Insatiable - delving into this one again

Oswlek

• Members

I passed this through a long time ago looking more for production help, but I've come to the conclusion that I need to start again from the ground up. I feel like I went too abstract with the lyrics and, even if they stay there, the last line of each chorus kinda sucks. I'm hoping the strong lyric group we have now can help me bang it into shape.

demo - http://picosong.com/wFhr

V1

Nameless, faceless sitting at the wheel

These guiding hands I can't reveal

Draped in shadow, mirror fails to show

What's behind the mask, afraid to ask

Who's in control

Chorus

Insatiable, the criminal I hide

I'm your carnival, your feeble vagrant ride

V2

Empty promises line our battered path

There's no bargaining, no bartering

With merciless wrath

Manic shame, molten in my blood

This passenger door's the only cure I know

Chorus

I'm your carnival, your feeble vacant ride

Insatiable, the animal inside

In your carnival, your feeble wrethed ride

A couple things.

1) I {censored}ing love this melody. I really don't have plans to alter that or shorten the song in any way. Only the opening phrase to the second verse is melodically up-for-grabs in any way. If it is too long, so be it.

2) Yes, I know the singing sucks and the triple tracked vocal does little to disguise it, but changing the key seems to kill something crucial to the magic with this one. I'll just have to do a better job with it later.

OK, that out of the way, on to the lyrics.

The song is about someone losing control due to an addiction of some kind. There are plenty of phrases that are to that effect, but nothing that makes it all clear. The problem is, I have no desire whatsoever to say, "one more fix" or banal addiction jargon like that, nor do I want to indicate exactly what the substance is.

Can clarity be offered within that set of requirements? Or am I pigeon holing myself into needing to stay vague?

Just as important is finding a fix for the even number chorus lines. That needs to happen either way, and is probably the top priority.

Really, the only lines I'd have a hard time tossing are the odd number lines in the chorus. Otherwise I'm willing to burn the entire thing down and build it up right.

Thanks in advance for the help.

• Members

I like the lyrical idea a lot. And it's really well-written, for the most part.

V1

Nameless, faceless sitting at the wheel

Whose guiding hands I can't reveal

Draped in shadow, mirror fails to show

What's behind the mask, afraid to ask

Who's in control

Chorus

I'm your carnival, your lost back-alley (?) ride

V2

Empty promises line this battered path

There's no bargaining, no bartering

or escaping wrath

Manic shame, raging in my blood

This passenger door's the only cure I know

The words or phrases in bold are partly suggestions. But they're mainly there to show where I think certain bits of the lyric fall short of the rest. As I said, overall it's really good.

LCK

• Members

It's a great piece of backing guitar and vocal melody, but the change to the major took me by surprise.

Juxtaposed against the rest of the music, the major shines a positive shaft of light into the sombre music and tragic lyric.

Musically it's beautiful, but in the context of this song, I'm not sure why you did that.

I agree with Lee - not that his suggestions are necessarily final, but he has put his finger exactly where I felt the lyric needed amendment.

You ask is it too abstract, and does it require something to firm up on the theme.

I think it could benefit from a word or two, but the rest can remain as you have it.

Otherwise, a fantastic song to move forward. You are 90% there.

• Members

Wow, color me surprised, it is my inner HC voice that keeps telling me that this one needs work. ;)

It's a great piece of backing guitar and vocal melody, but the change to the major took me by surprise.

Juxtaposed against the rest of the music, the major shines a positive shaft of light into the sombre music and tragic lyric.

Musically it's beautiful, but in the context of this song, I'm not sure why you did that.

I agree with Lee - not that his suggestions are necessarily final, but he has put his finger exactly where I felt the lyric needed amendment.

You ask is it too abstract, and does it require something to firm up on the theme.

I think it could benefit from a word or two, but the rest can remain as you have it.

Otherwise, a fantastic song to move forward. You are 90% there.

Why? Honestly, I have no idea, just love the sound of it. Frankly, it wasn't until I did that little major lift that I knew I was on to something.

You in depth thinkers and yer questions! ;)

• Members

I know - sometimes I just analyse too much.

You did it because it sounds good - point validated!

Totally. The funny thing is, it was a total accident (I'm in an altered tuning to the fingerings are the same and was simply plucking around.

Don't let my earlier comment disuade from analyzing some more. I was just playing.

• Members

I'm thrilled that you don't think "carnival" needs fixing, but I can't make the current idea for the rest of the line work. Gotta keep at that one, it is the weakest line of the entire song set as the anchor. Big problem.

