Are you a rubber head or a mesh head?

1001gear

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I'm mostly an acoustic skins guy, but have played around on rubber and a few times on mesh. And I sometimes use a multi-pad with rubber strike areas. I've recently begun gravitating toward Yamaha's Textured Cellular Silicone (TCS) heads as in their DTX-PADs, although I can't really afford to make that switch without first spinning off the current kit.

The psychic trade-offs between acoustic and electronic makes my head hurt... so my mental debate between the virtues of rubber vs. mesh vs. TCS is only another minor metaphysical detail...

:)

-D44

• Members

Yeah Pinstripes - even dead ones as they are now, before eectrics. I don't mind good samples, just can't relate to playing them in lieu of real drums. Even low volumewise where the electrics win the realism game hands down, I'd rather play acoustic.

• Members

I'm a guitar player, but have a set of Premier Drums at the house I bought 20 years ago. I also have a set of Yamaha DTX532K Electronic Drums

One mesh snare and the rest is rubber. It's ok, but ever wife, family, and pet-friendly.

I had a budget of a grand, plus or minus a little wiggle room. I think the full mesh with rubber ride, hh and crash was another 500 hundred.

• Members
I just saw someplace where Alesis is now offering mesh heads. Seems more and more drummers are a mesh.

Yes

Just whatever you buy, test drive and see what you like best. I was hell-bent on a Roland kit, but like the Yamaha sounds better. I didn't want any weird drum sound and I like the Yamaha maple and birch kit sounds better. Hell if Yamaha can't sample their acoustic kits well, then who can.

Bring a pair of headphones with you when you test drive.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

at the burn i played last month, i broke into a very heavy, primitive groove in my signature gong technique towards the end of a meditation... i know i jumped when they erupted in applause and cheering... ive had a few interesting endings to a meditation, but talk about unexpected! later, a young hippy came up and sez... man, im seriously into metal... heavy metal... but you are my new all time fave metal band... so heavy and its really metal!... doooood!

Another guitarist weighing in... I also have a drum kit with regular heads set up. That’s my preference.

On the the issue of rubber vs mesh pads, I think I lean more towards mesh. They feel more like (but IMO still different than) regular drum heads... but I don’t have either type. My main electronic pads are DIY; I mounted triggers into Remo Practice Pads...

https://www.amazon.com/Remo-RT-0010-00-Practice-Ambassador-Drumhead/dp/B0002E56JY/ref=asc_df_B0002E56JY/

• Members

The drummer in my band turned me on to mesh heads. I bought an Alesis strike kit and love them way better than the rubber heads on my old Simmons set. Night & day difference. I used to play drums and always keep a set around. But I have mostly been gigging on keys & guitar since the 1980's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have two sets of Hart Acupads with 10" Mesh heads on them, but I also put dead ringers under them to help eliminate some of the "playing on a trampoline" feeling. In each kit, i did away with the kick pad, and converted an 18" kick drum into a meshhead pad. The Black pads have a black rack with a Purple Taye 8"x18" kick.

The White kit, has a 14"x 18" Yamaha Marching bass that I converted into an electric mesh-head drum. Each kick is filled with foam, because I hate a bouncy head - I bury the beater in a drum normally, so I totally foamed the kicks out by purchasing sheets of foam, cutting 18" discs out of them, and then gluing them together to make a bug foam plug that fits inside each drum, and I installed a trigger in each one.

Here's a shot of the Taye I bought on Ebay. I got it for $50 shipped, it did not come with tension rods or claws.

And here are some shots of the edrums. I have several midiK.I.T.I.'s (9 trigger TMI's) and an 8-Midi input MOTU unit that connects to a rackmounted PC.

That kickdrum pad holder totally sucks. Every time you would hit it, it would almost topple over because it is top heavy. Unlike most other pads, these Hart pads are made out of steel. So that whole white shell that you see, is steel.

I moved from my former home where I had a soundproofed 25'x25' room to practice in.

Now I'm practicing in a 12'x12' bedroom that I can not do anything with, so the solution was - I sold a couple of my cheapo sets, and purchased all this stuff used. I even use electric cymbals. then I got wise, and went down to a local studio that has the best mic's in town, and I took my acoustic kit, and 35 Paiste cymbals from various lines, and sampled my own drums.

So, my guitarist and I decided that I should try using the electric drums live, with my samples and real cymbals, ala Def Leppard.

So, we're converting one of my Sonor Force kits to be an electric kit.

I'm kind of enjoying the electronics.

I need to start getting back online again.

Archived