September Showcase Thread

LeonardScaper

• Members

Thanks so much for that, my friend, especially for the songy observation. From a writing perspective, I knew there was a story in this one but from the beginning I was getting it all wrong. I was singing about the fisherman's daughter being the storm in my life.

You once said, stickboy, that you have to have lived it to write about it....and I had lived that first scenario. But it didn't feel right and I was forcing it. So I backed away until the real story came unforced. I have lived that one as well.

From a mastering perspective...I do things a bit differently. I work the gain staging on my tracks and do pretty much nothing on the master. When it was time to look for some loudness on this one I only needed less than 2 dB of gain on my master bus.

I am using Protools (PT11) and I only have the stock PT plugins. My master has an EQ and a compressor as well as the stock PT limiter but that limiter is just setting the ceiling with the threshold at 0.

What I do, though, is to put up PT's MasterMeter and bring the gain of the master bus up while I watch for clipping. That meter tells you exactly where the clip event is and I can go back and find the offending track and carefully automate the gain down only at that spot.

That process is very detailed but I thoroughly enjoy it. It allows me to inch the level of the master up gently without the harshness of a limiter. This song has an average RMS level of -15.2 dB while peaking right around 0.

Stickboy....I do hope you are working up that song you posted.

Is anyone else out there?

:wave:

Archived