Distant Lullaby - WIP

Oswlek

• Members

Sorry about posting so soon after "Comfort", but this tune fell out of my guitar last night. It is a different tract than I usually take, and something tells me that it is inspired by all the Harry Nilsson I listened to this past week.

In fact, his song "Without Her" was something I pondered as I drew the melody out of "DL". Lyrically, it is a thematic borrowing of this stanza from "Comfortably Numb"

When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse

Out of the corner of my eye

I turned to look but it was gone

I cannot put my finger on it now

The child has grown, the dream is gone

Demo - http://picosong.com/wFCS

Edit to add: I don't actually sing all the lines as written here, some I didn't sing any words at all.

Distant lullaby

You used to come at night

Coax me soft to sleep

Somewhere warm and deep and safe

But that was long ago

A song I used to know

Distant lullaby

In the silence, I

Try to... recall how you went

If you'd play once more

I swear this time for sure

Distant lullaby

I will hold tight

And I... won't forget again

So, anything there? If so, some specific questions

1) I already know that LCK is going to hate the red line because the emphasis is wrong on "recall" (REEEE-call), but "remember" is too many syllables. Got any better ideas?

2) The ending was on-the-fly and probably won't last. For now, I am considering going back the verse and fading with some strings or just picking the chord that plays underneath "again" (1:46) a few times and leaving it hanging. Any preference? Any ideas that are even better?

When you listen to the interlude, imagine a swell of strings (not keyboard full string effect, individual cello and violin tracks) lifting off and taking the lead until the vocals come back in.

Lay it on me, other than the theme and actual phrase "distant lullaby" I'm not married to anything. Thanks! :thu:

• Members

Geez, "think of" - how in hell did I not
think
of that before?
:facepalm:

I intentionally avoided "hold you" because I thought it sounded too generic, but I'll consider that, especially if a few others agree.

i just think the "you" makes it personal... like you are really speaking to the lost lullaby

• Members

Just bumping this one more time, since it's been a busy day around here. For some reason I expected a little more interest in this one.

Should I mention it is only 2 minutes long?
;)

I've had a busy day, and just got around to this.

It's fantastic. It's beautiful. It's a solid keeper. But the lyric does need a little work. (Just a little.)

Stick has given you invaluable advice on the lyric. I can't comment on the word "recall" because you didn't sing it. There are other ways to talk about remembering something. I can't give you any ideas without hearing that line sung with whatever words you've got.

I think the second line of the opening verse is what you should work on first.

You used to come at night

What other times of day do lullabies come. If it's a lullaby, we know it's bedtime, etc.

So what else could the lullaby have done besides come at night?

Distant lullaby

you used to calm me down?

Distant lullaby

you used to bring me dreams?

It seems to me that that second line will turn out to be the theme of the whole song. The lullaby used to do something, it used to give this guy something he still needs but can no longer get access to.

Anyway -- damn! -- it's a really nice start. Don't feel bad that nobody's commenting. It's fantastic.

LCK

• Members

Thanks, Lee. I've always looked at that line as a weak link, so I'm glad you picked it out. I'm also eyeballing that "for sure" as something that could use an upgrade.

FWIW, if I keep the rhyme scheme as is, that second line needs to end in a strong "I" sound. Do you have any strong opinion on the necessity of keeping the rhyme in there?

As for the "recall" line, the only options I can think of that might work are

Try to re... member how you went

Try to... REEEcall how you went

Try to... think of how you went

Try to... summon how you went

Only the final two don't involve some fancy phrasing footwork to fit it in. For simplicity's sake I should probably just take Stick's line, though you know me and always wanting to be overly descriptive.

• Members

It's fantastic. It's beautiful. It's a solid keeper.

Yeah.

I just listened. What a beautiful song. Honestly this song works for me exactly like it is......short, well played and well sung. I love the way you ended it.

Your voice was right there with your playing.....just.....nice.

I'll let all of our illustrious wordsmiths hash out any minor lyrical issues.

Sometimes songs that are born like this should be kept as close to their original state as possible.

• Members

How about

If you'd only play for me

your purest/softest/sweetest melody

Distant lullaby

I will hold tight

Edit: Holy crap, is english my third language or something!?

Does dropping the "seriously, I only need one more fix!" diminish the urgency any?

• Members

ATM, I'm leaning towards

If you'd play for me (sing to me?)

Your purest melody

Distant lullaby

I will hold you tight

That last line sings very well and also rhymes with "went" so it offers quasi resolve that the listener recognizes but isn't 100% aware of. At least in my mind, that is what happens. ;)

• Members

Thanks, Lee. I've always looked at that line as a weak link, so I'm glad you picked it out. I'm also eyeballing that "for sure" as something that could use an upgrade.

FWIW, if I keep the rhyme scheme as is, that second line needs to end in a strong "I" sound. Do you have any strong opinion on the necessity of keeping the rhyme in there?

As for the "recall" line, the only options I can think of that might work are

Try to re... member how you went

Try to... REEEcall how you went

Try to... think of how you went

Try to... summon how you went

Like I said, I don't know how the melody is supposed to go there.

Bring back, call to mind, conjure up, hang on to, nail down the tune?

There are a few more, but I can't recollect any of them right now.

LCK

• Members

Like I said, I don't know how the melody is supposed to go there.

Bring back, call to mind, conjure up, hang on to, nail down the tune?

There are a few more, but I can't recollect any of them right now.

LCK

Bad pun alert!

The trick is, it needs to be two syllables. Bring back fits, but none of the others. If I could get away with more, I'd probably just run with "remember". ;)

• Members

Bad pun alert!

The trick is, it needs to be two syllables. Bring back fits, but none of the others. If I could get away with more, I'd probably just run with "remember".
;)

What if you tacked the "try to" on the the end of the previous line?

• Members

What if you tacked the "try to" on the the end of the previous line?

I tried to do that, but I can't pull it off without rewriting the second line. Sounds very akward, like I'm doing it because I want to fit the words, not because the song calls for it.

• Members

I
tried
to
do that, but I can't pull it off without rewriting the second line. Sounds very akward, like I'm doing it because I want to fit the words, not because the song calls for it.

Why didn't you like 'think of'?

Archived