My band just wrote a tune with the same chords all the way through...

Zeopold

• Members

Originally posted by Aaron Cheney

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
by Van Halen got by with only three chords through the entire song (Am, G, C). I think you need to go back to the drawing board and trim a little fat....

A

There's a little more to it than that.

• Members

ALOT of songs are like that, i just learned So Lonely by The Police, 4 chords throughout, I also just started playing Tupelo Honey by Van Morrison, Same chords for the verse and chorus. If it sounds good, who cares, most people who listen could care less if it has 2 chords or 817.

• Members

To sum up everyone's individual examples, think about how you listen to music. You're primarily concerned with melody, lyrics, and a nice groove. You don't really notice harmony until someone puts in a color chord. If you're playing the song and it feels really repetitive, it might just need a change in texture (add a guitar, remove a guitar, add a riff to the second verse) and that will be enough to break things up. Think about the difference between an original that sounds sweet and the cover of it that sucks. Same chords, different texture, groove, feel, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Here's a few more examples of great tunes with few chords:

Gimme' Shelter - The Stones - 3 chords over and over

Chain of Fools - Aretha Fraklin - 1 chord

Fairies Where Boots - Black Sabbath (just a couple of great riffs that amount to about 3 chords

It not the amount of chords, it what you do with them. If your going to write a simple tune it should have a interesting melody that really goes somewhere.

Archived