F.I.T. December 4, 2015

LCK

• Members
I've posted this before but I think it bears repeating.

[video=youtube;zsGi7xQnqxw]

Yes, very impressive performance. Seems to be a mini-resurgence of gravel-voiced bluesy balladeers lately for some reason. Unless it's already come and gone - the wheel doesn't just turn these days, it dizzy-spins.

Or is the media's attention span all that's sped up? Who knows...

I like this one with another Texas/OK troubadour, Jimmy LaFave -

[YOUTUBE]4j7zieI_fuY[/YOUTUBE]

nat whilk ii

• Members

Yes, very impressive performance. Seems to be a mini-resurgence of gravel-voiced bluesy balladeers lately for some reason. Unless it's already come and gone - the wheel doesn't just turn these days, it dizzy-spins.

Or is the media's attention span all that's sped up? Who knows...

I like this one with another Texas/OK troubadour, Jimmy LaFave -

nat whilk ii

Yep. That's pretty nice...

I was a radio disc jockey for 15 years, starting when I was 17.

I don't remember the year -- it was the early 1970s -- but I had a thing for this girl I knew. I had written a poem for her (as you sometimes do when you're young), and one day, while listening to a Lightnin' Hopkins album, I realized one of the tracks might make a good background for a song, using that poem as the lyric.

So one day after my shift ended, I went into the production studio and recorded a version of "Annie's Blues" (Youtube link below), only mine was titled "The Golden Summer Blues" (very "poetic"). And I would occasionally play it on the air, calling the vocalist Cosmic Chuck. (Remember, this was the '70s.)

I don't remember the words (even if I did I wouldn't bore you with them), but I looked around on Youtube today and found that background track from Lightnin' Hopkins' double LP, Lightnin' (Poppy Records, 1969).

[video=youtube;W4eqrSISNEo]

There's more to the story, though. One day, I got a call from a high school kid who had a band and wondered if I'd like to be the lead singer.

"What makes you think I can sing?"

"You're Cosmic Chuck, right? I mean, that's you singing that song, isn't it?"

So we got together, my roommate ended up playing bass, and we had a band for about 6 months. It was called The Colonel Boogie Blues Band. (The kid was a phenomenal guitar player, by the way.)

And all thanks to Lightnin' Hopkins...

Archived