Examples of modern songs with short verses?

davie

• Moderators

Hey guys, how's it going? Haven't posted here in a while. Took a hiatus from songwriting, but I'm now trying to back into the swing of things.

Been working on some new songs lately and been coming up with arrangements that use short verses, maybe like 2 lines each (comprised of 8 bars).

Know of any examples of songs with short verses?

The challenge here is trying to build up song context using short verses. I think the chorus might have more lines in my case. 4 lines or so (within 8 bars).

• Moderators

In that song the first verse seems to be 8 bars by my count, comprised of 4 lines.

My song has something similar, technically 4 lines, but I combined 2 lines to make one phrase, making a total of 2 phrases.

Basically I took up two lines just to make one phrase, which seemed to take up too much room in the song.

I think the way to fix my issue might be to separate everything into shorter lines and change to it 4 brief lines.

• Members

By the way, I just Googled the song. I can see why I thought the verses were longer. It hops from verse to chorus to bridge without any gaps, so it sounded to me like one long verse.

There's certainly nothing unusual or challenging about short verses. But I have a question. The lyrics site where I found the words called Refugees an enw band. Googling around, I found a Welsh folk band called Di Enw, but that was about it.

So what's an enw band?

=O.

Archived