Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you been writing songs about?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have you been writing songs about?

I love songwriting and have been doing it for a while. I enjoy writing instrumental songs, using ideas I hear from my head. Sometimes I use lyrics, it sometimes comes out very nonsensical on the surface, but has a deeper meaning to myself.

I like this site personally, for inspiration for songwriting (see link below)

What about yourself? what do you write about?
    Last edited by misterlutherman; 11-23-2018, 05:01 AM.

Originally posted by misterlutherman View Post
    I. . . what do you write about?
    Life and death, love and hate, God and Satan, heaven and hell, good and evil, friends and foes, truth and lies, spirit and flesh, food and booze, home and highway, railways and rivers, mountains and valleys, cars and trucks, yesterday and tomorrow.

And to hell with the middle eight!
    Last edited by Delmont; 11-23-2018, 10:12 AM.
    Del
    www.thefullertons.net
    ( •)—:::
    Sent on my six-string jumbo ukelele

Comment

Normal stuff. Pain and hurt seem to trigger ideas. And then out of nowhere a story song comes along.

Comment

A feeling that the muse conjures up that won't cut me a break unless I write about it. That feeling used to harass me often but, as I've become older and calloused by reality's apathy towards passion, I tend to rationalize it. If it still persists after that then I see it as genuine enough to bother with.

Instrumentals are the primary focus because lyrics are only as good as the imagination for them permits, and I'm not gifted with that psyche.
        - The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Citizens and Residents Of The United States and U.S Persons - USA PATRIOT Act Notice: You are hereby notified that under the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act, you may be placed under electronic surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site by intelligence or law enforcement agencies at any time or for any purpose for which they may deem fit, without your knowledge or permission and without the order or supervision of any court of law. As the provisions of the Act strictly prohibit, with fines and imprisonment, the managers of this site from disclosing such surveillance should it become known to us, you should assume that you are under surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site, electronic mail or any other form of electronic communication related thereto.

Comment

A large majority of my songs have been partly inspired by a friend who I had deep feelings for in the past. It was a complicated relationship that had many good and bad moments, which we eventually had a falling out. These things happened over 5 years ago but still to this day I think about it all the time. This was the first person to believe in my music and was also the driving force for me to keep on writing. Probably the true definition of a 'muse'. Regarding the subject of my songs, a lot of my songs are about reuniting with people in my past, and being hopeful in sad times.
          Last edited by davie; 11-28-2018, 02:48 AM.
          Moderator - Vocals and Voiceovers Forum
          Follow me on Twitter and Soundcloud

Comment

Pretty much always about life experiences. Unlike many songwriters, I am pretty much only inspired when I'm happy, all of my tunes have a positive bent.
            http://thekiltlifters.com

Comment

Originally posted by MrHarryReems View Post
              Pretty much always about life experiences. Unlike many songwriters, I am pretty much only inspired when I'm happy, all of my tunes have a positive bent.
              So, as song a day, then?
              - The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Citizens and Residents Of The United States and U.S Persons - USA PATRIOT Act Notice: You are hereby notified that under the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act, you may be placed under electronic surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site by intelligence or law enforcement agencies at any time or for any purpose for which they may deem fit, without your knowledge or permission and without the order or supervision of any court of law. As the provisions of the Act strictly prohibit, with fines and imprisonment, the managers of this site from disclosing such surveillance should it become known to us, you should assume that you are under surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site, electronic mail or any other form of electronic communication related thereto.

Comment

Mostly the usual, my beloved and/or my life in general.

But a fair % are general and/or hypothetical, i.e. not about any real person or experience.

Comment

I like writing ballads that (hopefully) sound a little like songs from the '30s and '40s.

Once in a while I'll write story songs like the one I just posted.
                  “Good Vibrations” was probably a good record but who's to know? You had to play it about 90 bloody times to even hear what they were singing about. What’s next? Rock opera? —Pete Townshend, Melody Maker Interview, 1966.

Comment

Originally posted by bill5 View Post
                    Mostly the usual, my beloved and/or my life in general. . . .
                    Brave soul! Those are two topics I never touch!

EDIT:

PS - Just remembered. I did write a song about a beloved once. I wrote it about my girlfriend Roberta. Biggest musical mistake I've ever made. The song title was (dumb, dumb, dumb!) "Roberta."

It was pretty good, too.

So when she broke up with me, I was stuck with a good song I could never play again. I compensated by writing this:
                    "The Best Song That I Ever Wrote"

Outdid myself when I wrote that song, plumbed the deepest depths of me
                    to immortalize a passion forever meant to be,
                    but I can't sing that song no more, for the words are all untrue.
                    The best song that I ever wrote shoulda never wrote for you!

The melody came like magic, the words came out like wine,
                    but the story came out different than true love's grand design.
                    Here today and gone tomorrow, guess you taught me a thing or two.

It ain't no laughing matter when a love so right goes wrong,
                    but I can take the jokes behind my back when a jukebox plays that song.
                    It's knowing that your last embrace was just a backhand toodle-oo -
                    the best song that I ever wrote shoulda never wrote for you!

The story does have a happy ending, though. I eventually realized that I could change the name to Alberta and pay the dern song as much as I want!
                    Last edited by Delmont; 12-13-2018, 01:55 PM.
                    Del
                    www.thefullertons.net
                    ( •)—:::
                    Sent on my six-string jumbo ukelele

Comment

Working...
                    X