All in Dreams version three - UPDATED w/ vocals

Oswlek

• Members

EDIT: Just posted a mix with vocals that is near completion, barring some suggestions otherwise.

http://picosong.com/wFj9

Alright, after wrestling with this song for too long and finally settling on a (perhaps flawed) set of lyrics, with the help of a friend I've now tracked and mixed everything but the vocals.

I still have some minor tweaking to do, mostly with levels and EQ, but I just wanted to pass it by here before calling it done. Are we laying it on too think or is it solid?

Some notes, I opened with the chorus instead of verse and the first vocals will start at 0:16. Nothing is sung when the horn comes in at the end, that takes the lead for a few passes before the vocals come in again to send the song away at the very end.

Here is the mix - http://picosong.com/w3ec

As a reminder, here is a camera demo that gives a sense of what the lyrics and vocal melody sound like - http://picosong.com/w3ee

Thanks! :thu:

• Moderators

The parts are absolutely great. But, unfortunately a lot of the sounds are dated. Just being honest, I think the song deserves a more contemporary sound set. The notes are beautiful.

As the track opens, the sound is cool. Some sort of stack of a midi guitar and some chorused maybe bottle sound that's retro but works as a contemporary sound. It's beautiful. At :15, the arrangement idea is great, switch to piano. But... I'm not crazy about that piano sound. The days of a sub par sampled piano being sufficient are gone. This is not a good piano sample. Either go with a good sample or go to a purposeful synth sound. One that says, "I'm not pretending to be a real piano". For instance, a mildly gritty Wurly with some nice warm ping-pong delay might fit the bill.

At :42 the intro sound reenters and all is well.

At 1:10, the chorus? a very 80's sounding fretless bass sound enters. I am not crazy about that. The programing is great, for 25 years ago. I'd track a fat sub bass and be done with it. not trying to be mean, I just think your tune and arrangement ideas deserves much better sounds. This is bordering on a General MIDI palette. Why not just track a bass guitar there? And maybe have your acoustic take the place of the piano sample.

As mentioned, the arrangement is solid. Very. The sounds? Not so much.

• Members

Thanks, Lee, for the honesty. The buddy I work with tends to have a classic slant, so it does creep in, for better or for worse.

I'll talk to him about the piano sounds, I definitely want to have a transition from something to the guitar in the second verse, don't want it to just stay there.

As for the bass, I'm about 99% certain it is real, so I'm not sure about that one. EQ? Effect?

• Moderators

It's not too cheesy for me either. I think it is great. It sounds like a midi demo though. If that serves your purpose, it's really well done. If you're trying to get it to release quality, I'd step up the sounds, through either:

a) more realistic emulations

b) sounds that aren't supposed to be emulations

c) guitar and bass replacements

But if you just want a great sounding, albeit clearly general midi, workup of your tune, you're there.

• Members

It's not too cheesy for me either. I think it is great. It sounds like a midi demo though. If that serves your purpose, it's really well done. If you're trying to get it to release quality, I'd step up the sounds, through either:

a) more realistic emulations

b) sounds that aren't supposed to be emulations

c) guitar and bass replacements

But if you just want a great sounding, albeit clearly general midi, workup of your tune, you're there.

Did you mean "piano and bass" replacements? The guitars are mic'd live by me. We'll see about the piano, but my buddy just tracked the bass real so that's been fixed. Other than that, though, there is no way we are going to get real perc, mellotron or horns. :(

Edit:

If you're trying to get it to release quality

When all tracks are recorded in a basement that is the antithesis of a soundproof studio, "release quality" is purely a dream.

• Moderators

Great that he's tracked the bass!!!! I meant to say that the piano might be replaced by guitar. But fixing the bass I think is a huge move forward. Maybe suggest a different piano patch? That's worth a shot.

not to worry though, like I said, it's very good. I just know a midi guy can get better sounds and he might be settling on that piano. Or have slightly dated taste? Try a more subdued, mellower piano. Those are easier to fake. It's the brightness that's a giveaway. It allows you to really register that it's a sample.

• Members

Great that he's tracked the bass!!!! I meant to say that the piano might be replaced by guitar. But fixing the bass I think is a huge move forward. Maybe suggest a different piano patch? That's worth a shot.

not to worry though, like I said, it's very good. I just know a midi guy can get better sounds and he might be settling on that piano. Or have slightly dated taste? Try a more subdued, mellower piano. Those are easier to fake. It's the brightness that's a giveaway. It allows you to really register that it's a sample.

Can that be EQ'd away if he has no better sample?

• Members

I like it.

But...I don't like where that high hat is at the beginning.....way out on the left like that.

:cool::wave:

It is a little loud. I think if I drop it it might become part of the scenery more, thanks.

• Moderators

Can that be EQ'd away if he has no better sample?

Sure. That might do it but maybe not. I'd soften it and have it not draw so much attention to it's early origins. Roll off some 5k and set it back a little with some room verb?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

http://picosong.com/wFj9

Here is a very up-to-date mix that has vocals. There are a few minor tweaks, mostly in volume automation in the vocals, that need to be done, but I am close to finally putting this one to rest. I hope to get a few of your ears on it before I do so.

Here are some things I've done

1) Took out some extraneous stuff (Hihat in the first chorus, and a few others)

2) I EQ'd and reverbed the piano to calm it down.

3) I tamed the first chorus music a {censored}load, so it no longer jumps all over you immediately.

4) Lots of harmonies, mostly in the second verse.

The song ended up getting bigger than I original intended, but I'm not unhappy about. Let me know if anything glaring jumps out at you.

BTW, it is funny, my last three posts all have to do with sleep/dream stuff. Didn't realize that until bumping this thread.

Late at night

Her breathing light

He lies down slow

Let her keep

Her hold on sleep

And worlds unknown

Anywhere, anyway

All in her dreams

Any role she can play

All in her dreams

She softly wakes

As morning breaks