Guys..Need help choosing a drum set

RuZza

• Members

Hey guys default_smile.png i`m desperate for drumming!

Wanna buy a drum set.i have these options.Please help me to choose one.

I want something that sound good and durable.You are not gonna believe the used drum prices here.I have 5 options

1.PDP CX white made in mexico kit.1178$(sabian B8 cymbols,PDP hardware,DW 3000 peddle)

2.Pearl export kit.1080$.

3.PDP CX red made in mexico kit.1178$

4.PDP FS series made in china kit.982$

Hardware is not in the best condition.cymbal stands are tama made.and the kick drum peddle is a pearl made

5.Mapex voyager kit.425$ (No hi hats or cymbals.it has only one cymbal stand)

6.Yamaha Stage custom.Made in Indonesia.1080$

i can only upload 5 pics here.more pics can be founc on these links

https://ibb.co/jJXzAk

https://ibb.co/d2zPbQ

https://ibb.co/eD3HwQ

https://ibb.co/nQB4bQ

https://ibb.co/mdhSwQ

https://ibb.co/cbyHwQ

https://ibb.co/k4XhVk

https://ibb.co/enRFi5

https://ibb.co/hnJvi5

https://ibb.co/iy4ki5

https://ibb.co/mLSo35

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_124439_1493648567606_981[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_124442_1493648582214_686[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_124444_1493648597958_865[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_124447_1493648623632_475[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_124445_1493648710282_582[/ATTACH]

32090247c2c5bd82469eeb79b2d46766.thumb.JPG.806eb56ff049d7a61058ae214937be2b.JPG

5e79d2a96291e9ddbccf5d7a56c4cc1f.thumb.JPG.4644e74215e0b1e2c770f4a1ed3a453d.JPG

5aa9a2e46e8224046e1024c1a431c838.thumb.JPG.b6040ad6e3ef774c146151fa8e1950a0.JPG

ba8db408cf88b1649de5bd2935873ce6.thumb.JPG.0ac9b05fe221b72d02e6e9b1bfa7429b.JPG

fb5e27e71be158f9fce353daf06ed01c.thumb.JPG.9282e60de9cfa612d5a43a77783b3817.JPG

• Members

RuzZa Welcome!

Some thoughts:

The PDP is a tremendous kit. I purchased one for my sister this past year (it has always been on her bucket list to own a kit like her big brother, so I got her one).

The Mapex is a good quality kit, but in the current selection... you aren't comparing apples and apples. Mapex's $500 kits isn't a good comparison against a PDP $1200 kit.

I think you need to identify several things when purchasing a kit:

1) Am I going to keep with it? (as in - how serious am I and what does my past commitments look like - i.e.: do I start new year's resolutions each year and never keep with it?).

2) Is this for a specific type of music (kit quality needs to match the style of music - i.e.: a $500 kit may not hold up well to metal thrash music)

3) Am I just wanting a beginner kit to get started knowing I'll replace it, or do I want a beginner kit that I can add to once I become a better player?

4) Quality Matters - You get what you pay for in many cases. While some kits have better quality ratings than others, there is a good chance that some kits are made side-by-side in the same off-shore factory. (i.e.: on one day they make X-brand's kits and the next day they make Y-brand's kits).

5) Resale Value - In case you don't keep with it or decide to upscale the kit, make certain you consider resale value. Some kits bring better resale prices than others (color, quality and set configuration come into play in this as well).

I hope this helps.

Dendy

• Members
RuzZa Welcome!

Some thoughts:

The PDP is a tremendous kit. I purchased one for my sister this past year (it has always been on her bucket list to own a kit like her big brother, so I got her one).

The Mapex is a good quality kit, but in the current selection... you aren't comparing apples and apples. Mapex's $500 kits isn't a good comparison against a PDP $1200 kit.

I think you need to identify several things when purchasing a kit:

1) Am I going to keep with it? (as in - how serious am I and what does my past commitments look like - i.e.: do I start new year's resolutions each year and never keep with it?).

2) Is this for a specific type of music (kit quality needs to match the style of music - i.e.: a $500 kit may not hold up well to metal thrash music)

3) Am I just wanting a beginner kit to get started knowing I'll replace it, or do I want a beginner kit that I can add to once I become a better player?

4) Quality Matters - You get what you pay for in many cases. While some kits have better quality ratings than others, there is a good chance that some kits are made side-by-side in the same off-shore factory. (i.e.: on one day they make X-brand's kits and the next day they make Y-brand's kits).

5) Resale Value - In case you don't keep with it or decide to upscale the kit, make certain you consider resale value. Some kits bring better resale prices than others (color, quality and set configuration come into play in this as well).

I hope this helps.

