How big is your slush pile

rsadasiv

• Members

HUGE - current list of titles stands at 244 with approx. 50% of those being actual works in progress.

My excuse is that it's pointless attempting to finish everything off, as I'm still a new boy learning his craft.

When I have more experience, I'll finish them.

I have finished off a number of songs that started as backing tracks given to me by others, but for my own works, I only take them as far as vocal, harmonies, rhythm guitar and bass. And they are rough recordings using a hand-held recorder and mixed into GarageBand.

Please post your excuses (or explanations).

Nobody will hold it against you if you confess to being a .............

• Members

It's gotten bigger since I started coming here. But then, I've written a lot more songs this past year than in any year prior to that. That said, I've probably got 20 or 30 unfinished songs in my trunk.

My slush pile may get a little smaller. I'm thinking of reviving a song I threw out a couple of years ago. I just posted the music and lyric on another thread.

I'm not sure now why I threw it out. Moods change, I guess.*

LCK

*Now there's a song title for you!

• Members

HUGE - current list of titles stands at 244 with approx. 50% of those being actual works in progress.

Wow, that makes me feel much better. ;)

Please post your excuses (or explanations).

For a long time I felt like chords and melodies came easily, but lyrics took forever. So I thought I would take some time and just write the lyrics by themselves, without the pressure of trying to match an existing melody and meter. Which worked, to some extent - except that now I'm stuck on what kind of music to write for all these trunk songs.

Oh well, there's always covers. :o

• Members

I have about 30 instrumental songs that are unfinished, and now that I write songs with words and vocals in them, those instrumentals will not ever be finished, unless I incorporate them into something else and add lyrics and vocals to them

I have maybe 20 unfinished songs aside from those...which is not many, except that the songs I consider virtually "finished" are ALSO pretty much unfinished. Dammit! I feel out of control when I have too many unfinished things!!!!

• Moderators

My slush pile is here in these pages of this forum. I make to order. I'm not much for unfinished. I wish I were, but I tend to finish or dump. For me, it's In-N-Out Burger. I don't cook it ahead of time. Once I decide I want a DoubleDouble Cheese with raw onion, I want it made then. Fresh.

As opposed to that Fillet o' Fish over at MacDoogles sitting under the heat lamps just waiting for a hungry camper.

• Moderators

Most songs are based on the real events in the songwriters life.

Except for metal... Cause they have no life. (not much happens in your moms basement) so they're forced to make up songs about being totally badass and satanic

Awesome sig^^^

• Members

Just to clarify terms, a "slush pile" is not a "junk heap", i.e., songs you've scrapped but may use for parts? I think of songs-to-be-completed, as opposed to songs-to-be-liquefied-and-fed-to-the-young, as more of a "hopper" than "slush pile".

And I've probably got about 20.

• Members

I have around 30 sitting in the waiting to get finished folder. Well, 21 in that folder, but several more on the phone and iPad. I also have a file with just random lyrics in it that is several pages long.

• Members

Not big at all. Practically non-existent. And I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing. I usually finish what I start, BUT...I haven't written a new song in months. Lately, I've been in recording mode, redoing some older stuff, and I'm also helping a friend record some songs he's written. I'm always afraid of having too many things lying around that I won't be able to finish for some unforseen reason. So it's hard to switch my brain into writing mode with all this other stuff going on. I've always dreamt of being prolific...but I don't know if that'll ever happen.

A big problem I have is getting my energy to align with what time I have to work on music. The time of day I'm feeling most energetic and motivated is usually early in the day...morning to afternoon. But usually I'm at work during the day. So that, plus an additional four and a half hours a week at the gym...doesn't seem like a lot, but it does eat up a significant chunk of my free time. By the time I get home, I'm pretty wiped. Sometimes I am able to give myself a good kick in the butt and push through it anyway. Other times, I'm not so successful. But that's life, I suppose.

Archived