The mail-able turntable vinyl record player--- this is SO cool!

• Members

To paraphrase one of the era's memetic phrases, It takes a gimmick to raise a creative director's clicking hand. (Village/child, get it? Never mind.)

And, as gimmicks go, that's pretty irresistable.

I mean, I wanted to play with it and the whole notion of pitching a song to agency CD's right out of the box is precisely why I got the hell out of the music biz... so that's how irresistable it is.

And since the object is cuteness -- I thought their apparent decision to include surface noise in the audio stream from the 'turntable' was especially precious. 

I get that the phone app is simply a media-file position UI -- an overgrown progress/seek bar -- but they call it a 'digital device' that works with all smart phones and say there's no downloading -- so I'm curious how that part works.

Anyhow, cute. 

But I think I'd shoot myself before I worked in advertising at this point. Which is interesting, because, as a kid, I was convinced that that was what I should do with my life if my plan to become a best-selling spy novelist came acropper (which it did when I lost interest in spies about the same time that my long suppressed interest in girls seemed like it might finally pay off.)

• CMS Author

Is it all done with mirrors? Or the phone's camera that recognizes something that it then downloads and plays?

Clever gimmick, but I'll be a lot of the still go in the trash. A quick web search found lots of articles about it, but not the name or web site of the developer. I'd be curious to know where it actually comes from and how it works.

• Members

So, in order to play this, the recipient must:

1) Assemble the turntable by folding the envelope

2) Position the record

3) Use a smart phone app

And they think someone will be more likely to do all that than pop a CD in? I get the gimmick, but I just don't see this catching on. 

Archived