Current idea? You mean my quickly tossed-off suggestion about a back-alley ride? Yeah, that probably won't fly. I don't know what to suggest in its place, but "feeble vacant ride" has got to go (IMO).

By the way, it's an amazing tune.

LCK

• Members

"feeble vacant ride" has got to go

Totally. And "feeble, wretched ride" is even worse :facepalm:

How about "shame, burning in my blood?" That hits hard. Anyone who's felt shame knows how hot it is.

I like that better than "raging" and it is more straightforward than "molten". I have to admit, I love the molten idea (like lava in my veins!), but it is probably contributes to the vagueness issues, so I'll see about trade those out. Thanks.

• Moderators

I'm your carnival, your feeble vagrant ride

"the criminal I hide" feels a bit overly poetic.

And you know, those carnival rides are skanky and edgy and bad. Why not just describe yourself as that in a little more detail

Insatiable, this criminal inside

I'm your good time, dirty carnival ride

• Moderators

That's really good. Maybe:

I'm your thrill time dirty carnival ride
(?)

LCK

I'm liking this^

It reminds me My Life With the Thrill Kill Cult or some other irresponsible 60's exploitation flick. I believe that's where this tune is going. Sort of sordid debauchery? I like "thrill time" cause cheap thrill I've heard before. It's cool but why bring along old baggage.

But thrill time? It's like some totally elicit yet alluring sideshow attraction. Just like Justin. :)

• Members

Can I reverse it?

Your dirty carnival, thrill time ride

or maybe

A dirty carnival, your thrill time ride

Lee, regarding this

"the criminal I hide" feels a bit overly poetic.

It may be overly poetic, but I think it is closer to the truth of someone dealing with an addiction. Plus it sets up the "animal inside" change nicely, IMO.

• Moderators

Can I reverse it?

or maybe

Lee, regarding this

It may be overly poetic, but I think it is closer to the truth of someone dealing with an addiction. Plus it sets up the "animal inside" change nicely, IMO.

I'll remind you, in friendship, that it is all in your opinion. That's what makes it yours. You gotta grab what you like and disregard the rest. That's what makes it you. You know what you like.

• Members

I'm really digging "a dirty carnival, your thrill time ride".

But now I need some different for the repeated chorus the second time around. I could probably get away with using "carnival" again, like "that cheap carnival" but the latter half should be new.

• Members

Just sang this over the last minute or so, and I think I can even get away with the reusing "dirty" again as well, as long as I use "that" at the beginning.

A dirty carnival, your thrill time ride

That dirty carnival, .....

Or perhaps it should be new, but along the same vibe, sickly/mangy/filthy/nasty, etc. Of those, I'm eyeballing "filthy" as a word that could be used, if not there in the latter half.

Now, about that last portion.....

• Members

My dirty carnival, downhill slide?

FWIW, "thril time ride" is one or two syllables too short. I can work with it, but options that add a syllable or two would actually be prefered. Oh, and I added some words to the post above.

• Members

FWIW, "thril time ride" is one or two syllables too short. .

I'm your carnival, your dirty thrill time ride.

That should fit.

LCK

BTW, "dirty thrill time ride" is a line that would, in all probability, not end up in one of my songs.

• Members

In your context of addiction - I'm thinking not dirty, because that 's not what appeals when in the grip of addiction; but rather the irresistible nature of it; like:

I'm your carnival - your seductive ride..., your irresistible ride, your insidious ride, beguiling, tempting, pernicious, overwhelming...

• Members

In your context of addiction - I'm thinking not dirty, because that 's not what appeals when in the grip of addiction; but rather the irresistible nature of it; like:

I'm your carnival - your seductive ride..., your irresistible ride, your insidious ride, beguiling, tempting, pernicious, overwhelming...

It should be pointed out that "I" am the ride, not the addiction. I am the dirty one. In this context those words really don't fit

That does raise on interesting decision though, how about changing it to "MY dirty carnival"? That might just be the change that makes things more clear...

As for keeping it "your", I think I figured it out.

Your dirty carnival, Oh thrill time ride

Your carnival, that filthy thrill time ride

I can just add an "oh" to fill the space in the early versions and I forgot that there isn't room for an adjective before "carnival" the final run through, so putting one before "thrill" is change enough to keep "thrill time ride" intact. If you don't like filthy feel free to offer something else. This also keeps "dirty" in front of "carnival" where it belongs.

But I'm definitely pondering that "my dirty carnival" change...

• Members

If the final stanza went something like

Your
dirty carnival, Oh thrill time ride

My
carnival, this unrelenting ride

Would that clarrify or confuse?

Not saying "unrelenting" is the choice. I'd prefer something like "inescapable", but that has one too many syllables.

Archived