Hey I Do Still Live - and here's a new track To The River

nat whilk II

• Members

I kep sayin' I'd show up with some new material - just took a bit......

To The River

https://soundcloud.com/natwhilkii1/to-the-river

I'm using a different vocal mic - to my ears at least, this one sounds like it's a real fit for my voice - AT4047.

Big piano ballad - this is definitely demo-level. The plan is to add some guitars, but keep it all very stripped down....

All commentary appreciated - I'll post up lyrics if anyone has an interest in the details....

nat whilk ii

Happy New Year!

• Members

Really nice musical mood Nat. There's just the right match of emotion between melody and words.

There was one line that features at the beginning and end that I thought could feel better however.

You wrote:

Come take a walk

Down to the river

No need to talk on

Down to the river

I feel that the final word in the quatrain shouldn't be a 2 syllable word. Maybe something that scans like this:

Come take a walk

Down to the river

No need to talk

As we're making our way

What do you think?

• Members

Hey OGP - long time!

Yes, I instantly saw your point - a single syllable word would also help lead to the next phrase "it's always...." better as the phrasing is a bit cramped.

I'll have to percolate your idea, as I'll want just the ticket in terms of word choice - repeating "to the River" does have it's particular use imprinting the song title and trying to make "the river" seem like an extra special, meaningful place. Hmm...think on this I will.

Thx for the tip -

nat

• Members

Yeah - it seems like things here just started falling off gradually after Lee quite modding - I see Stick posts from time to time, and Leonard....but it's getting to be a bit like talking to yourself on an empty bus.

Appreciate your feedback - still thinking over your idea.

nat

• Members

I liked Lee and enjoyed her stories, history, and also her posting style- words that felt like a cool breeze to read, eclipsed only by the silken verbosity of Nate Wilk (and to the brown-nosing skillz of PFC61). My only criticism of Lee as mod was her quickness to ban opposing viewpoints and members who bucked the status quo. I don't feel that she honored freedom of expression (and no, she never banned me).

• Members

Thx, Stick, for the idea. Actually, my choice of "to" instead of "by" was very specific. For one, there are already a zillion "down by the river" lines and titles in songs, so I wanted to avoid producing yet another one.

Also, the "to" usage is a bit of a southern USA thing as in "hey Gus, you been down to the new Walmart, seen them prices on bullets? Me I'ma gonna stock up for liberal-huntin' season!" :)

So far it's looking like I'm a gonna stick with the refrain as is unless the Muse hands me something with a kiss.

All comments seriously considered -

nat

• Members
It's a hit!

Great tune, nat.......got totally caught up in it. There were some spots where that stand up bass came out nicely and I started listening for it.

Sorry to be chiming in so late. I was fully involved in my last tune and I'm just slipping back into listening mode.

Thanks, Leonard. "got totally caught up in it" is high praise - that's exactly what I hope happens to at least some listeners to my tunes.

I'm pretty happy with that bass - I'm playing it on a keyboard, as it's a Kontakt sampled bass. I love playing bass on keys - shoulda been in the Doors, huh. :)

nat

• Members
FWIW - I posted up a revised 2nd mix of the To The River song. Added a standup bass, tweaked the B-3, retracked the vocals, messed with envelopes and a limiter.....

Is it a hit yet? :)

https://soundcloud.com/natwhilkii1/t...iver-version-2

nat

Love this - such a great sound

With the double bass id just consider adding some more notes in - like in the verse it goes

Bum - bum - bum as per the chord change

Maybe try more

Bu-Bum......Bu-bum-bum-bum.....Bu-bum

If that makes any sense

People tend to walk a little with the lines and it will add to realism.

• Members

Love this - such a great sound

With the double bass id just consider adding some more notes in - like in the verse it goes

Bum - bum - bum as per the chord change

Maybe try more

Bu-Bum......Bu-bum-bum-bum.....Bu-bum

If that makes any sense

People tend to walk a little with the lines and it will add to realism.

Yes, I get what you mean. Some little pickup notes - there are a few already in there, but sparse.

I'm undecided between two slightly different treatments of this tune. The first one is like the one on Soundcloud - the rhythm is pretty straightforward, the feel hymn-like and simple.

The other idea would be to add a brush-drumkit, and to put a bit of swing into it, making it a more soulful, Norah Jones-type of thing. This would mean a lot or work, and reworking the bass to swing along with the trapset stuff.

It may be a combination of the two treatments will be the ticket - go simple in hymn-like in parts, and kick in the brushed drums and bass in other parts.

I do so love this B-3 VST plugin - VB3. It's hands-down the best I've found. Native Instruments old B4 and B4II have a lot of soul, but can't compete with the pure, clear tone of VB3 and it's incredible Leslie emulation.

The other story behind this tune is that I'm making this one a woodshed ordeal, determined to get the recording and sound to my satisfaction for once. The new vocal mic is part of this effort. I need to find my recording technique so I can put out a CD that has a serious sound - recording that gets out of the way of the music, if you know what I mean.

If you've read this far, thanks! Hope this song is worth the work...

I'll be in touch, Stick - gotta get well and through some workload crunch first...

nat

• Members
FWIW - I posted up a revised 2nd mix of the To The River song. Added a standup bass, tweaked the B-3, retracked the vocals, messed with envelopes and a limiter.....

Is it a hit yet? :)

https://soundcloud.com/natwhilkii1/to-the-river-version-2

nat

I was just listening to some Tom Waits and surfing the net a bit. Just by chance I happen to listen to your song.

You just pulled me way from some early Tom Waits not one but twice.

:thu:

I think you got a good one there.

• Members

I was just listening to some Tom Waits and surfing the net a bit. Just by chance I happen to listen to your song.

You just pulled me way from some early Tom Waits not one but twice.

:thu:

I think you got a good one there.

Wow, appreciate the compliment. I don't think Tom needs to watch his back, 'tho :)

I'm getting polar reactions to this song. No really negative ones, but at the low end I'm getting "ho..hum - that's all it is? just a pretty river description?" to reactions like the above at the top end.

nat

Archived