Adrift (formerly Untitled)

bee3

• Members

The start of something...  as usual, just a verse and chorus to show you what I'm thinking. I don't know... are these lyrics just too... :manfrustrated:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12121925

We slipped into unconsciousness

But consciously we stayed adrift

Abstract notions strangely intertwined 

Reflecting love and hate and right and wrong

But willfully we move along

Ignoring all the warning signs

Our minds just may be gone

Too far along

We did not know

Help was right around the corner

• Members

I read the lyric first, and went......hmmmmmm.

I then listened - and I love it. Musically its really terrific. I enjoyed it so much, I couldn't care less about the lyric. I think it's a classic case of songs needing to be heard and not read.

I love the piano work so much, I'd suggest that your final arrangement have 50% instrumental work and 50% vocal. Whatever you write, it can be a mood lyric, with only the faintest hint of meaning.

• Members

bee3 wrote:

The start of something...  as usual, just a verse and chorus to show you what I'm thinking. I don't know... are these lyrics just too... 
:manfrustrated:

We slipped into unconsciousness

But consciously we stayed adrift

Abstract notions strangely intertwined 

Reflecting love and hate and right and wrong

But willfully we move along

Ignoring all the warning signs

Too far along

We did not know

Help was right around the corner

To my way of thinking, the part in blue is the essential hub of the song.

I wouldn't change a damn thing, lyrically. (Which is high praise, coming from me...)

• Members

I've been away from the computer for a few days and missed the discussion on this one.  I agree with LCK on leaving the words as they are in the first version you posted.  As a listener, I prefer the more open, abstract meaning that leaves me some options as to how I interpret it.  However, I do think the song could use another verse.  I have no ideas on the direction it should take, but right now the song just seems incomplete with that long instrumental section following the one verse.

One other minor nit - The rapid-fire delivery of the "right around the corner" line felt too harsh for me.  I'm wondering if there is a way to slow that down and soften it up a bit.  I don't think there is anything wrong with the words themselves, just the way they are delivered.

Almost forgot to mention - I like it a lot.

• Members

Monkey Uncle wrote:

I've been away from the computer for a few days and missed the discussion on this one.  I agree with LCK on leaving the words as they are in the first version you posted. 

The rapid-fire delivery of the "right around the corner" line felt too harsh for me.  I'm wondering if there is a way to slow that down and soften it up a bit.

I agree.

That's why I suggested this:

too far along

to know that help was

right around the corner

instead of this:

too far along

for us to know that

help was right around the corner

• 1 month later...