Some LYRIC writing tips...

• Members

First,

Look at your own life experience and write about it...

Just a stream of consciousness journal of your daily life would be great...

Or, pick a poignant moment in your life: birth, death, finding love, loss of love, self-discovery, spiritual revelations... and journal about them first...before writing any lyrics...

This will help you get in touch with that place within yourself that has a need to express...

Another exercise is:

Jot down several emotions on a page: from each word, write about your experience with those emotions...

I know this sounds like therapy, but, in a way, it is...

You should never just pump out a lyric without having some connection to it...

Recently, a colleague of mine wrote a song about a boy who had been battling leukemia and that boy's father's struggle to come to terms with the fact that he couldn't save his boy, make it better...though he wrote that about someone else's struggle, he did personally know the father and the boy and was deeply moved by the whole thing...

Most often, the only thing you should strive for in lyric content is truth...truth about you, your life, your observations, beliefs, trials, victories, your love, your hate...or how someone else's story affected you...

You shouldn't just "try to write a hit" because people will see through that, they will feel like they are being lied to...

Writing about common experience, a common experience to most people is fine, but it should be from your perspective...

It's entirely cool to be a "character" in the song, if you want to write more fictional material...so don't discount those opportunities for exploration...

Now, all songs don't have to be about deep life issues, but they should be real, true to yourself, and communicate...

Clear communication is another key to a good lyric...

Now some technical stuff:

Too often I think, people get out there Thesaurus and try to find the coolest word, rather than the clearest...

Be clear, say it with focus...

There is another thing you should look at...

Songs do NOT have to rhyme...

The only thing that should influence the course of a line is whether it communicates clearly, the message of the song...

If that does give rise to rhyme, then so be it...

Some suggestions would be to obviously, read and study poetry, NOT lyrics, to start off...

Not only read poetry, but study poetic forms...try and write within those parameters...

Then read and study the greatest lyricists work...those choices are up to your tastes but also should be varied, to get a good overview...

If you want to just grab a catchy hook line and write around it, find an English idioms book and jot down a few common catch phrases, then write your own experiences around that line...

Watch out for phrasing!

This is one of my personal peeves...

You a hear a line being sung hurriedly or a musical phrase is drawn out to match the lyric...EEK!

There is NO reason for this to happen...there are many different ways to say the same thing...

Leading to my next point...

Don't be stuck with the draft of lyrics you have in front of you...be ready, willing and able to self-edit for the sake of the song...

"But I love that line" ...but it doesn't fit, now that you're putting music to it, so change it...don't cram it together, it will sound crammed together...

Write in different styles to test yourself as you go: pop, punk, country, metal, progressive, ...whatever...

So... explore, create, write, re-write, mimic for the sake of learning only, find yourself, your voice, speak truth...

Hope this helps,

Scott

• Members

Scott..you know how much I respect you...so I'll respectfully disagree with you on a couple of points!

In reflecting on such topics as birth, death, love and war, one would ususally be inclined to write such a serious song as your collegue did.

While there is nothing wrong with that, especially considering it brought some enlightenment into other people's lives, I feel that things should be kept in perspective of reality.

I have recently overcome over a year's worth of writer's block. In that year I wrote some of my best stuff....but I hardly wrote at all. What I realized is that lyrically speaking I was taking everything too seriously. It occured to me that not every subject had to have this grandiose-ness to it. I'm writing pop ditties. I got to thinking about some of my favorite lyricists and even people like John Lennon, when he was in the Beatles, a large percentage of his lyrics, even the ones perceived as being serious are pretty tongue in cheek.

It just helped me to realize that I could write a song about the toast being burnt every morning. That's something that people go through. No, I didn't change the world with my lyrics...but I wrote a new song that may brighten up someone's day by having heard it.

The only other point I would disagree on is where you say songs don't have to rhyme. While this is true, you can do anything you want in a song, it is a pet peeve of mine to listen to someone establish a rhyming scheme and then not rhyme. In my opinion it reflects sloppiness. If your whole song has a certain scheme and then one line flat in the middle doesn't rhyme...you may consider changing something around.

