Feedback please

zendog54

• Members

Hello,

I listened to you stuff-It's not quite my bag, but it seems to be recorded well-it has a very "tape-compressed" type of sound (which is nice and compliments the style) This stuff sounds "old" like it could have been made in 1979. The style is very "Classic Rock" and the singer sounds like Cat Stevens to me (timbre wise) but it also has a very jam band feel at times. I feel like this would go over well with the 45 and over classic rock crowd.

Technically, there isn't much wrong here-it sounds very professional! In the first song, it seems like the "arpeggiated" guitar is up in front a little too much in the mix (barely) and the third song has a bit of a meandering bit in the middle with the piano that I found slightly distracting but it sounds like you put the work into writing the songs and arranging them well.

What did you record this with -please tell me it was tape-the drums have a nice squashed quality that comes from tape or tubes (compressors ) or both-this is a warm recording.

Peace,

Bryan

• Members

Bryan...

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I play the primary guitar and piano in the band, and sing the song with the piano. BTW, I know what you mean about the meandering piano, there's a bass solo underneath...I really don't know much about the technical side of the recording, so I can't answer your questions about compression, etc... We did the actual recording in a professional studio. All three instrumental tracks were first takes, with vocals added afterwards. The drummer, who sings the first two songs, took the tapes to a friend with a nice home set-up to do the mastering....We're kind of new at this, even though the drummer and I are old timers. (You were right about the over 40 thing). We were hoping that the songs might have wider appeal, but appreciate your opinion. :cool: Tim

Archived