Love Treat Me Kind - Piano Ballad lyric fine-tuning

mbfrancis

• Members

OK, trying to finish a song a week, sorry for clogging up the board. This is another one that was 90% done for ~15 years and I finally forced myself to finish tonight. It's kind of a jazz(y) musical theater piano ballad, standard-type thing. Nice chords + melody, definitely needs some lyrical fine-tuning, though - so let me know what rubs you wrong. (Also, who do you see singing something like this?) Rock!

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12769813

Love Treat Me Kind

Love, treat me kind,

though it hurts too much to say

Love, please don’t mind

that you have to see me this way

shaking from my head down to my feet

breaking open every time we meet

I can’t make him love me can I?

Why’s he so much stronger than I?

Love treat me kind…tonight

Love, treat me kind,

wish I’d never seen your face

Love, is he blind?

to never see himself in my warm embrace

Laughing at the clouds above my head

when I should be in his arms instead

He’s just a child, he’s not perfect is he?

Then why does his touch make me dizzy?

Every time we end like this together

Love, you let me down

So I pray you’d up and fly away

But I know that’s wrong

I know it’s true

That the whole world starts and end with you

Laughing at the clouds above my head

when I should be in his arms instead

I can’t make him love me can I?

Love treat me kind (3x)…tonight

• Members

It feels like a ballad from a musical - it's very nice.

Melodically, the 1st 4 lines of the verses are not as strong as the remaining lines and the Bridge.

So you've set your own standard of melody, but IMO fallen short on those 4 lines.

I think the lyric may be better than you think - it's pretty right for the genre.

• Members

Beautiful melody. The lyric is not bad either. Some clever rhymes. The song has a strong emotional pull, which is nice.

The structure is unusual. Standard verses are usually written in 8, 12, or 16 bar sections. Yours have 18.

It doesn't really sound like a standard to my ears, though. And not just for the # of bars. It sounds more like a theater piece. But I could definitely hear someone from the cabaret world putting this in their act.

If it were my song I'd cut the verses down to 12 bars and add some internal rhymes, like so:

Love, treat me kind,

though it hurts too much to say

Love, please don’t mind

that you have to see me this way

I can’t last much longer can I?

Love treat me kind…tonight.

Love, treat me kind,

wish I’d never seen your face

Love, is he blind?

to never see himself in my warm embrace

God knows he's not much, he’s not perfect is he?

So why does his touch always make me dizzy?

• Members

Thanks guys. You're right, clearly this is musical theater. Given that, do you think I can get away with the verse length? I kind of like the unorthodoxy and the part you cut (laughing at the clouds) is probably my favorite melody, although it's a bit Andrew Lloyd Weber I admit. Do you think it drags?

Like the word fine-tuning, will be tweaking definitely.

• Members
Thanks guys. You're right' date=' clearly this is musical theater. Given that, do you think I can get away with the verse length? I kind of like the unorthodoxy and the part you cut (laughing at the clouds) is probably my favorite melody, although it's a bit Andrew Lloyd Weber I admit. Do you think it drags.[/quote']

No, I don't think it drags. It just doesn't come off as a standard.

You could try the cut just to see if it works -- strengthens the song. If it does, you could save the other melody for something else.

• Members
Thanks.

Well I thought about - the suggested trims work but definitely make it more of a standard, which then puts a ton of expectations on it - discipline, tightness, timelessness, etc. Eek.

Welcome to my world...

• Members

Very nice tune - one suggestion, on the lines "Why’s he so much stronger than I?" and "Then why does his touch make me dizzy?" I'd like to hear the melody reach up higher on the last three syllables, with some passion and the last syllable held for a 2-3 beats. The vowels "I" and the "ee" of "dizzy" are great vowels for held vocal notes. Make those lines the big emotional "yearning" high points. The song needs a dramatic high point such as I'm suggesting - it flows along very well, smoothly, nice changes, but doesn't really peak strongly as currently written.

