Best way to pick up drums? Guitarist moving to the dark side

Acooljt

• Members

Hello all, I'll introduce myself since I've never been in the Drums forum: I'm Aaron. I've played music for 19 years total, guitar for 17. Dude to some heart issues, my doctor wants me to take up exercise. I figured this would be a good opportunity to learn the drums. Guitar will remain my primary instrument though, my first love and all that. I've already done some research and since I live in an apartment, it sounds like electronic drums are the only way to go. Furthermore, it sounds like everyone says go with Yamaha or Roland. So my question now is: what is the best way to learn? Can I learn from instructional videos just as well as lessons or do I need lessons? If videos will do, what is the best one(s)? Since I've played music for a while, I'm familiar with note values, counting, etc. My big influences are probably similar to many of you: Mike Portnoy, Charlie Benante, Bill Bruford, Jason Rullo, Carl Palmer, Martin Axenrot, Gavin Harrison, etc. Thank you all for your help. Rock on!

• Members

I usually pick up drums by the hoop; fingers under the collar and thumb over the rim.

Seriously, the prog/metal guys are probably the worst example for beginners. Even if you are thoroughly versed in either or both genre, drumming has a primal and purely physical component that is best taken from square one. Closer to Hal Blaine than Portnoy for sure.

• Members

For sure, I have no illusions of being Neil Peart. As I said, guitar is still my primary instrument. I just thought I'd throw some people out there for the direction I'd like to head once I learn the basics. I'm more concerned with whether I can learn through a video(s) or if lessons are the best way. And if videos can be done, which are the best?

• Members

Hey there Aaron and welcome,

I would imagine it would be similar to learning any instrument from the beginning. You should be able to pick up a lot from videos, including bad habits. If you're not with an instructor of some sort things like hand and foot technique are going to be more difficult. But for the basic knowledge of the roll of a drummer (no pun intended) videos are a great way to go.

Have fun and check back with more questions.

• Members

Ok, so maybe take lessons for a few months and then gonthe video route, you think? When I first started guitar my lessons were free from a friend of our family, otherwise we couldn't have afforded it. Of course, that was 17 years ago, but I'm still cheap, haha.

• Members
Hello all' date=' I'll introduce myself since I've never been in the Drums forum: I'm Aaron. I've played music for 19 years total, guitar for 17. Dude to some heart issues, my doctor wants me to take up exercise. I figured this would be a good opportunity to learn the drums. [/quote']

If it's just about the exercise, you might get about the same work-out from a cajon.

Otherwise, at least a few introductory lessons it a pretty good way to get started. And there are several training DVDs for beginners out there...

-D44

• Members

FIRST: Learn how to sit, hold the sticks, learn how to let the stick bounce, where to the hit the drum, etc. AT LEAST one or two lessons to let a teacher (like at a music store) show and watch you play in person will be worth it's weight in gold!! Also is VERY HARD to correct bad habits after you start playing. Also E-kits are not "Sound Proof" , you will still get some sounds from your sticks hitting the pad and your foot stomping the floor. The "Sound" is close to drumming on pillows or leather bound books. The feel of E-drums to real drums is somewhat of a curve too. Kinda like those sit down driving arcade games versus driving a real car, They are darn close, but not exactly the same. Depending on the E-kit and settings, there is just a hares second between hitting a pad and hearing the sound, plus e-kit cymbals are not really like a real cymbal. And e-kit hi-hats are not really close to the real feel of real hat especially if there's only a pedal at the bottom and pad at the top. BUT Roland or Yamaha kits are both very good kits to start with if you can't make that much noise.

I would equate learning drums to learning how to drive a stick shift car, you have multiple things going on at once AND you have to watch the leader or listen to music and others as you play. It's gonna take awhile to learn the first very simple stuff and keep it going (you learn how to sit and hit, then you start to learn simple beats which takes weeks to months) Then you practice how to play fills and then you go back to the basic beat again and you wreck! so, you start over and over again, then more beats and more fills, then rests and how to keep the time in your head while your playing, then how not to drag or race the beat as you play with CDs or others, then 3/4 time, half time, triplets, flams, Closed versus open hats, how to keep your right hand from copying your right leg and so on. You can do it, it just takes time and practice and you have to keep your chops up to get better.

Here is only ONE Video that can help you get started and how it looks like, hopes this helps, ask us if you need more help and sometimes the best thing is to just dive in and get started! I learned by first air drumming, watching videos of band playing and then playing along to Tapes and Records in the late 70's and 80's! But please get a few lessons to start! Gear is easy, Practice and keeping time in your head is hard! Until it because natural like as you learn to drive a stick! Good Luck!

• Members

Thanks everyone for the input. So it sounds like the plan is to take lessons for a few months till I learn the fundamentals. Can you guys recommend a couple of DVD's to take me from there?

I'm definitely aware of the pitfalls of bad habits from playing guitar this long, I think a lot of those lessons are transferrable.

• Members
With regular practice and a week or two to a month or so' date=' this is how you will mostly likely sound, Depending on how much you practice. This is how WE all started. ;-) Is close to how I sounded at 16 when I got my first set! ;-)[/quote']

Haha, that's fine, I remember (barely) my early days on the guitar.

• Members
Thanks everyone for the input. So it sounds like the plan is to take lessons for a few months till I learn the fundamentals. Can you guys recommend a couple of DVD's to take me from there?

