepting requests to serve up pages only to U.S. citizens ??

Any other big names ever dissapear?

Dan

I've no idea why you had the glitch.  It's been (and still is) working just fine for me. idn_smilie.gif

Terry D.

• Members

I just noticed that they paid up to 2020, so they still have the name. Yes it is weird Terry. Maybe new Canadian censorship? Or else there is a LINE down in my PATH ?? I can still get INFOWARS.COM so it isn't the CIA blocking me !!

I know. It is just a weather channel. I know with my website, I can block IP addresses from certain countries for EMAIL but not for web pages.

So now I went to the Canadian Weather Network, where they tell me that the current temperature is 25C. I hate celcius !

Dan

• Members

Another situation that can arise is localized network glitches and failures 'blocking' access by users in some areas but not others. 

I had a situation with one of my clients like that. He called me in a panic because his company's online store was down (and most of their product sales come from it). Or appeared down. To me, too, because I only live about a half mile away from him and we're on the same local network infrastructure (and cableco).

So I called the hosting company (we're in Cali, they're in Arizona) and said, what's up? But they showed it as up and he guaranteed me everything was OK on their end. So I called a pal out of the area to check the site, which he said came up fine. 

Meanwhile, all the other sites I went to from my end were OK. (Maybe I should have tried some sites in Arizona, didn't think of it at the time.)

And, then, a while later I checked again and the site was 'good as new' -- as though it had never been gone. And, I guess, it never was.

The Internet, man, it's all so... subjective.  

Archived