Dendy

Thank u so much for the reply :) That is some really good advice

actually i had a mapex voyager before.the old series which included the 12,14,16 tom sizes.Did not like the sound very and wanted to upgrade to a kit with 10 inch tom(i like that sound) that i can keep for a long time :)

Im still a beginner as a drummer...but i want a kit that is good enough for occasional recording.So i have no idea which one to buy.Specially between those red and white onyx pdp kits

• Members

When you come down to the two PDP kits, it is simply an apple and apple comparison, so it narrows down to choice of color and that is totally a personal preference thing. I like white because it takes on whatever stage lighting color is being used and thus can become a different kit with each light change.

But that's just me ....

D

• Members
When you come down to the two PDP kits, it is simply an apple and apple comparison, so it narrows down to choice of color and that is totally a personal preference thing. I like white because it takes on whatever stage lighting color is being used and thus can become a different kit with each light change.

But that's just me ....

D

Okay! Thank u you so much :D

I have one final question...Would you rather buy a brand new made in china PDP concept maple kit with PDP 800 hardware pack(no cymbals) for 1117$

or this red one for 1183$?(it has dw drum heads in mint condition with sabian B8 cymbal pack,superkick 2 kick drum batter head)

fetch?filedataid=124459&type=thumb

435e74e94da18016d24c3349450cd15d.thumb.JPG.b1d94a85b48f55bd7689b516d2a5cdaf.JPG

• Members

B8s are decent starter cymbals and do have a value albeit used not as much as new.

The heads to also carry a value as bass drum heads alone are pricey.

That said, the PDP I got for my Sister came with great PDP marque Remo heads and sounded great without the upgrade.

If I had the money, I'd buy new and get better cymbals. If budget is a huge concern, buy the used.

I like white though!

D

• Members
B8s are decent starter cymbals and do have a value albeit used not as much as new.

The heads to also carry a value as bass drum heads alone are pricey.

That said, the PDP I got for my Sister came with great PDP marque Remo heads and sounded great without the upgrade.

If I had the money, I'd buy new and get better cymbals. If budget is a huge concern, buy the used.

I like white though!

D

Thank so much! :)

• Members

I will agree with what Dendy is saying: Anymore, it seems that most known name brands make decent sets. I like all the brands here, but putting a $500 set against a $1000 set is hard to compare. I would have to put a shout out for the Yamaha Stage Custom: Although I couldn't find the pic of them. The older Customs have inner plys of Phillipine Falkata? wood and outer layer of Birch. They sound really nice and hold up great. The only thing I've really noticed about Yamaha is that you cannot overtighten the tom mount balls too much as this makes them loose over time.

With any set, upgrading the heads or choosing the heads that sound best to you, or for your style of playing, can make all the difference. Also with ANY used set, I would try them out in person if I could, make sure all the stuff works (No striped out stands, missing or damaged lugs, etc) plus the bearing edges (the edge of the shell that the drum head actually sit on) is smooth and true. This isn't as much as an issue as it was 35-40 years ago but is nice to check. Plus where I live it's fairly easy to find PDP, Pearl or Yamaha parts or add ons. Not so much here for Mapex although most Mapex sets I've seen are nice as well.

Also later on down the road, I would advise to upgrade the cymbals as well, at least the hats/ride/ and at least one crash. I'm not saying only the most expensive cymbals are the best, I'm saying that having cymbals that sound like the ones you hear in your mind are usually found to be in the medium to upper tier range of whichever brand. Overall, good heads (With proper tuning), decent cymbals and maybe a good bass pedal can make MOST sets sound really good and fun to play! Hope this helps!!

• Members
I will agree with what Dendy is saying: Anymore, it seems that most known name brands make decent sets. I like all the brands here, but putting a $500 set against a $1000 set is hard to compare. I would have to put a shout out for the Yamaha Stage Custom: Although I couldn't find the pic of them. The older Customs have inner plys of Phillipine Falkata? wood and outer layer of Birch. They sound really nice and hold up great. The only thing I've really noticed about Yamaha is that you cannot overtighten the tom mount balls too much as this makes them loose over time.

With any set, upgrading the heads or choosing the heads that sound best to you, or for your style of playing, can make all the difference. Also with ANY used set, I would try them out in person if I could, make sure all the stuff works (No striped out stands, missing or damaged lugs, etc) plus the bearing edges (the edge of the shell that the drum head actually sit on) is smooth and true. This isn't as much as an issue as it was 35-40 years ago but is nice to check. Plus where I live it's fairly easy to find PDP, Pearl or Yamaha parts or add ons. Not so much here for Mapex although most Mapex sets I've seen are nice as well.

Also later on down the road, I would advise to upgrade the cymbals as well, at least the hats/ride/ and at least one crash. I'm not saying only the most expensive cymbals are the best, I'm saying that having cymbals that sound like the ones you hear in your mind are usually found to be in the medium to upper tier range of whichever brand. Overall, good heads (With proper tuning), decent cymbals and maybe a good bass pedal can make MOST sets sound really good and fun to play! Hope this helps!!