Ahh..the beauty of songwriting...nobody's right!!! ;)

• Members

Originally posted by thelonius74

Scott..you know how much I respect you...so I'll respectfully disagree with you on a couple of points!

In reflecting on such topics as birth, death, love and war, one would ususally be inclined to write such a serious song as your collegue did.

While there is nothing wrong with that, especially considering it brought some enlightenment into other people's lives, I feel that things should be kept in perspective of reality.

I have recently overcome over a year's worth of writer's block. In that year I wrote some of my best stuff....but I hardly wrote at all. What I realized is that lyrically speaking I was taking everything too seriously. It occured to me that not every subject had to have this grandiose-ness to it. I'm writing pop ditties. I got to thinking about some of my favorite lyricists and even people like John Lennon, when he was in the Beatles, a large percentage of his lyrics, even the ones perceived as being serious are pretty tongue in cheek.

It just helped me to realize that I could write a song about the toast being burnt every morning. That's something that people go through. No, I didn't change the world with my lyrics...but I wrote a new song that may brighten up someone's day by having heard it.

The only other point I would disagree on is where you say songs don't have to rhyme. While this is true, you can do anything you want in a song, it is a pet peeve of mine to listen to someone establish a rhyming scheme and then not rhyme. In my opinion it reflects sloppiness. If your whole song has a certain scheme and then one line flat in the middle doesn't rhyme...you may consider changing something around.

Ahh..the beauty of songwriting...nobody's right!!!
;)

Absolutely agree with you...

But, to be clear...

I wasn't implying that if a rhyming scheme is established, that it be abandoned mid-stream, but that poetry in and of itself, does not always have to rhyme, nor do song lyrics...if THOSE are the parameters you establish...

And with "serious approaches to life", style of writing...definitely NOT the way to write all the time...but a song can be powerful tool for inspiration to change, grow, heal, reflect...as well as lighten, have fun, and be totally humorous, totally tounge-in-cheek, or just plain and simply basic pop...

And heck, those ideas of mine are merely one of a million ways of doing this, that's what makes this forum so cool, is that we can inspire one another in different directions...

Great points, pal...thanks!

:)

Scott

• Members

Being able to say more with less words is effective in writing...

History is a great source for lyrical content... I believe the writing term is 'alliteration', which mean making refernce to historical, mythical, literary events/places/persons in your writings. Because historical, mythical, biblical, literary occurances are typically well known, you can say a lot with one reference... I hope that makes sense...

I've read somewhere that one way to tell amateur writing is the lack of symbolism. Physical things, nouns, that have deeper meaning. Again it's an example of saying a lot with few words. Such as a dove representing peace or fire representing destruction... Sometimes the symbol may be developed in the context fo the writing. Maybe a chair may mean a boy's memory of his grandfather('s favorite chair).

Literary devices work well in lyrics, but we shouldn't forget the musical aspects of vocals too... Vocals are often the melody in a song. I'm sure we've all heard some lyric that went "oooohh ahhhhh" that just went great with a song because of it's melody (I wish I could think of a good example right now).

Because of melody in lyrics, they don't always have to rhyme. But rhythmic content in lyrics can be important too, meaning the syllables. Although there can be manipulation of syllables, it's usually easy to spot.

• Members

IMO a whole album of "change the world" songs gets a little trite and preachy. One or two is good but ten jeez..... After two preachy cuts, burnt toast would be a welcome break.

Assonance and alliteration work well when rhyming isn't used.

• Members

Originally posted by Reposki

t... I believe the writing term is 'alliteration', which mean making refernce to historical, mythical, literary events/places/persons in your writings. Because historical, mythical, biblical, literary occurances are typically well known, you can say a lot with one reference... I hope that makes sense...

I thought alliteration was when you repeat the same sound a few times, like a tongue twister...maybe you mean allusion?