Also, if you make high dramatic points at the ends of those lines, you'd be set up just great for sticking in a couple of extra beats or even a whole bar just to hold the moment (a good place for, you know, high bells or something, disneyesque)

I'm hearing a Julie Andrews sort of clear, simple, poignant voice for this tune. Or a modern equivalent.

nat whilk ii

• Members
Very nice tune - one suggestion' date=' on the lines "Why’s he so much stronger than I?" and "Then why does his touch make me dizzy?" I'd like to hear the melody reach up higher on the last three syllables, with some passion and the last syllable held for a 2-3 beats. The vowels "I" and the "ee" of "dizzy" are great vowels for held vocal notes. Make those lines the big emotional "yearning" high points. The song needs a dramatic high point such as I'm suggesting...

I totally get that. You're saying also set up the last line/title better, with more drama. I'm wondering if I need to to that every time, or maybe just the last one? Hmmm.

And I'll say it again - lines 1 to 4 aren't as strong' date=' and feel they would benefit from a melodic tweak.[/quote']

I guess to me it kind of starts slow out the gate and builds emotionally with each section. I can't change the first half of each line - that's the main motif - but could tweak the second halves.

• Members

I guess to me it kind of starts slow out the gate and builds emotionally with each section. I can't change the first half of each line - that's the main motif - but could tweak the second halves.

I understand slow out of the gate followed by emotional build, but as an opener it's not quite enough to sustain interest IMO.

Tweak and you will be happy.

• Members

I understand slow out of the gate followed by emotional build, but as an opener it's not quite enough to sustain interest IMO.

I don't know about that. I kind of like the way it starts.

• Moderators

Yeah, that was kind of the idea, something that could be performed on Oscar night. No irony, no cleverness.

Aha! I get it now. I love it. I wasn't hearing the tune in a straight way. But now the lyric and tone work for me. It's the title that might be a little misleading. "Love... treat me kind." It has a very Pal Joey sort of vibe to it. Street weary and wise. It doesn't sound like something a Mermaid or a Princess or a young woman would sing. But! Every other word does.

I'd play with the idea of changing a few words to stay in her character. But keep it as it is now addressing the entity "Love".

Love... if you could.... try and be nice". "Love, this time... play nice." Love, don't be mean!"

• Members

Aha! I get it now. I love it. I wasn't hearing the tune in a straight way. But now the lyric and tone work for me. It's the title that might be a little misleading. "Love... treat me kind." It has a very Pal Joey sort of vibe to it. Street weary and wise. It doesn't sound like something a Mermaid or a Princess or a young woman would sing. But! Every other word does.

I'd play with the idea of changing a few words to stay in her character. But keep it as it is now addressing the entity "Love".

Love... if you could.... try and be nice". "Love, this time... play nice." Love, don't be mean!"

I get this, the grammar rubs me wrong, too, and is a little out of character with the rest, except...it's a bit like those brands or songs that purposefully misspell words to be unique. In this case, saying "love please be nice" or some such is not unique enough to be memorable, while the blatant grammar mess "love treat me kind" *is*, somewhat. (Also what you propose would upend the first 4 lines of each verse!) Also, I'm not so sure it's an ingenue - can still be an Oscar song if coming from a knowing woman.

The frustrating thing about all the suggestions is that I get them, they make sense, but I'm not sure I can execute them without breaking the thing!

• Members

I think its solid. Only two spots that I think might need attention lyrically... and I think what you already have works for the intended genre, so take this with a grain... is

Love, please don't mind

and

In my warm embrace

• Members

Yeah, the character would just have to have had one prior unhappy love experience to "qualify" for this song.

I like the personification of "Love" that she's singing to. Could be a greek myth motif - singing to a statue of Aphrodite or even Cupid. Or any other personification would work - could just be a personal "prayer to whoever" -

I would think that, if this got picked up, the lyrics would be reworked for some specific scenario anyway. This is one of those "themes for an imaginary western" (or film or play or musical or sitcom, whatever..)

So I'd just go with it, meself. It nails a mood, tells a little tale, inspires sympathy, et al. Nothing more required...

nat whilk ii

• Members
Love, please don't mind

and

In my warm embrace

Agreed on both, "embrace" especially, it's artificial - thanks for calling out.

Yeah' date=' the character would just have to have had one prior unhappy love experience to "qualify" for this song.[/quote']

Exactly. But does it need a musical or story around it to stand up?

• Members

OK how about:

Love treat me kind

Though it hurts to have to say

love do you mind?

I hate to let you see me this way

shaking from my head...

and

Love treat me kind

why do you cut me down to size?

love is he blind

to never see the love that burns in my eyes