That was really helpful thank you so much! :)

There is a yamaha stage custom advantage(Made in Indonesia) drum kit for 1100$ with zildijan cymbals and pearl hardware.I was n`t sure if it was any good and the condition was not that good too.Any ideas on this would be great too :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31971893[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31971894[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31971895[/ATTACH]

Im thinking of buying the white pdp cx at the moment..Only thing that bugs me is i cant find the manufacture year of the drum set.Red pdp cx model has it written inside the shell.So this kinda worries me

• Members

The Green Fade Yamaha Stage Custom is a decent looking set. With the YESS mounts on the toms (the tom rod does not go through the shell and the mounts are on the side of the toms means that it's after 2002ish when these were made). The Green "Fade" finish didn't come out until later on?? So I think the set may be newer than that?? Also pre-2002 Stage Custom badges (The placard on the side of the drum) is more square. If you do look at this set and see "Birch" under the Stage Custom name, then the set is even newer than that, like 2006 or 2007 or maybe newer?? The heads are okay, the tom heads look old and it looks like he had a big piece of tape on the floor tom? But they should sound okay? the heads can washed with a wet towel and then dried to look better.

The Cymbals are Zildjian but what Series Zildjian's I can't tell. IF they are A's, K's, Z's or even A Customs that would be nice. Schimatar (spelled wrong) used to be their entry level cymbals and can only get one sound out of them. On any cymbals, check the edges and the bell (center hole) for cracks or chips and play them if you can to see if they are decent enough for you. The snare I'm not sure about, but if it's a Yamaha it is most likely a "Steel" snare which is a decent snare. The nice thing about the snare is that it's a 10 lug snare meaning it can be more fine-tuned for your needs, I would also turn the snare over to make sure the snares themselves are not bent, loose and mounted correctly. Also try throwing the snare on and off. The snare stand looks like a Yamaha, the Hi Hat and Cymbal stands look like Pearls. If I had to guess? I would says he bought the drums only (shell pack) in around 2005-2007?? (Maybe??) and then added a Pearl Hardware pack (stands and bass pedal) to go with it??

Bottom line: The drums (shells only) were around $700-800 New, The stands all together were around $200 new?? Maybe with the Bass Pedal $300 (The crash stand is not a boom) Assuming the Zildjian's are Series A or better, than around $500-700 for the cymbals?? So that would be around $1800 for it all on the high end since you said drum sets were high where you lived. Normally the most used value on sets is "Roughly" half what you spent for a new set, so that would put it all at around $900 So $1100 is kinda high, but maybe he's willing to come down a little bit on price for any wear and tear on the set?? (The shells LOOK really good) The toms look more like they're "fusion" sizes so it should be great for all around music styles?

The seat (Throne) looks like a $30 old school seat. Today, even the cheap decent thrones are at around $60. If you weight a lot or you're hard on your seats like I am, you might get a better one and the really nice ones can run about $100. If it sounds like it looks in the pics, I would think getting it for $1,000 would be Okay, Getting it for $900 would be good, getting it for $800 or lower would be great!! I think with a little cleaning and tuning, it could be a nice set, great with some newer heads, better seat, tuning and cleaning. Assuming the cymbals, snare and such are at least decent. Hope this helps!!! -Twosticks ;-)

• Members
The Green Fade Yamaha Stage Custom is a decent looking set. With the YESS mounts on the toms (the tom rod does not go through the shell and the mounts are on the side of the toms means that it's after 2002ish when these were made). The Green "Fade" finish didn't come out until later on?? So I think the set may be newer than that?? Also pre-2002 Stage Custom badges (The placard on the side of the drum) is more square. If you do look at this set and see "Birch" under the Stage Custom name, then the set is even newer than that, like 2006 or 2007 or maybe newer?? The heads are okay, the tom heads look old and it looks like he had a big piece of tape on the floor tom? But they should sound okay? the heads can washed with a wet towel and then dried to look better.

The Cymbals are Zildjian but what Series Zildjian's I can't tell. IF they are A's, K's, Z's or even A Customs that would be nice. Schimatar (spelled wrong) used to be their entry level cymbals and can only get one sound out of them. On any cymbals, check the edges and the bell (center hole) for cracks or chips and play them if you can to see if they are decent enough for you. The snare I'm not sure about, but if it's a Yamaha it is most likely a "Steel" snare which is a decent snare. The nice thing about the snare is that it's a 10 lug snare meaning it can be more fine-tuned for your needs, I would also turn the snare over to make sure the snares themselves are not bent, loose and mounted correctly. Also try throwing the snare on and off. The snare stand looks like a Yamaha, the Hi Hat and Cymbal stands look like Pearls. If I had to guess? I would says he bought the drums only (shell pack) in around 2005-2007?? (Maybe??) and then added a Pearl Hardware pack (stands and bass pedal) to go with it??

