Am I the only one that doesn't want to breath smoke in the city?

techristian

• Members

Are we talking fireplace fires?

Out here in Cali it seems like -- these days -- people seem to reserve them for right around the holidays. Of course, it doesn't get super cold here on the coast. 

But I think most older folks remember when, day after day, month after month,  So Cal was coveredn in a thick, brown, acrid layer of smog. (Of course, back then, everyone used their fireplace. I guess it seems like just a drop in the bucket. Now, with mostly blue skies most days of the year, people feel like they have something to lose, I think.)

That said, sometimes the barbecues get a little heavy. It's only really bad though with the people who use a bunch of charcoal lighting fluid. That stuff is evil. Everyone ought to use those cannister things. They work great, by and large.

• Members

"That said, sometimes the barbecues get a little heavy. It's only really bad though with the people who use a bunch of charcoal lighting fluid. That stuff is evil."

California adopted fire codes in 2007 that prohibit charcoal BBQs in condos and apartment buildings unless they are used more that 10 feet away from any combustable construction. Actually this came down from international fire codes so this applies in most States. Starter fluid was banned in Los Angeles county a few years ago, unfortunately that ban has been lifted.

• Members

It still boggles me that now,  most clubs in America and the UK are smoke-free.   To think of all the secondhand smoke I have inhaled during my musical journey,   and now,   acts don't have to worry about that.

I remember reading a story in the late-80's:   Helen Reddy was playing a lounge in Las Vegas,     and the first thing she said when she came onstage was,   "There will be no smoking during my performance."     And half the shmoes who'd come to see her,  got up and walked out.  Which was hella tacky of them.    I never thought public opinion would change to the point that an act wouldn't have to consider secondhand smoke.

• Members

I remember leaving restaurants when my kids were little because the smoke from the smokers did not realize which was the smoking section and which was non smoking.  I think it annoyed my then wife a little, but I would not sit still and let my children breathe second hand smoke... so we would leave and try some place else until the air was clear.  Was especially bad when visiting Indiana.

Archived