Friday Influences Thread 7-3-15

Lee Knight

• Moderators

I like this. Nice use of alternating 3/4 to 4/4 cadences. Then the straight 4/4 in the B section (If I wander...). Even shifting to a 2/4 feel (The longer I run...), though evenly counted and 4/4 like, the feel does change at the 2/4 section later in the tune. All seamlessly and furthering the magnetic pull of the narrative. But the alting 3/4 to 4/4 and back of the early verses is the heart of the song for me.

peter bradley adams

[video=youtube;uFI_GCjNlfk]

Now go eat some hot dogs and blow up some sh!t in the annual humiliation of King George III.

• Members

more poignant strummy acousticy americana - The Weepies. I think I'd be happy if they'd let me join their band. I wouldn't cause a fuss, I'm easy to get along with and I'd write some great songs for them, just one per album would be ok, and I could play some very subdued yet perfectly clever licks. Please?

happy 4th! mixed feelings!!

[YOUTUBE]seeSH1wliB8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]SqePMiTAoNE[/YOUTUBE]

nat whilk ii

• Members
I like this. Nice use of alternating 3/4 to 4/4 cadences. Then the straight 4/4 in the B section (If I wander...). Even shifting to a 2/4 feel (The longer I run...), though evenly counted and 4/4 like, the feel does change at the 2/4 section later in the tune. All seamlessly and furthering the magnetic pull of the narrative. But the alting 3/4 to 4/4 and back of the early verses is the heart of the song for me.

peter bradley adams

[video=youtube;uFI_GCjNlfk]

Now go eat some hot dogs and blow up some sh!t in the annual humiliation of King George III.

Yes - I like this all round.

The chorus rhythm is great. It's a sort of rolling, rollicking rhythm that is present in some banjo picking patterns.

It's interesting the way it is achieved with the off-set rhythms of the 2 instruments.

Maybe they're not off-set, but that's the only way I can explain what my ear is hearing.

• Moderators

Yes - I like this all round.

The chorus rhythm is great. It's a sort of rolling, rollicking rhythm that is present in some banjo picking patterns.

It's interesting the way it is achieved with the off-set rhythms of the 2 instruments.

Maybe they're not off-set, but that's the only way I can explain what my ear is hearing.

Right. The piano playing simple upbeats integrating into the picked guitar.

​And check how in the intro, the guitar's phrase in both measures 3 and 7 sound like 3/4 but they're not. The intro is straight 4/4 but measures 3 and 7 imply 3/4, which of course is coming up in the verses. Subtle and very clever.

• Members

Chick Webb Orchestra, with Ella Fitzgerald, "Wacky Dust." (1938)

Music by Oscar Levant, Lyric by Stanley Adams.

[video=youtube;RjRcKq38-IY]

Manhattan Transfer, "Wacky Dust." (synths replacing the Big Band arrangement).

[video=youtube;nZ2DSB6DOVo]

They call it wacky dust

It's from a hot cornet

It gives your feet a feeling so breezy

And oh, it's so easy to get

They call it wacky dust

It brings a dancing jag

And once it starts, then only a

Sap'll refuse to Big Apple or Shag

Oh I don't know just why it gets you so high

Putting a buzz in you heart

You'll do a marathon you'll wanna go on