FS - Vintage 50's & 60's A. Zildjian Cymbals

Just3Guys

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It will really get down to how loud your band plays.

Obviously, most guys in the 50's were using 50's hats, and most recordings done in the 50's up to the late 60's were done with the 50's hats, so if you want to sound authentic, I would suggest 50's hats. They are great for that sloshy, partly open, "Ringo" sound.

Zildjian started making "New Beat" hats in the mid 60's so the hats could cut through the band, since music was getting much louder.

The 60's New Beat hats have a slightly heavier top and a much heavier bottom, which makes them louder and have a more pronounced "chick" sound. They can also take more of a pounding if you have a heavy hand.

Bottom line is that either will sound very good, but if you are playing rock, you might prefer 60's New Beat hats. They are the rock and roll standard, and 60's ones sound the best. If the band is not real loud, use 50's hats. They are also perfect for jazz.

Steve

• Members

I just sent you a PM with my email address. I'm trying to get these by christmas so I was wanting shipping details (I'm located in NYC). Also is there any way we could strike a deal if I got both the 50's hat and the crash?

Archived