• Members

Originally posted by PuppetMaster

I thought alliteration was when you repeat the same sound a few times, like a tongue twister...maybe you mean allusion?

Actually,

Alliteration is repetition of the same first letter of each word in a line, stanza, or phrase...

Hope this has been clear...

Peace,

Scott

• Members

Originally posted by Sjonesmusic

Actually,

Alliteration is repetition of the same first letter of each word in a line, stanza, or phrase...

Peace,

Scott

those are some great tips ... thanks man !

• Members

Originally posted by Sjonesmusic

Actually,

Peace,

Scott

Or more loosely, repeating of consonants, not neccessarally as the first letter. This can work well to make a lyric more "singable" Assonance is vowel repetition.

• Members

Originally posted by Reposki

Being able to say more with less words is effective in writing...

History is a great source for lyrical content... I believe the writing term is 'alliteration', which mean making refernce to historical, mythical, literary events/places/persons in your writings. Because historical, mythical, biblical, literary occurances are typically well known, you can say a lot with one reference... I hope that makes sense...

I've read somewhere that one way to tell amateur writing is the lack of symbolism. Physical things, nouns, that have deeper meaning. Again it's an example of saying a lot with few words. Such as a dove representing peace or fire representing destruction... Sometimes the symbol may be developed in the context fo the writing. Maybe a chair may mean a boy's memory of his grandfather('s favorite chair).

Literary devices work well in lyrics, but we shouldn't forget the musical aspects of vocals too... Vocals are often the melody in a song. I'm sure we've all heard some lyric that went "oooohh ahhhhh" that just went great with a song because of it's melody (I wish I could think of a good example right now).

Because of melody in lyrics, they don't always have to rhyme. But rhythmic content in lyrics can be important too, meaning the syllables. Although there can be manipulation of syllables, it's usually easy to spot.

Well whoever it was that wrote that a sign of amateur writing is lack of symbolism is not quite on the ball.

Not that there's not a place for it, but writing is up to the individual, and me for instance, as an individual (not to say that there's no such thing as bad and sloppy and uncreative songwriting)...I think symbolism's use in most songs is quite pretentious and it gets on my nerves. Not because I'm not skilled or talented, I just don't like it.

One of my favorite lyricists is someone that people always raise an eyebrow at me for which is Bon Scott. When Bon Scott said something, you knew what he meant. He did do a bit of a roundabout, but it was still clear what he meant. Songs like Beatin' Around the Bush, She's got the Jack, and Big Balls are some examples. Bon said what he meant for the most part though. I find it very refreshing.

So basically for someone to write in a book that if we don't write songs according to his rules then we are amateurs...I have a bit of a problem with that.

• Members

I don't believe that writing the truth is always the best option. Sometimes outright lies can achieve very good results. For example, playing devil's advocate can be a useful way to point out something you really dislike.

Also, if you treat the idea of a lyric as a work of fiction - and why not? It's a valid format - then truth doesn't have to play any part of it.

Don't limit yourself to writing about your own experiences and emotions; try to explore other ideas and new ways of expressing them.

• Members

Originally posted by das Nichts

Blah, blah, blah. Just
write

Hi there!

Look pal, you don't have to be rude...

Many people, who don't have your glaringly obvious natural talent, may need some idea as to where to even begin...

If you can't offer something positive in here, and you wish to degrade the tone of this forum, by mocking the posts of others, then leave...

Disagree a with point? Fine...

A reason to be an ass? No...

Back off with the sarcasm, and help out, or find another forum...

Peace,

Scott

• Members

I have alot a trouble writing lyrics. I find lyrics harder than music, I no poet.

Some recent songs I wrote are historical themes.

I researched some past events which interested me and based lyrics on those events.eg colonial/medieval/celtic history , aboriginal history , wars , disasters , inventions , folk heros etc.

Within those lyrics I added , tragedy , death , glory , sex , joy etc.

cheers

• Members

Originally posted by non mushall

I have alot a trouble writing lyrics. I find lyrics harder than music, I no poet.

