Can you turn it down a bit please?

Phil O'Keefe

Have you ever been asked that question? A lot of drummers have... and now there's something out that many of you may find helpful - the new Sabian FRX Frequency Reduced cymbals. Want to learn more about them? Then be sure to check out my review (you can find it right here) - and as always, if you have any questions or comments about the review, please feel free to post them here.

• Members

I've been really impressed with L80s, for at-home practice, but I'm having trouble with these. I'd guess I could reduce my volume about or close to 4dB by using lighter sticks, and not have to refit my kit at premium. If one were starting from scratch, maybe, but I guess you'd better hope you're happy with the sounds available from this handful of models.

I already assembled my kit with an ear towards controlled volume, so smallish drums with two ply heads, and thinner cymbals that speak without Gronking them.

I've been really impressed with L80s, for at-home practice, but I'm having trouble with these. I'd guess I could reduce my volume about or close to 4dB by using lighter sticks, and not have to refit my kit at premium. If one were starting from scratch, maybe, but I guess you'd better hope you're happy with the sounds available from this handful of models.

As I mentioned in the review, the FRX series are about more than just SPL reduction. There is a volume level decrease compared to most cymbals, but there is also frequency modification going on. There's a bit less of the upper midrange and high frequency blast that you get from most cymbals that can sometimes just be too overpowering. This makes the FRX series seem quieter and far less fatiguing than the -4dB SPL reduction might suggest, and yet they still sound like "real" cymbals in a way that practice cymbals like the L80s, GEN 16 and Quiet Tone models just can't match.

Another nice thing about the FRX series - you don't really have to modify your playing approach, or use different sticks to get the benefits.

I hear you about the relatively limited selection - it would be nice if Sabian offered more choices in the FRX lineup. Some China, splash and different hat sizes would be nice for starters, and they may add those eventually (I hope they do - along with some "bundles" or packages), but all in all, the basic selection that they've made available out of the gate covers a lot of territory.

Thanks for checking out the review, and for your comments! :cool2:

• Members

I did see that, and didn't mean to discount it. Still one is left with a very specific solution for an issue that can be tackled in other ways, so it strikes me as a niche product. Where the L80s triggered a wave of competing products, I don't know that we'll see a similar trend with the FRX series. I wish Sabian the best though, their Vault/V Type/AAX V Crashes are fantastic.

Archived