Bottom line: The drums (shells only) were around $700-800 New, The stands all together were around $200 new?? Maybe with the Bass Pedal $300 (The crash stand is not a boom) Assuming the Zildjian's are Series A or better, than around $500-700 for the cymbals?? So that would be around $1800 for it all on the high end since you said drum sets were high where you lived. Normally the most used value on sets is "Roughly" half what you spent for a new set, so that would put it all at around $900 So $1100 is kinda high, but maybe he's willing to come down a little bit on price for any wear and tear on the set?? (The shells LOOK really good) The toms look more like they're "fusion" sizes so it should be great for all around music styles?

The seat (Throne) looks like a $30 old school seat. Today, even the cheap decent thrones are at around $60. If you weight a lot or you're hard on your seats like I am, you might get a better one and the really nice ones can run about $100. If it sounds like it looks in the pics, I would think getting it for $1,000 would be Okay, Getting it for $900 would be good, getting it for $800 or lower would be great!! I think with a little cleaning and tuning, it could be a nice set, great with some newer heads, better seat, tuning and cleaning. Assuming the cymbals, snare and such are at least decent. Hope this helps!!! -Twosticks ;-)

WOW! that really helps a lot! Cant thank u enough :) i cant get that kinda info from anyone around here.

This may be a little stupid since there are not many pics of that white pdp set.I will try my best to get more pics..if its not too much trouble can u give me some info about it by looking at those pics?

fetch?filedataid=124632&type=thumb

fetch?filedataid=124439&type=thumb

Seller has replaced remo heads with evans coated heads and Sabian B8 with zhildijan...It has a DW 7000 single peddle

3280e0d14f0f17588674d502daf6cf8f.thumb.JPG.090d240e0d8dc051aecd825907b93c0f.JPG

32090247c2c5bd82469eeb79b2d46766.thumb.JPG.418881f742b27cf9e3888ae951837783.JPG

• Members

Well, with PDP also known as "Pacific Drum Productions"? I don't know near as much. They were developed by DW (Drummers Workshop) who used to only make high end custom sets, and to quote from DW's site on their history : "To accommodate an increasing need for space, DW moved to its current facility in Oxnard, Calif., in 2000. That same year, DW created a new line of drums called Pacific Drums and Percussion to meet the demand for entry to mid-level players. The new line still uses some custom techniques, but primarily uses computerized machinery to cut costs and reduce steps to create high-quality drums in large quantities."

(cont.) "DW moved most production of Pacific drums to a DW-run factory in Ensenada, Mexico, in 2002. Pacific Drums have now made DW's innovation and quality available to a larger market, while still maintaining the reputation of DW drums as high-end unique instruments.

"While Pacific kits are high-quality, they're not high-priced because they're not custom," Don says. "With Pacific, you're not so much selling high-end features, as much as you're selling the opportunity for a person to get into playing drums no matter what their ability level."

So PDP are good decent sets for the money. Evans heads are good and B8's were and are Sabian's basic entry level cymbals: It doesn't say what kind of Zildjian's they were replaced with so I can't say about them. All these pics seem to look like they are set up in the same type of house? Where are you located?? Do all the houses look the same there?? Just wondering why none of these sets are indoors or in a studio??

Overall, I think with ANY of these sets, you will be just fine. You never mentioned what type of music that you're wanting to play so I can't say why one set might fit you more than another. You might check the web and look for the history on the drum makers or see reviews from buyers of these sets. Hope this helps and good luck drumming!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

There is a yamaha stage custom advantage(Made in Indonesia) drum kit for 1100$ with zildijan cymbals and pearl hardware.I was n`t sure if it was any good and the condition was not that good too.Any ideas on this would be great too :)

I would likely favor some Yamaha over most PDP, and in fact my acoustic kit is all Yamaha Custom Absolute... Stage Custom isn't exactly the same, but similar, and the Stage Custom kits I've heard have all sounded good.

YESS mounts seem to work well...

Aside from the heads, I can't see anything in those pics that suggest the Yamaha condition is "not that good." And you'd likely want to replace heads eventually anyway...

The Zildjians look like they've been a round the block a time or two, but they may sound just fine... and if they don't match what you want to hear, you could likely spin those off afterwards, to fund whatever you might prefer. I have Zildjians (K Constantinople hats and ride, and A Zildjian & Cie Vintage crashes) and they sound pretty good. Not all are the same, of course, but without having heard them you'd have at least a 50/50 chance of liking them. Possible even better odds, compared to some of the entry-level brands/models.

-D44

Archived