Some recent songs I wrote are historical themes.

I researched some past events which interested me and based lyrics on those events.eg colonial/medieval/celtic history , aboriginal history , wars , disasters , inventions , folk heros etc.

Within those lyrics I added , tragedy , death , glory , sex , joy etc.

cheers

I think lyrics don't necessarily have to rhyme, they just have to have a flow to them.

• Members

Originally posted by SomeGuyNamedRob

I think lyrics don't necessarily have to rhyme, they just have to have a flow to them.

I agree with that one.

One difficult task is to add lyrics to music already written. I overcome this difficulty by handing the music to other band members and let them do the lyrics:D

• Members

thanks for all the good advice in here everybody!

I think another way to write better lyrics is just to practice it a lot. its just like playing the guitar, at first you suck, with practice you eventually become better and better. You find what works for you and everything becomes easier, to the point where you may not even have to think about it anymore, it will come naturally. I;ve noticed this in myself, I've started writing lyrics a few months ago and sucked very badly. But I've noticed I've gotten a little better at it and its coming a little easier now. practice is the key

• Members

You know it's funny...das nichts has the attitude of a lot of people. In fact an attitude I myself have once held in my life. I don not anymore. I used to think songs were of pure inspiration so I would sit around waiting for them to come to me.

It doesn't work like that. It is a craft. It needs to be worked on and honed, so when you do get the inspiration you know what to do with it.

Do you think Bob Dylan does not have exercises and processes that he goes through in order to get his songs to the point that he likes them. You're fooling yourself if you think he doesn't.

Just as if he were a piano player, he has to practice.

I would challenge that if someone 'just writes' their songs could probably use a good deal of improvement, and I would also ask if your answer is to 'just write' as opposed to taking advice from people who know more than you...then what are you doing in a songwriting forum?

• Members

Great stuff!

IMO, the best way to improve, at anything, is to work

at it. Read and analyze lyrics and poems. Read songwriting

books. Yes, WRITE, WRITE WRITE.

I've found that forcing your self to write within constraints

is very valuable. What I mean is just deciding "I going

to write a song about x in this form" then doing it.

The end result might suck but going through the exercise

will make you a better writer.

Critique other peoples work but don't get stuck only doing

that. Critique great works as well. Did you know that people

who are tasked with identifying counterfeit money spend

most of their time looking at real money. They become so

familiar with the real thing that a counterfeit is obvious.

The some is true for songs. If you immerse yourself

in great songs you'll easily recognize good ones and

bad ones (even if you wrote the bad ones yourself!).

Another thing I'm very big on is focus. You should be able

to say, in one sentence, what your song is about. What's

the purpose or message that you are trying to convey.

Once you've defined that then every word in the lyric

should support that message or be cut.

I also typically write much more raw material than I

need and cut to the strongest stuff. If you need three

verses write 8 then cut. You'll end up with a better song.

Dave

• Members

Yeah, finally a forum for ME!

Loved the suggestions, thanks.

I have a BA in Psychology/English Writing, which basically translated into me spending 4 years in a cemetary writing poetry until dawn fell on the granite slabs . . .

When I decided to explore the possibilities of being a vocalist, I would write, rewrite and re-rewrite until I had hammered the lyrics into a complete and meaningful story. It was a struggle, though, and took me like 2 years to write 5 or 6 tunes.

At some point, I realized that writing poetry and writing lyrics are 2 different things for me. Instead of forcing everything into a cohesive, sensical story, I am working on forming the vocal melodies and rhythms first, and letting the premise and lyrics come from what sounds good in the context of the song.

Hopefully, this more organic approach will work better. It should as long as I don't get hung up on making every word "mean" something . . .

And as I listen to music more intensely, I have noticed that some of the best tunes either had simple, repetitive refrains, or lyrical hyperboly that really means nothing, but sounds good . . .

Glad I found this forum and I hope to be able to contribute more in the future.

Layyyter . . .

Archived