Escaping your influences

animalwithin

• Members

We talk a lot about influences on here and I was just wondering, could influences be too affecting in that they take away your personal style of songwriting? I'll use me for example. I LOVE Zakk Wylde, his music is some of the most profound I've heard and I cant go by a day without listening to one of his songs (I'm talking mostly about his Pride and Glory work, Book of Shadows, some of his BLS work as well). Now when I right, I can't help but write with his style in mind: metaphorical songs, the same kind of musical tone, even some of the lyrics look similar. When I go to add music and singing, I find myslef making a song that sounds like something he would sing/write. Is this bad? Shouldn't I be finding my own style? I listen to other bands and artists, but I cant seem to change up my music/songwriting.

• Moderators

We talk a lot about influences on here and I was just wondering, could influences be too affecting in that they take away your personal style of songwriting? I'll use me for example. I LOVE Zakk Wylde, his music is some of the most profound I've heard and I cant go by a day without listening to one of his songs (I'm talking mostly about his Pride and Glory work, Book of Shadows, some of his BLS work as well). Now when I right, I can't help but write with his style in mind: metaphorical songs, the same kind of musical tone, even some of the lyrics look similar. When I go to add music and singing, I find myslef making a song that sounds like something he would sing/write. Is this bad? Shouldn't I be finding my own style? I listen to other bands and artists, but I cant seem to change up my music/songwriting.

Me too.

Though a different influence. Here's a trick. Think of someone else you absolutely love... another artist who's music is nothing like Wylde's. But you love almost as much. Now try to figure out how to combine the two.

• Members

Me too.

Though a different influence. Here's a trick. Think of someone else you absolutely
love...
another artist who's music is nothing like Wylde's. But you love almost as much. Now try to figure out how to combine the two.

You know what would be cool? Lennon meets Pink Floyd. :poke:

• Members

This is a tough one. I know how it feels. On one hand, if a certain artist is your favorite, then as a musician, it's only natural that you want to sound like they do. On the other hand, if your desire is also to find your own voice, then you're admiration for that artist conflicts with it. It really creates a dilemma.

If the audience you're trying to court is generally made up of Zakk Wylde fans, that could both be a problem as well as an advantage (some might criticize you for trying to copy him, others might think it's cool that you sound like their favorite artist). There's also a chance you don't sound as much like him as much as you think you do. I've gotten a lot of comparisons to artists who were far from anyone I ever wanted to sound like, or had even heard of. There are many who probably don't even know who Zakk Wylde is (he isn't exactly a household name), so they may not even notice. People will compare you to the closest thing they know, not necessarily the closest to what you actually sound like.

But I'm not sure there's a clear way around this. My simple answer would be to listen more to other bands, but you say you already do that. So really, I think it's just a phase you have to go through. After years of doing the same thing, your focus will start to shift at some point, and other things will become more musically important to you. Your old influences are always going to be a part of your musical DNA, but new elements will start creeping in too. I don't think you can't force it; just have to be patient and let it run its course, I think. Don't worry about it too much.

One day, you may decide to pull out all your old Zakk Wylde CDs and revisit that phase, and that's OK too. Musicians call it "getting back to your roots".

• Members

Escape your influences or embrace your influences?

If one ends up a pale imitation of someone, then sure, that's not necessarily a good thing.

But most people have multiple influences - a mix of sounds and styles.

Take a mix of The Everley Brothers, Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochrane, Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Muddy Waters, Elmore James, Bob Dylan and a few others.

This combined influence on 4 Liverpool lads in the late 50's and early 60's + their innate talent + some guidance from Brian Epstein and George Martin, and you are left with an amazing musical legacy.

So - Why not embrace our influences?

• Members

Great stuff everyone, thanks for the input!! By all means I embrace my influences and I always give them credit, wouldnt be here without all those incredible artists who inspired me to pick up a guitar. Kurdy, I dont sound like Zakk vocally, (although I wish!!), I just feel like all my songs come out to the same format as his acoustic work, slow, melodic, metaphorial, etc. Perhaps it is a phase I am going through, although my taste in music doesn't fluctuate much, and I could never fathom not listening to Zakk Wylde, or any other of the musicians I like. I guess the more I write, the more opportunities it gives me to forge my own style.

• Members

Perhaps it is a phase I am going through, although my taste in music doesn't fluctuate much, and I could never fathom not listening to Zakk Wylde, or any other of the musicians I like. I guess the more I write, the more opportunities it gives me to forge my own style.

Of course not...I wasn't saying you have to give up listening to your favorite music. There are two, maybe three artists that I would consider my core influences, and I don't think I will ever stop listening to them, nor will the music I make ever be rid of them (and I wouldn't want them to be). But recently, my focus seems to have become more spread out among of a variety of different music, rather than just concentrated on those few artists. It wasn't a decision I made, it just sort of happened. The same thing may very well happen to you too.

• Members

No. You like Zakk Wylde, because his style fits your head. It's natural for you to write in that style, because that's the way you think. He's just ahead of you on the learning curve.

But it is an issue if our approach to writing always follows the same path. It can lead to repeating one's self. And to a stagnation of sorts. It's important to keep an open mind to source of inspiration and approach, if we want to grow.

Archived