Potentially useful DVDs:

- Snare Drum Basics, Bob Breithaupt

- Getting Started on Drums, Tommy Igoe

- Rock Drums Steps 1 & 2, Tom Brechtlein

If you go for lessons, discuss with the instructor what drums you really need, and when you need them. Could be as simple as starting with a practice pad. Add a cereal box after a while. IOW, don't spend big bucks before you have a chance to assess whether that's useful or not.

-D44

• Members

Back to the cardio. Beginning drums is about efficiency and other than lactic acid aches, wouldn't provide much of a workout. What kind of shape are you in? I have light dumbells that I sometimes use for dumming moves; reaching for cymbals and toms for instance. Light weights - 2lb or less are plenty for this; any weight that you're comfortable holding at arms length; soup cans etc... Imagine a monster kit around you and start reaching for all the stuff. You can do this sitting but standing gives more potential for real exercise. 8th notes at 60 BPM is good.

• Members

I don't anticipate the beginning drumming to be much of a workout. But once I get the basics and can move on to faster stuff like Maiden and Metallica that I should be able to. At some point being able to add in double bass too. I've read a lot of people recommend the video by Igoe.

• Members

Question for you guys: is there any downside to buying a drumset and just putting mutes on it vs. getting the electronic set? I'm not always going to live in an apartment so rather than buy an e-set now and acoustic set later, it seems to just make more sense to buy one set. Plus I have the option of playing gigs (in the future) with an acoustic set where I really don't have that option with than e-set.

• Members
Question for you guys: is there any downside to buying a drumset and just putting mutes on it vs. getting the electronic set? I'm not always going to live in an apartment so rather than buy an e-set now and acoustic set later' date=' it seems to just make more sense to buy one set. Plus I have the option of playing gigs (in the future) with an acoustic set where I really don't have that option with than e-set.[/quote']

Pros and cons. Without regard to sound (yet), e-drums feel different than real heads. Even different e-drums feel different (mesh vs. rubber; Brand X vs. Brand Y, etc.). Real heads with mutes feel different, too. Real cymbals feel different than e-cymbals, but come with their own muting issues, too.

You might want to sample different heads and cymbals (real and e-) at someplace like a GC or wherever to get a feel (pun) for the differences... before you decide how to proceed.

E-drums are giggable; not sure why you say you wouldn't have that option. Not necessarily as visually satisfying for those of us who grew up before electricity was invented... but they can work well enough. And then there are potentially some load-in/load-out differences, some perhaps beneficial with e-drums.

-D44

• Members

Acooljt -

You could literally start with just a practice pad and sticks. And while it sounds boring as all get out, just practicing open 16th notes with a high stroke can get you a pretty good cardio work out. This way you aren't into drums too deep before you determine your level of interest and the benefit level of the "exercise" value.

D

• Members
Acooljt -

You could literally start with just a practice pad and sticks. And while it sounds boring as all get out, just practicing open 16th notes with a high stroke can get you a pretty good cardio work out. This way you aren't into drums too deep before you determine your level of interest and the benefit level of the "exercise" value.

D

Thanks for the help guys. I feel comfortable purchasing a set (whether electronic or acoustic) because I know I'll stick with it. I've been playing guitar for 17 years and when I was 15 I bought a junky 1967 Mustang and restored it myself. So dedication is not an issue with me. Like I said before, I'm cheap (thrifty?) so I wouldn't do it unless I was 100% sure I'm gonna get my moneys worth.

• Members

Just remember: that a good drummer can take a junk set and make it sound good, A crappy drummer can have the best equipment and still sound crappy. Good gear makes it SO MUCH easier to play and is well worth it once you know what you want, but in the meantime, learning the craft, making cheap instruments work and fit your needs is half the fun!! Eg: Notice you will see NO Drums or Cymbals or even mics during this whole performance! Is part of learning drums AND also room acoustics, how you hit, does effect how that guy 20 feet down the road hear's your playing!

• Members

After scouring the internet for reviews and everything, I think I've settled on the Yamaha DTX522K. It's modestly priced but still has the capability to take a double bass in the future and has great reviews. I love Roland/Boss products just from playing guitar but it sounds like from reviews that the best bang for you buck is Yamaha.

• Members
After scouring the internet for reviews and everything' date=' I think I've settled on the Yamaha DTX522K. It's modestly priced but still has the capability to take a double bass in the future and has great reviews. I love Roland/Boss products just from playing guitar but it sounds like from reviews that the best bang for you buck is Yamaha.[/quote']

Seems a reasonable choice, on paper. I've got a DTX Multi thing that shows promise, sounds decent (there's a thread in here on that).

You should go somewhere and play on those heads first, though. Compare rubber to whatever that white stuff is that Yamaha uses, compare those to Roland mesh, etc. Sounds is one thing, feel (and stick response) is another. Not a critique of Yamaha heads, just an observation that you'll likely end up playing better with heads that feel better to you.

FWIW, rubber heads (like on the DTX multi, and at least one of the Roland pads) are kinda hard on my hands, wrists, and elbows... so I don't seem to be able to play those as long as I can with real heads. I don't have much stick time with Yamaha "white stuff" heads or with Roland mesh... so don't know whether those would have the same affect or not. (Perhaps others can comment on that.)

-D44

• Members

dendy nailed it.... don't overthink this thing... ive seen pretty nice practice pad kits that would suit this just fine and save you the trouble of deciding electric/acoustic... rattle can blue /sparkle wood grain metal flake color change pearl vortex....$10,000.00 drum blah blah customs / pawn shop mix and match... but prolly the moist important thing to remember when picking up drums is always lift with your legs, not your back...

Archived