Prechorus Length?

davie

• Moderators

Can a prechorus be too long? I notice that most prechoruses I've heard are usually 4 or 8 measures long.
Would a 10 measure prechorus be too long and awkward sounding/feeling?
Do you know any popular songs that have a 10 measure prechorus (or possibly longer) ?

Just trying to get some insight on this.

• Members

I'm sure there are more but the only one that springs to my mind is:

I'm not sure how many measures, but it's noticeably long and it works fantastically well.
I suppose it just matters if people want to spend there time in that ten measures? Or what those measures are functionally doing?
Anyway - doing things you're not supposed to do is part of the fun. smile.gif

• Members

My philosophy is that each work is potentially different and may well require an idiosyncratic approach. And, of course, definitions or functions may overlap. If you've got something cool going on musically (and if you don't, if you're just filling space, shame on you -- but we've probably all been guilty of it, for sure me), it may make sense to have a little more prechorus. Other songs, maybe nothing is required, and it'll be a tighter song if you just blast right in.

• Members

^^ Heheh.

If I felt the need to make a pre-chorus longer, I may shift my view to the notion that the pre-chorus is actually the main chorus and the main chorus should be made shorter to kind of become the end or secondary chorus, playing more of a support role to the pre-chorus, if that makes sense.

In short, if a longer pre-chorus suits the song, go with it. It's all good. smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsofBirds View Post
I'm sure there are more but the only one that springs to my mind is:

I'm not sure how many measures, but it's noticeably long and it works fantastically well.
I suppose it just matters if people want to spend there time in that ten measures? Or what those measures are functionally doing?
Anyway - doing things you're not supposed to do is part of the fun. smile.gif
Wait a minute...there's a pre-chorus and chorus in that song? Where?

• Members

He might've meant this one:

^ That is what a long PC feels like, more of an extension of the verse, a growth development that doesn't scream "THE CHORUS IS COMING! THE CHORUS IS COMING!" but takes your hand and says, "let's just go a few steps higher, OK?".

For a PC to be that long, it really needs to be at least as interesting as the V or C and needs to want to be developed in and of itself.

• Moderators

I don't see that ^^^ as a "prechorus", though I realize the trivial nature of my defining things too rigorously anyway. But a prechorus, for me and my needs, implies a shortened section, shorter that the verse, shorter than the chorus, that is intended as a lift into the chorus. As a matter of fact, lots of guys call the section the "lift".

As that "prechorus" gets longer, it takes on more of the character of an equal section for me. Like an ABCABC structure. A = verse. B = a sort of 2nd, verse extension, and C = Chorus.

Not that any of it matters, because if it works it works. But, again for me, getting to grips with those distinctions above helps me to focus my ability to assess the work in progress and edit/re-write/improve upon it.

YMMV.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight View Post
I don't see that ^^^ as a "prechorus", though I realize the trivial nature of my defining things too rigorously anyway. But a prechorus, for me and my needs, implies a shortened section, shorter that the verse, shorter than the chorus, that is intended as a lift into the chorus. As a matter of fact, lots of guys call the section the "lift".

As that "prechorus" gets longer, it takes on more of the character of an equal section for me. Like an ABCABC structure. A = verse. B = a sort of 2nd, verse extension, and C = Chorus.

Not that any of it matters, because if it works it works. But, again for me, getting to grips with those distinctions above helps me to focus my ability to assess the work in progress and edit/re-write/improve upon it.

YMMV.
I don't disagree. I think we are saying similar things, though yours is more technically complete. A long prechorus is something of a paradox, its length takes away the momentum it is intended to create, thus making it more of a verse development.

• Members

A day in the life: Verse A, Verse B, 13 bar pre-chorus "lift" swell thingy, Chorus, Verse C, pre-chorus, end. (?)

I guess technically a chorus needs to be a refrain, but the the second swell (or bridge, or pre-chorus - as I understand it a pre-chorus is a bridge.. before the chorus) is playing on the fact that you expect the B part to repeat.. a chorus that they chopped off and threw away because doing things you're not supposed to is part of the fun.

::shrug::

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators

Sorry for bumping an ancient thread. lol

But I just realized that one of my favourite songs "Don't look back at anger" by Oasis is actually 12 bars long, which is interesting because it transitions smoothly between verse and chorus and builds momentum even though its quite long. Something I rarely (or never) see in current music.

You guys know any current songs that have long prechoruses like that?

Archived