Collapse
No announcement yet.

A great melody first, then lyrics,(only) THEN 'vocals'

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really nice analysis, Mark. I love that album by Taylor. And I love that song...

Comment

• James and Carole - what great musicians - and when they get together!!!

I watched their reunion at the Troubadour DVD a few weeks back - one of my bestest musical experiences in a while.

If you haven't seen it, it is a worthy addition to your library. Here's a sample.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TLaBSyIwPc
      'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn'.
      CHARLIE PARKER

Comment

• Yes, 'old-git-brit-down-under,'

Comment

• Comment

• 23 years ago -- the night of December 17, 1989 -- 13.4 million viewers tuned in to FOX television to watch the very first episode of

Comment

• All year long throughout the year (even in the summer months)

Comment

• Earlier today, I was thinking of a song my mother sang to me when I was little --

Comment

• At this moment (pre-dawn) satellite radio is playing (just for me) Natalie Cole's favorite track from her "Stardust" album (arguably her best) -- HE WAS TOO GOOD TO ME.

My favorite interpretation of a great, almost forgotten love song by my favorite composer, Dick (Where the Hell is Larry?) Rodgers. Only Lorenz Hart, who led a short and tortured life, could have written this lyric. Featuring a musical bridge and closing obligato by trumpet great, Wynton Marsalis -- solos whose few, beautiful notes, Natalie said,

Comment

• It's been over 40 years since Joni Mitchell composed (words & music) the last great Christmas song of the 20th century

Comment

• I haven't kept my admiration for Rosemary Clooney's take on Ira's lyrics a secret. I think it was a marriage made in heaven. And Warren Vache from the Concord Jazz Label on Cornet... well... I love both of these songs here. Favoring Our Love Is.. but Vache's solo on the first tune absolutely kills, as does her tone and style. So, they are both GREAT, the second taking the edge because George did the music to that one. But Ira, I love Ira.

Dig both tunes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKsWgAN8lF0

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blackburn
                        View Post

At this moment (pre-dawn) satellite radio is playing (just for me) Natalie Cole's favorite track from her "Stardust" album (arguably her best) -- HE WAS TOO GOOD TO ME.

My introduction to this wonderful song came through The Kingston Trio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtlxX5TO86Y
                        “Good Vibrations” was probably a good record but who's to know? You had to play it about 90 bloody times to even hear what they were singing about. What’s next? Rock opera? —Pete Townshend, Melody Maker Interview, 1966.

Comment

• Thanks, Lee. The Kingston Trio: they helped introduced the world to Canada's

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blackburn
                            View Post

Nearly 50 years on, none of Lightfoot's ballads have become "Great Songbook" classics performed by jazz artists. But the best of them retain their power

Someone should cover this song of Gordie's. It's one of my favorites, though I have no idea what it's about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJja9QcEGGc
                            “Good Vibrations” was probably a good record but who's to know? You had to play it about 90 bloody times to even hear what they were singing about. What’s next? Rock opera? —Pete Townshend, Melody Maker Interview, 1966.

Comment

• ^^^ He sees his Saturday Clothes as a symbol for the great time he had with friends on Saturday. Those clothes are a little wrinkled, they are tattered in spots, and yet they feel right. Relaxing and true. Just like a Saturday with friends. Not perfect, but perfect.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
                                View Post

^^^ He sees his Saturday Clothes as a symbol for the great time he had with friends on Saturday. Those clothes are a little wrinkled, they are tattered in spots, and yet they feel right. Relaxing and true. Just like a Saturday with friends. Not perfect, but perfect.

Yep - that's what I got from it as well (before reading your post).

I like lyrics that don't spell it out, but just hint out the mood of a story.
                                'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn'.
                                CHARLIE PARKER

Comment

Working...
                                X