The elusive "regular gig".

jazzmaster

• Members

I've been doing the "guy with a guitar" thing for about 8 years now. I used to have one, but ever since moving to Seattle, I've been unable to secure anything resembling a "regular gig". There are places I've played more than once, but nowhere that I've been able to schedule a monthly show, or anything that steady.

I feel like my most productive times have been when I have been able to have a place to test out new material, and a deadlline to shoot for. The other reason it would be nice is that it's easier to build up an audience that way. If people know that you're playing at such-and-such place the first Friday of every month, you increase your chances that they will actually show up.

Is there anyone out there that's been through this? Any advice?

• Members

Originally posted by jazzmaster

I've been doing the "guy with a guitar" thing for about 8 years now. I used to have one, but ever since moving to Seattle, I've been unable to secure anything resembling a "regular gig". There are places I've played more than once, but nowhere that I've been able to schedule a monthly show, or anything that steady.

I feel like my most productive times have been when I have been able to have a place to test out new material, and a deadlline to shoot for. The other reason it would be nice is that it's easier to build up an audience that way. If people know that you're playing at such-and-such place the first Friday of every month, you increase your chances that they will actually show up.

Is there anyone out there that's been through this? Any advice?

Best thing to do is get someone you know to pose as a manager or something who's booking gigs for a tour. Have them tell the booking agent that the tour will cris-cross through the area and you'd like some repeat bookings.

Now do this for 2 or 3 clubs. It won't be the same as a residency, but if you can put together enough good press clippings, you might have a chance of getting

As far as getting people to show up, start a mailing list, get a website going, and keep it up to date.

Also bug the hell out of your friends and family to come to your first few gigs - those are crucial in showing a club you can draw a crowd.

• Members

Originally posted by SomeGuyNamedRob

Best thing to do is get someone you know to pose as a manager or something who's booking gigs for a tour. Have them tell the booking agent that the tour will cris-cross through the area and you'd like some repeat bookings.

Now do this for 2 or 3 clubs. It won't be the same as a residency, but if you can put together enough good press clippings, you might have a chance of getting

As far as getting people to show up, start a mailing list, get a website going, and keep it up to date.

Also bug the hell out of your friends and family to come to your first few gigs - those are crucial in showing a club you can draw a crowd.

I don't really want to lie about being "on tour", and I'm not looking for this to be a higher profile club gig either. I do lean on my friends when it comes to bigger club shows, and for the most part they do come out.

I guess I should explain more. When I lived in Missouri, I had a monthly gig playing at a restaurant. It was, by most standards a pretty "uncool" gig. For most people that were there, I was just background music, but every time I played there was at least one person who stayed to talk after my set. I sold quite a few tapes this way, and it was a really good way to expose people who might not otherwise know or care about my music to what I was doing. It also forced me to stay on my toes and work on new material, and a free meal and a few bucks are always helpful.

I guess what I'm really asking is how do you approach a place where you think your audience hangs out that may not even consider itself a music venue?

• Members

Originally posted by jazzmaster

I don't really want to lie about being "on tour", and I'm not looking for this to be a higher profile club gig either. I do lean on my friends when it comes to bigger club shows, and for the most part they do come out.

I guess I should explain more. When I lived in Missouri, I had a monthly gig playing at a restaurant. It was, by most standards a pretty "uncool" gig. For most people that were there, I was just background music, but every time I played there was at least one person who stayed to talk after my set. I sold quite a few tapes this way, and it was a really good way to expose people who might not otherwise know or care about my music to what I was doing. It also forced me to stay on my toes and work on new material, and a free meal and a few bucks are always helpful.

I guess what I'm really asking is how do you approach a place where you think your audience hangs out that may not even consider itself a music venue?

If you mean trying to score gigs at a resturant or coffee house or the like, it's as simple as finding out who the owner is, and talking to them. You'll have to convince them that you can help draw a crowd, and that you won't disturb any existing clientele.

Explain what you did in Missouri, and use that place as a reference if you can. Having a good press kit also helps.

Archived