Are you a rubber head or a mesh head?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you a rubber head or a mesh head?

I might be a mesh head.
    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

i prefer skins... but neither rubber nor mesh on my acoustic drums. on electronic drummy thingies, i prefer mesh... rybber is too practice paddy..
    for me
    Originally posted by isaac42;n32240445

Voltan is correct.

Comment

If I'm playing electronic drums, I much prefer mesh heads. I don't know... I just hate the feel of rubber pads. Mesh heads do give you a false sense of what an acoustic drum feels like, but as long as you are well-practiced in both, I don't think it will affect you as a player.
      Last edited by drumdude21; 01-18-2019, 01:48 PM.

Comment

By all means state your percussive preference but I was thinking your actual head; metaphor for your mindset/psychological makeup etc...

Comment

I'm mostly an acoustic skins guy, but have played around on rubber and a few times on mesh. And I sometimes use a multi-pad with rubber strike areas. I've recently begun gravitating toward Yamaha's Textured Cellular Silicone (TCS) heads as in their DTX-PADs, although I can't really afford to make that switch without first spinning off the current kit.

The psychic trade-offs between acoustic and electronic makes my head hurt... so my mental debate between the virtues of rubber vs. mesh vs. TCS is only another minor metaphysical detail...

-D44
          ************************************************** *********************************

Old guy, just trying to play through the arthritis...
          - Balance is a virtue; loud for its own sake is not... and loud won't fix bad
          - I may not interpret ridiculous, crazy, or stupid the way you intended
          - Common retail products are never awesome (thermo-nuclear probably is, though)
          Assume the requisite list of stuff...

Comment

Yeah Pinstripes - even dead ones as they are now, before eectrics. I don't mind good samples, just can't relate to playing them in lieu of real drums. Even low volumewise where the electrics win the realism game hands down, I'd rather play acoustic.

Comment

I'm a guitar player, but have a set of Premier Drums at the house I bought 20 years ago. I also have a set of Yamaha DTX532K Electronic Drums

One mesh snare and the rest is rubber. It's ok, but ever wife, family, and pet-friendly.

I had a budget of a grand, plus or minus a little wiggle room. I think the full mesh with rubber ride, hh and crash was another 500 hundred.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

I just saw someplace where Alesis is now offering mesh heads. Seems more and more drummers are a mesh.

Comment

Originally posted by 1001gear View Post
                  I just saw someplace where Alesis is now offering mesh heads. Seems more and more drummers are a mesh.
                  Yes

Just whatever you buy, test drive and see what you like best. I was hell-bent on a Roland kit, but like the Yamaha sounds better. I didn't want any weird drum sound and I like the Yamaha maple and birch kit sounds better. Hell if Yamaha can't sample their acoustic kits well, then who can.

Bring a pair of headphones with you when you test drive.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

im a metal head... GONG!!!!!!!!!!!

Voltan is correct.

Comment

That was unexpected but correct. There's more to drum psych than rubber and mesh.

Comment

at the burn i played last month, i broke into a very heavy, primitive groove in my signature gong technique towards the end of a meditation... i know i jumped when they erupted in applause and cheering... ive had a few interesting endings to a meditation, but talk about unexpected! later, a young hippy came up and sez... man, im seriously into metal... heavy metal... but you are my new all time fave metal band... so heavy and its really metal!... doooood!

Voltan is correct.

Comment

djghhhshshshshsh...

Comment

Another guitarist weighing in... I also have a drum kit with regular heads set up. That’s my preference.

On the the issue of rubber vs mesh pads, I think I lean more towards mesh. They feel more like (but IMO still different than) regular drum heads... but I don’t have either type. My main electronic pads are DIY; I mounted triggers into Remo Practice Pads...

https://www.amazon.com/Remo-RT-0010-00-Practice-Ambassador-Drumhead/dp/B0002E56JY/ref=asc_df_B0002E56JY/

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                            - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                            - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                            - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

The drummer in my band turned me on to mesh heads. I bought an Alesis strike kit and love them way better than the rubber heads on my old Simmons set. Night & day difference. I used to play drums and always keep a set around. But I have mostly been gigging on keys & guitar since the 1980's.

Comment

Working...
                              X