10 minute experimental demo of "Revolution" (1968)

I have only briefly listened to it, and not very closely, but some of it is definitely the same as the White Album version, while a lot of it is obviously "different." Could someone have added that to the raw tracks recently? Certainly possible I suppose, and as modern technology makes that more feasible, I have to wonder if we won't see just those sorts of attempts at deception - "listen to this lost Beatles track that was recently discovered!" - when it's just a bunch of modern edits to the original source multitracks plus some modern overdubs slapped on so it has some "differences", and then passed off as a previously unknown outtake or whatever.

But then again, they did TONS of takes of some of their songs. Mark Lewisohn's excellent book "The Beatles Recording Sessions" documents a lot of that very well. And most of us - even the rabid Beatles fans, have never heard a lot of that stuff. Could there be a ten minute long alternative take of Revolution 1 that wound up being edited down and used for that version, as well as parts of Revolution 9? Again, it's possible, although if so, it's news to me. I want to research this a lot more - which I don't have time to do this weekend, but hopefully sometime this week I can look into it...

It's really interesting Ken - thanks for posting it!

• Members

Phil O'Keefe wrote:

I have only briefly listened to it, and not very closely, but some of it is definitely the same as the White Album version, while a lot of it is obviously "different." Could someone have added that to the raw tracks recently? Certainly possible I suppose, and as modern technology makes that more feasible, I have to wonder if we won't see just those sorts of attempts at deception - "listen to this lost Beatles track that was recently discovered!" - when it's just a bunch of modern edits to the original source multitracks plus some modern overdubs slapped on so it has some "differences", and then passed off as a previously unknown outtake or whatever.

Have you heard The Beatles Love? Pretty much along the lines of what you said. Really fun to listen to and turned me on to some the Beatles stuff I was not really fond of in its original form. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

philbo wrote:

Ken. Thanks for posting it regardless

I admit I'm no expert & didn't do a forensic analysis. Just was commenting on my perception of it. No offense intended.

No offense taken.  I would not know at all about this, but it just struck me as quite interesting.

Archived