How do you go about writing a song?

• Members

What tools do you use?

I usually start with the acoustic guitar OR some words, eventually they will marry each other one way or another. Then once I have some words feeling like they go with some chords-I try to finish the music (chord progression-see if it needs a bridge, etc. ) then I make recorded copies of the chord progression and listen to it all the time until the words start flowing. I then try to get it into the computer and start working up an arrangement-

acoustic, drums, percussion, bass-

I use Cakewalk Home Studio 2002

Sometimes when I'm stuck, I'll use Jammer (I have an old 2.0 version) and plug some chords in to see what it comes up with-sometimes it helps. Or I'll start pasting loops together in ACID.

For lyric help?

I read-sometimes poetry, sometimes books-sometimes other lyrics. Sometimes I even use a program called "auto poet" (the free version)

http://www.kurzweilcyberart.com/

Basically that's how I write.

Peace,

Bryan

• Members

I think that's awesome...using computers to inspire humans!

I'm like you though, when I come up with a riff and need some melodies or lyrics, I have to record it. I'll run it through my POD into my MD4 sometimes. just the riff. (btw..I'm getting a drum machine to so I can get more of a sound with it)

Anyways... the reason I do that is because when i'm actually playing the riff or progression that I made up, I'm too close to it, so it's hard for me to write 'over' it. If I listen to it through headphones though it's like I'm listening to someone else's song, and it's easier for me to not think about what chords those are and keys and all that and just sing out a melody that I think is good and some lyrics that I think make sense.

• Members

Thelonius-

Why are you bothereing with a hardware based drum machine?

Why not use software?

For a minimum investment you can get much better results IMO.

I used to program my drums on a Boss DR550, then a Roland MV-30 triggering a TD7 drum module-I'll never go back!!!

My main recording app is Cakewalk Home studio 2002 (very important that 2002!!) which is like Sonar "Lite"-So even if you disreagrd the fact that this program is a semi-pro level recording package:

It comes with Cakewalk "Session Drummer" which has tons of Patterns-they are generated as MIDI-

then all you need is a good drum kit sound.

I HIGHLY recommend the Blue Jay Drum series soundfont from sonic implants. Now all you can edit your drums any way you want GRAPHICALLY!! via MIDI.

Home Studio 85.00 new @ store 65.00 boxed new on Ebay.

Sonic Implants drums (one set-I have four of their drum "sets" but each set has several variations so you basically get one kit per set with varoious options) 29.99-

For even MORE and better patterns Vamtech makes:

Drumtrax which fit right into your "session drummer" 29.99

so you see-for about 125.00 or less total you coulod really get into a drum AND recording solution-If your PC isn't powerful enough to record with-you really won't stress it out by only playing MIDI drums on it!-Oh, and HOme Studio 2002 also allows the use of ACID loops so you can create a great MIDI drum part and then throw on any loops you like and they will play back IN TIME just like in ACID-so that tambourine groove-download a free loop from the net-drag and drop-plays right along with your drums.

If you have a soundblaster card-the soundfonts will work.

It's pretty easy really, don't be scared by the term MIDI...

Peace,

Bryan

• Members

That's an excellent question...especially considering the fact that I have two computers!

My computers are in other rooms though, and I have a dedicated spot where all of my music stuff is, and I just don't have a computer in there. In the very near future though I'm going to move one of them into my music room and turn it into a studio computer with the digi 001 factory and then I'll use primarily software.

The drum machine at this point is to get scratch ideas down and for practice.

• Members

I have 3 basic methods :

1 - Jamming. I'll jam out a chord progression, record it, and then layer a bunch of stuff on top of it and write some lyrics.

2 - Sudden inspiration. I'll hear a word or phrase that sticks in my head and drives me insane until I write up a full lyric using that line or theme. Then I'll fit some music to it at a later time once I've got a vocal melody.

3 - Loop manipulation. I'll open ACID or Cakewalk and make some loops, edit them around, mess with the tempo, add effects, and generally take it wherever my mood dictates. Once the music is completed, I'll add a vocal, or manipulate vocal samples and add them to the mix.

• Members

Originally posted by BryanMichael

What tools do you use?

I usually start with the acoustic guitar OR some words, eventually they will marry each other one way or another. Then once I have some words feeling like they go with some chords-I try to finish the music (chord progression-see if it needs a bridge, etc. ) then I make recorded copies of the chord progression and listen to it all the time until the words start flowing. I then try to get it into the computer and start working up an arrangement-

acoustic, drums, percussion, bass-

I use Cakewalk Home Studio 2002

Sometimes when I'm stuck, I'll use Jammer (I have an old 2.0 version) and plug some chords in to see what it comes up with-sometimes it helps. Or I'll start pasting loops together in ACID.

For lyric help?

I read-sometimes poetry, sometimes books-sometimes other lyrics. Sometimes I even use a program called "auto poet" (the free version)

Basically that's how I write.

Peace,

Bryan

where do you get the auto poet?

• Members

Usually what'll happen is, I'll be practicing and start messing around with different chords; once in a while I'll hit a chord that sounds really interesting to me and then I'll try and work off of that one chord. Sometimes I'll try arpeggiating it or fingerpicking it to change up the sound and feel a little bit. After I get the basic progression down, my band will jam using that one riff or progression as the basis for a song, and we'll see where it goes.

Adam

Archived