Friday Influences Thread 06-07-13

Lee Knight

• Moderators

"Go ahead, post yer clip! Listen punk, we're not gonna just let you out of here. What you mean who's 'we'. Smith, Wesson... and me. See punk?"

_________

This post is about the Pentatonix cover of the Imagine Dragon's hit, Radioactive. Actually, I really like Imagine Dragon's Radioactive. Not as a listener as much as someone who can really appreciate what they've done. They've created a stoner pop hit. I can totally see me stoned at 17 and getting lost in this. Anyway... dig youtube stars, the Glee like acapella group Pentatonix. It's awesome... in a faux edgy Glee like way... then check what they do normally. Pretty incredible. Dig.

Pentatonix version:

And in their normal guise:

• Moderators

Personally, I have way too much to share this week. My wife, my kid and I have always shared our love of music with each other. This used to take the form of clamoring around a laptop and playing the "check this one out" game on youtube. Laptop speakers don't rock. Lately we've been doing the searches via digital TV through youtube. It looks and sounds way better of course. I'll be hooking up a 200 watt 12" sub and a Yamaha receiver to the TV soon and youtube nights are about to get way more LOUD... I mean fun. 

So, here's some stuff I'd never heard before from the wife and the kid. All awesome picks that I'm loving and calling my own.

From Lisa Knight, aged 47:

Lisa wow!.jpg

She's lovng her indie pop of late...

And we couldn't find the Dimitri Varelas arrangement of this below in a better recording, and there are some really good one's of just violin and piano, Itzhak Perlman's is great. But here's a camera recording of the arrangement she heard on Sirius. She called me mid-day yesterday and told me there was this song by a guy name Chrysler on right now that's making her cry. I listen when she says stuff like that.

Tyler Rae Knight. Aged 16:

Tyler gatsby.jpg

This is really great. Listen all the way through if you can...

She thought I'd hate this but she was WRONG! 

And this... well... who doesn't love getting lost on the dance floor?

• Members

http://www.amazon.com/Mixerman/e/B001QV42EW

I'm not going to get into his online persona but I do think that he has some useful insights along with a plethora of strongly held opinions and prejudices. I actually bought the books (because I'm old like that) but I started reading him as an online serial, and for a humorous/entertaining story about working with a band to record and album I highly recommend The Mixerman Diaries.

But the reason to post this in the FIT is not the funny stories about misguided musicians. The Mixerman Diaries also contains a lot of information about audio engineering, and if you combine that with the two Zen books (which aren't funny at all) you get a pretty good picture of how to create recorded music.

Not all the information is applicable to the bulk of what people on this forum are doing (and I think many of his opinions are both wrong and ridiculous). As how-to manuals these books are severely lacking. But making recorded music is making recorded music, and getting his input on something that you are just starting to recognize is an issue or is an issue that you still struggle with can be both validating and helpful.

• Moderators

Lee Knight wrote:

And this... well... who doesn't love getting lost on the dance floor?

Funny enough, the day after Tyler, my daughter, turned me onto the silly, fun and totally essential ass freeing disco revival tunage of Capitol Cities, her and her boyfriend end up with a pair of extra tickets to go to the concert on the beach, SPF. With lots of fairly subpar hit makers, the very forgettable Matt and Kim, Youngblood Hawke, etc... with... CAPITOL CITIES! Yes please and thank you. Yesterday afternoon and into the night.

This is the sort of event I just don't go to anymore. As soon as Capitol Cities came out, the world exploded.

spf capitol cities.jpg

Capitol Cities beach ball.JPG

As silly as they are, I danced and laughed and had the time of my life, along with a few thousand other people. Just great. You could almost taste the good vibes in the air. Every one had a HUGE smile. The world was at peace via disco. Sequenced drums plus (awesome programmer whoever you are) great live guitar, keys and synth effect bass guitar (great player) with very cool trumpet and the two stars who can barely sing. Fantastic. The beach wasn't bad either.

Archived