Opinion composition: Arrow - Oli Queen

Eanwen

• Members

Hello!

I just saw this songwritting section, so I decided to post here:

I would like to share this song with you- Could it be possible to have some feedback and advice? It's my first composition, I never did one before, it's really new. I am french, and I am fond of the english language :)

Though I am conscious of my weaknesses..

I'm not sure the text of this song is written in a absolute correct english, it's very short: here it is:

"We'll fight back 'till we die To bring you back to life

Oli can you hear ? Oli Still you're Here

To fulfill a prophecy, will you kill your own family ?

No! oli Be A Queen, Cheer to your memory.

Gone but not forgotten, "we say gone, but you're not forgotten"

Clean yourself from Al Sahim,

Free your men from Raz-al-ghur

They can break your bones, they can't take your soul

Oli surely is, really a True Queen."

and here is the song: https://soundcloud.com/eanwen/arrow-oli-queen

Thanks for your help :)

• Members

Hi Eanwen,

Welcome to the Harmony Central Songwriting Forum and thanks for posting.

La chanson est jolie. Tu chantes tres bien. La poeme n'a pas les problems en Anglais - j'ai lu sans difficulte, et quand tu chantes les mots la sense est clair.

Formidable.

• Members

Hello!

Thank you a lot! Et merci de ta réponse en francais, bien agréable à lire je dois dire (y)

Thank you for your feedback! It's very encouraging :)

Do you think there is something missing it in? Like hm.. more instruments ?

• Members

Welcome to the board. Your singing is really lovely, and I really liked the arrangement and vocal harmonies. (You were pitchy in a few spots, esp the 5ths harmonies, 4ths?...easy to fix.).

As a song, I'm not sure how to respond to it. For a fan of comics it might have great resonance, but for me the subject matter just kind of floated by, I never got into it - for a casual listener it's not clear what's going on. Maybe if you had one strong hook that you came back to, it would matter less.

Hope this helps. Lovely stuff.

• Members

Hello

mbfrancis, thank you! For your time and interest. It's a very good and enriching message. I understand that the subject (and the song) did not really catch you. I think you right that probably it's more clear for somebody who understand the subject, but nor for somebody who don't know the character.

Your advice will help me, I will remember it.

• Members

I understand that it's a niche topic - my point is that you should be able to write the song in a way that also grabs the casual listener...give it a stronger hook, for example. Otherwise you are severely limiting the song's reach.

Archived